XPEnology Community

Driver extension jun 1.02b/DSM6.1.x for 3615xs / 3617xs / 916+

IG-88

Need driver qla2xxx.ko for DSM 6.1.x (kernel 3.10.102)

After compile and insert driver to extra.lzma I see:

[    5.976266] qla2xxx: Unknown symbol fc_attach_transport (err 0)
[    5.976284] qla2xxx: Unknown symbol fc_remote_port_add (err 0)
[    5.976299] qla2xxx: Unknown symbol fc_remove_host (err 0)
[    5.976335] qla2xxx: Unknown symbol fc_block_scsi_eh (err 0)
[    5.976347] qla2xxx: Unknown symbol fc_remote_port_delete (err 0)
[    5.976360] qla2xxx: Unknown symbol fc_host_post_event (err 0)
[    5.976369] qla2xxx: Unknown symbol fc_release_transport (err 0)
[    5.976384] qla2xxx: Unknown symbol fc_vport_create (err 0)
[    5.976397] qla2xxx: Unknown symbol fc_remote_port_rolechg (err 0)
[    5.976413] qla2xxx: Unknown symbol fc_vport_terminate (err 0)
[    5.976442] qla2xxx: Unknown symbol fc_get_event_number (err 0)
[    5.976466] qla2xxx: Unknown symbol scsi_is_fc_rport (err 0)

Compile and insert scsi_transport_fc.ko

After start 

[  111.594641] scsi_transport_fc: Unknown symbol scsi_nl_sock (err 0)

scsi_nl_sock I'm find in scsi_netlink.c, but not compile to module

Any idea?

the scsi_priv.h is included in scsi_transport_fc.c and this contains

scsi_priv.h
/* scsi_netlink.c */
#ifdef CONFIG_SCSI_NETLINK
extern void scsi_netlink_init(void);
extern void scsi_netlink_exit(void);
extern struct sock *scsi_nl_sock;
#else
static inline void scsi_netlink_init(void) {}
static inline void scsi_netlink_exit(void) {}
#endif

CONFIG_SCSI_NETLINK is set to yes in the kernel config, so it looks ok

the scsi_netlink.c (providing the code in question) is not compiled with "make modules" but the scsi_netlink.o is present after a "make bzImage" so its something that needs to be in the kernel but is not part of the kernel synology uses

so i guess "FC" can't be used

Edited by IG-88

8 часов назад, IG-88 сказал:

the scsi_netlink.c (providing the code in question)

To: linux-scsi@vger.kernel.org

Subject: [PATCH] [REPOST] SCSI and FC Transport: add netlink support for posting of transport events

Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 17:30:09 -0400

This patch formally adds support for the posting of FC events via netlink.

if you use the driver before this patch, I can do scsi_transport_fc.ko without scsi_nl_sock and other function?

that was 7 years before kernel 3.10 we are using, i can't see how thats supposed to work

netlink is something socket based to communicate between kernel and unserspace

if you look in Kconfig in /drivers/scsi/ you will see that activating scsi_transport_fc triggers netlink_scsitransport so i guess its not optional, and there is no gui option for netlink_scsitransport

i'm not going to look into this further

anyway what do  you want with fc drivers, dsm is not build in any way to support fc (afaik), so even if you get the driver to load there will be tons of stuff missing for handling fc

depending on whats your goal there might be other systems better suited for this purpose

Hi Guys,

Seem to have an odd problem with my system. I Have a Adaptec 5805 which should be included in the drivers for 6.1 when i do the lspci is see the driver is active but it does not see my attached disks. Strange thing is that when I do exactly the same using DMS 5.2 i can install DSM on the same machine by switching between 6.1 and 5.2 USB boot device.

There seems to be a problem with the driver in loader 6.1 which does not show my devices attached, while same system withhout changing any settings works perfect with DMS 5.2. Is anyone able to update or change the driver so I can upgrade to 6.5 and use all available disk slots? I'm currently limted to the Board which only has 5 disks.

