XPEnology Community

Installing DSM 6.1 - cant connect

Hi there guys..

I almost had it, and ready to throw my pc out of the window.

Been running dsm 6.1 junes loader v1.02a and been pretty happy about it, two weeks about i wanted to update my loader to the v1.02b version. SO got a new usb and flashed the image with win32disk, just as i did the last time. Dinnt change anything, just as the last time. Booted up, and everything seemed fine, the synology assist finds the nas, but when i try to reinstall the nas, everything fails. It says it cant connect, but the nas shows up. 

If I put in my old usb, the same thing happens.. the nas shows up, but cant connect.. 

Pleas help, 

Regards

Jan

On 28/11/2017 at 7:44 PM, Dfds said:

Some info regarding hardware etc might help.

Sorry I dinnt replayed faster.. 

The thing is, that i think it was the pc, so i changed it, but now I cant even load the kernel. It just stops after the "Screen will stop updating shortly"

The PC im using is a Lenovo Thinkcenter Edge 72

https://noteboox.de/Lenovo-ThinkCentre-Edge-72-3493_1

The lan and usb should be supported, as fare as i can tell, 

The Lenovo machine should be compatible okay.

The 'Screen will stop updating' is normal behaviour.

Things to check;

You have correctly edited the usb vid/pid settings

Update the extra.lzma file with the enhanced version (4.1) by @IG-88

Connect the serial port to a PC and check the boot loading logs via a Putty session - you can see lan modules loading and dhcp/ip address logs

the storage should be ahci (its a i3 cpu, so it will be a intel chipset with ahci) and the nic seems to be realtek so it should work without any additional extra.lzma

i did this (1.02a -> 1.02b) half a year ago, dont remember any problems

vid/pid matching to the usb stick, added mac and sn, fixed it in a few seconds with the synology assistent

check if you downloaded/used the right image as there are three (3615/3617/916)

15 hours ago, IG-88 said:

the storage should be ahci (its a i3 cpu, so it will be a intel chipset with ahci) and the nic seems to be realtek so it should work without any additional extra.lzma

i did this (1.02a -> 1.02b) half a year ago, dont remember any problems

vid/pid matching to the usb stick, added mac and sn, fixed it in a few seconds with the synology assistent

check if you downloaded/used the right image as there are three (3615/3617/916)

Just tried again.

Took a usb - wiped it, formated it to ntfs. its a 2gb disk.

changed vid/pid and sn in the grub file.
Note sure what nic mac is and where to find it, so dinnt change that.

Also used the updated drivers v.4, and im using the right image for 3615

flashed, and booted.. same problem.. it stops at the "Screen will stop updating", nothing else.. just a dot, and nothing else.. 

tested the ethernet with a windows boot, and it connects no problem. 

What am i doing wrong?

33 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

did you tried without additional extra.lzma, just the 1.0b as it comes?

if you still have the "original" 1.02a, that one should at least bring the system to the point where synology assistant finds it in network

just tried 6.0.2 same thing.. Nothing to be found.. Guess im out of luck, and need to start looking for something else :(

I had a similar issue, but the fact that the old USB isn't working tells me there might be a corrupted DSM install on your old drives. 

Start with the basics:

1. VID/PID correct?   MAC needs to be different from any other device.  If you're copying the MAC from your Windows PC, that will explain why it doesn't work.  Make sure you SAVE the updated grub file (I made this mistake once)

2. Network cable plugged in?  Seriously, check that there are little lights on the NIC showing its connected.

3. Before powering up anything, unplug the router and plug it back in so it clears the DHCP leases.  Then power everything on.

4. Check the router to see if your NAS is pulling an IP address.  If it is, try navigating to it directly, if not...

5. Try both Synology Assistant as well as find.synology.com.  I've had one work where the other doesn't.

6. If nothing works, disconnect your HDDs and plug in a single temporary drive and repeat.  If that works, install xpenology as normal, then disconnect the temp drive and reconnect the old ones.  Check my "Recoverable Loop fix" thread in the Tutorials section.  

If none of that works, let us know

• Like 1

the MAC is the from the pc, im using as a nas. Booted it with a windows-hdd to check connection ect. Works like a charm. Have the same pc running freenas now.. booted on the first install.. SO i really dont see why i cant get xpenology working.. think ill have another look tomorrow, getting sick of seeing it fail :)

The serial number and mac you use in the grub config need to be specific to a real Synology device. The one in the default grub of the loader version you're using will be a matched pair for the device the loader is emulating. I.e. you can't invent a serial number or mac and the two you use need to be a matched pair, that meets the values expected for a real Synology DS3615xs, if that's the hardware supported by loader you have chosen. You can't use the serial and mac for a DS3615xs in the grub for the DS916+ it wont work.

Try again and this time only change the vid and pid values to match your usb stick in the grub, and use the default serial and mac.

Edited by CtrlAltDel

mac and serial are not important when it comes to installing dsm

even the vi/pid is not needed to "see" the booted loader in network (if it works), there are a lot of people that forgot to change vid/pid and they usually failed when trying to install the dsm file (implication with that is the booted system from usb was "seen" in network before)

his network connection and dhcp server looks ok, he posted a picture of the system running windows and there where valid dhcp settings like ip, dns and defaul gateway, also it clear from that picture  that it is a realtek nic

the thread started with a working 1.02a usb stick, that one should at least work and when its not available a newly created usb stick with that version is worth a try, best if you still have the old file you used to create it

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...