IG-88

Driver extension jun 1.02b/DSM6.1.x for 3615xs / 3617xs / 916+

9 hours ago, sbv3000 said:

I'm not sure this will work for you exactly, but have you looked at Audio Station and setting up multiple devices for multi room setup? Might be easier than compiling etc

Yea I looked at that, but cost was a huge factor. A device that could do DLNA or airplay or chromecast etc would be minimum ~$50, where as I got the Asus Xonar for like $30 haha.

1 hour ago, IG-88 said:

it does not have to be on windows 10, you also can use a chroot enviroment on the nas or in a vm

even if you get the driver to work, you also have to create the alsa stuff (does not look like as there is enough in dsm like alsactl or alsamixer, aplay, ...) and you will have to compile and install shairpoint-sync, also configuring and using that without a gui(?) or is there a plugin doing this multiroom over alsa?

Yea that's what I was thinking - surely all the ALSA stuff can be installed using debian chroot? I was thinking about installing shairport-sync in a docker environment (it doesn't have a GUI, it's a CL interface).

@moda

From reading about the technology you want to use, it seems that a lot of people have had some good success using a Rasberry Pi (with audio output) and using shairsync to connect directly to the Synology using the itunes sharing service (AudioStation i believe it's called)

While this could incur a new cost, that being the cost of a RasPi - I personally feel that this would be a better solution that trying to compile drivers, bug fix all of that path etc etc with little to no support.

Just my two cents :)

24 minutes ago, AlienX said:

@moda

From reading about the technology you want to use, it seems that a lot of people have had some good success using a Rasberry Pi (with audio output) and using shairsync to connect directly to the Synology using the itunes sharing service (AudioStation i believe it's called)

While this could incur a new cost, that being the cost of a RasPi - I personally feel that this would be a better solution that trying to compile drivers, bug fix all of that path etc etc with little to no support.

Just my two cents :)

Same thinking here which is why I suggested audio station. the remote end needs some sort of client/amp and not sure how an audio card solves that (unless cables are being run to various remote amps :( )

1 minute ago, sbv3000 said:

Same thinking here which is why I suggested audio station. the remote end needs some sort of client/amp and not sure how an audio card solves that (unless cables are being run to various remote amps :( )

Ah i totally missed your comment, sorry hah.

Not really sure ref how to get different streams out, however i know that Optical (SPDIF isnt it?) can support up to 5 or 6 different channels down the same wire, perhaps something can be done with that on a Rasberry Pi - and interesting project indeed.