Thanks Hemant

that somehow sounds familiar (i remember extending the aacraid section)  and ... we already had this settled in december (i thought)

last point was the driver is working in general for the controller but not in a hp dc7900, so it was something specific about the hp dc7900

under normal linux conditions we would use a recent kernel and maybe it was fixed in the last 3 or 4 years but we are stuck with the kernel synology uses for the three images we have (unlocked) so there is nothing i can do about it, no external source and kernel 3.10.102 driver is all we have

her are some options:

- check if it was fixed in e newer kernel and backporting this changes - but who should do this (i can't backport, only if someone delivers a ready made working diff file against the synology source i'd be able to use it)

- trying a similar distribution with a newer kernel like open media vault (it also has a good gui for raid, docker, plugins and other things)

- buy a controller that is working with dsm 6.1 like mpt2sas/mpt3sas compatible controllers (there are cheap oem versions that can be crossflached to it-firmware) or ahci driver compatible ones like the syba 4 port controllers with marvel chip (dont use the cheap syba 8 port they use a portmultiplier and thats blocked by synology so they will only work as 4 port controller)

also please dont post in more then one sections with the same problem (you asked the same in driver requests)

@IG-88

Thanks for your reply, earlier i thought it was a DC7900 specific issue but it was not.

I tried 5805 in another system with DMS 6.1 and it worked but not on the DC7900

I Tried 5805 on the DC 7900 with DSM 5.2 which works fine.

What I don undertand is that if the driver works with DSM 6.1 not on the DC7900 which again works with DMS 5.2.

I noticed this line in the Dmesg:

[    4.955203] scsi6 : aacraid
[    5.260571] BUG: unable to handle kernel paging request at ffff8803126909fc

Tried playing with portmap without any luck.

Sorry for the earlier double posts.

Cheers,

Hemant

5 hours ago, hemant said:

What I don undertand is that if the driver works with DSM 6.1 not on the DC7900 which again works with DMS 5.2.

I noticed this line in the Dmesg:

4.955203] scsi6 : aacraid
[    5.260571] BUG: unable to handle kernel paging request at ffff8803126909fc

the fact that aacraid on 6.1 does work on one system proofs that the driver is not broken, so the problems with the kernel/driver on a dc7900 are specific to that hardware and as there is no alternative driver ...

if you insist on that hardware you will have to use dsm 5.x or you can try dsm 6.0, polanskimans extra.lzma and also quicknicks loader have the aacraid driver

if you are looking for a more recent version you could wait and see what happens with dsm 6.2 when it releases in april, if we get a hack and if we get a new "type" (like 918+) with kernel kernel 4.4 ... so there are a lot of if's on this

12 minutes ago, roysbike said:

Hello RAID  Storage HP array P222 will support the driver in dsm6? In 5.5 it works fine. But in  dsm6 1.02b-15152 driver loads the driver of the lsmod | grep  hpsa , I see module, but the array is not visible.

we already tested that and also the alternative driver, that's the reason hpsa.ko marked red in the storage driver list in the 1st post in this thread

dsm 6.0 (quicknicks loader)  or older 5.x is your friend than

its alos possible to install esxi and and have virtual disks for a dsm 6.1 vm, that way you use the hardare driver of vmware and can use a raid10//5/6 for a vmfs datastore or single raid0 disks as rdm

Thanks IG-88,

For the test I Installed OMV on that box wthout changing anyting, just to check weather i can see all the disks, I can confirm that OMV with the 5805 work without any problem.

Unfortunately I don't like the interface  so I will stick with 6.1 for now and use the interna AHCI controller, will give it a shot when 6.2 becomes available.

Cheers,

Hemant

On 26/2/2018 at 9:47 PM, WhiteBoroda said:

Need driver qla2xxx.ko for DSM 6.1.x (kernel 3.10.102)

After compile and insert driver to extra.lzma I see:

[    5.976266] qla2xxx: Unknown symbol fc_attach_transport (err 0)
[    5.976284] qla2xxx: Unknown symbol fc_remote_port_add (err 0)
[    5.976299] qla2xxx: Unknown symbol fc_remove_host (err 0)
[    5.976335] qla2xxx: Unknown symbol fc_block_scsi_eh (err 0)
[    5.976347] qla2xxx: Unknown symbol fc_remote_port_delete (err 0)
[    5.976360] qla2xxx: Unknown symbol fc_host_post_event (err 0)
[    5.976369] qla2xxx: Unknown symbol fc_release_transport (err 0)
[    5.976384] qla2xxx: Unknown symbol fc_vport_create (err 0)
[    5.976397] qla2xxx: Unknown symbol fc_remote_port_rolechg (err 0)
[    5.976413] qla2xxx: Unknown symbol fc_vport_terminate (err 0)
[    5.976442] qla2xxx: Unknown symbol fc_get_event_number (err 0)
[    5.976466] qla2xxx: Unknown symbol scsi_is_fc_rport (err 0)

Compile and insert scsi_transport_fc.ko

After start 

[  111.594641] scsi_transport_fc: Unknown symbol scsi_nl_sock (err 0)
scsi_nl_sock I'm find in scsi_netlink.c, but not compile to module

Any idea?

Hi, if you want add FC support to Synology, you have to look into SCST it's' noy enough add QLA driver.

Hello,

I am currently trying to get xpenology working on a HP ex490 bare metal. Main difficulty is the headless setup, no eye on the booting process.

Tho it seems to be booting fine on the loader, but I can't seem to manage to catch the diskstation on the Syno assistant.

I am using the 3615xs loader 1.02b from Jun's Mega repo.

I have tried to plug the ex490 on my main network, I can see it request an IP in my DHCP server and I can ping it properly. It gives its hostame "diskstation".

I have tried to plug the ex490 on my laptop directly with a local DHCP server, same deal : request an IP, is pingable.seenonnetwork.thumb.PNG.487cab40047e00d92dfc16b91eef38e9.PNG

I have tested multiple speed on the port switch port, it works the same in 1000/100 full or half duplex (request an IP, can ping).

I have another official Syno on the network which is being discovered properly by the assistant.

I have tested my USB loader on a bridged VM, works fine, request and IP, is seen by the assistant, can install latest PAT and all...

I have tested with the custom extra.lmza, apparently it does not work properly as the ex490 never request an IP.

i have changed all VID/PID/Serial/MAC details.

Anyone ever managed to get one of those old ex490 rocking ?

I have thought about trying to setup a headless ubuntu or something, would it be of any use to grab some information usefull in the troubleshot ?

Thanks a lot for your inputs.

Edited by BonanzaCreek

I have followed the instruction from this tutorial to this thread and downloaded the one for 3615xs : "extra.lzma for ds3615 v4.7"

I have tried my USB with this lmza on the VM, works fine but on the ex490 it never request an IP so I suppose something goes sideway during the boot process.

I tried the IP in the browser with and without port info 5000/5001/9999 without success.

(e.g. http://192.168.1.58, http://192.168.1.58:5000, https://192.168.1.58:5001, https://192.168.1.58:9999, http://192.168.1.58:9999)

Also Telnet and SSH direct connection are terminated from the ex490 side.

Thanks for the tip on the esata, currently I do not use it.

try a live linux from usb to proof that the chip is working with "normal" linux

in there see what this gives to you (drivers used)

lspci -k | grep 'Kernel driver'

at least its consistent that jun's and my extra.lzma do not work ;-)

try older bootloader for 6.0/5.2 to see if it does works with these (looks like accessing the web interface before actually installing the *.pat seem to be enough)

For the test I am using a 16.04 32bit Ubuntu fully installed on a USB key, I suppose I have the latest updates too.

The ex490 booted without issues, requested an IP and the SSH is prorperly reachable on port 22 with the account configured.

Here is the output:

~$ lspci -k | grep 'Kernel driver'
        Kernel driver in use: agpgart-intel
        Kernel driver in use: i915
        Kernel driver in use: uhci_hcd
        Kernel driver in use: ehci-pci
        Kernel driver in use: pcieport
        Kernel driver in use: ehci-pci
        Kernel driver in use: lpc_ich
        Kernel driver in use: ahci
        Kernel driver in use: sata_sil24
        Kernel driver in use: r8169

I'll try with an older loader now.

Sorry looks like I can't edit my previous post.

Ran another test with "DS3615xs 6.02 Jun's Mod V1.0".

Result :

• On empty VM, loader boots and retrieves an IP, is reachable through web browser and Syno Assistant. I should mention that the assistant seems to only discover the ex when the VM NATed on my system. It works with NAT and bridge with the loader 1.02b.
  • On ex490, loader boots and retrieves an IP, but is not reachable through web browser or Assistant. (From the previous issue with NAT/Bridge on VM, I tested with the ex490 on my LAN and directly connected with a local DHCP). I can see the ex490 answering the TCP SYN when I try from the web browser in Wireshark.

For a test with 5.x loader, I am not sure which one to get. Would you have a specific loader to recommend ?

Edited by BonanzaCreek

В 27.11.2017 в 02:39, IG-88 сказал:

Silicon Image
[sata_sil:SiI311x, SiI3512 / SB300, SB300C, SB4x0] -> does not load: Unknown symbol syno_libata_index_get (err 0)

Tekram TR-824 SATARaid Controller (Silicon Image Sil3114)
Dear IG-88, installed extra.lzma for ds3615 v4.7, unfortunately Tekram TR-824 SATARaid Controller did not detect the hard drive.
In the DSM version 5.2-5644 DS3615xs, there were no such problems
In future versions, will this problem be solved?
Sorry for my English.
Thank you!

as long as no one fixes the synology modded kernel source (can be downloaded) it will stay that way (at least for 6.1 and kernel 3.10.102)

i'n not a coder, i can deal with diff files if someone creates a fix and is willing to help

if someone gives us a newer model based on kernel 4.4 it could be different, maybe synology did not made that much changes there

also i would not count to much on dsm 6.2 as it seems to come with signed drivers, even when the old way of loading dsm without the original hardware still work, witout additional drivers it would be only useful to people having hardware using drivers that synology is using too - but thats speculation, maybe there will be also a way to load additional drivers

in your case maybe dsm 6.0 and jun's loader 1.01 might be a solution the extra.lzma for this version contains the sata_sil.ko

• Thanks 1

23 часа назад, IG-88 сказал:

as long as no one fixes the synology modded kernel source (can be downloaded) it will stay that way (at least for 6.1 and kernel 3.10.102)

i'n not a coder, i can deal with diff files if someone creates a fix and is willing to help

if someone gives us a newer model based on kernel 4.4 it could be different, maybe synology did not made that much changes there

also i would not count to much on dsm 6.2 as it seems to come with signed drivers, even when the old way of loading dsm without the original hardware still work, witout additional drivers it would be only useful to people having hardware using drivers that synology is using too - but thats speculation, maybe there will be also a way to load additional drivers

in your case maybe dsm 6.0 and jun's loader 1.01 might be a solution the extra.lzma for this version contains the sata_sil.ko

Thanks a lot, but unfortunately did not help

Hello,

I am still trying out my luck with the ex490.

So far I was able to install the original HP Mediaserver OS so physical issues with the disk or the hardware is out of the equation.

Then I was able to boot from USB on a Ubuntu 16.04, worked perfectly.

And right now I just booted from a Freenas USB key and installed a fully fonctionnal Freenas 11 on the disk.

Any idea why the only system that refuses to start is the Xpenology ?

I am willing to test with Nanoboot 5.0.4.1 and 3615xs_5022 pat. Could someone with legacy experience confirm that this setup should be expected to work ?

Thanks,

@zOnDeR

@BonanzaCreek

if its not about dsm 6.1. driver extension anymore then please open a new thread in DSM Installation

@BonanzaCreek

if you still want to try with dsm 6.1 you can insert a different nic and istall with this one and after installation you can check the log what it has about the internal nic an we can see what we can do about it

15 часов назад, IG-88 сказал:

did you downloaded and inserted the extra.lzma from the 6.0 thread (polabskiman's extra.lzma) to jun's 1.0.1 loader?

"did not help" is not much, so its hard to give advice

I did everything according to the instructions on which you gave the link

-(DSM 6.0.2, v1.01 loader, Customized extra.lzma ramdisk.)