XPEnology Community

Driver extension jun 1.02b/DSM6.1.x for 3615xs / 3617xs / 916+

IG-88

1 hour ago, andymiller6891 said:

Evening.

Im wondering if someone could possibly add the attached file to the extra.lzma for me.

Thanks.

mv94xx.ko

for what reason, the marvel 88SE94XX is already supported by mvsas.ko

where does the driver come from?

its not like with windows drivers, for linux depend on the kernel version so usualy they have to be specifically compiled

if you just want to test it you can copy the driver to your system and load it with insmod (if another driver is already loaded like mvsas.ko you can unload it with rmmod before loading the other driver

if you want to build your own special extra.lzma you can use my howto below

the part you need is just the "injection", that can be done on any linux as long as the packackes for compressing and uncompressing are installed

you unpack the extra.lzma copy your driver into the extracted structure, modify the file that contains the names of the drivers to be loaded and repack it

Edited by IG-88

I am having an issue with the current driver in which every time I shut the system down and reboot it I end up back at the Synology assistant page and have to reinstall. All my data is intact but all apps and settings are gone. I’m positive it’s the driver as I have plugged the hard drives into the main board SATA ports and all is fine.

the file I attached is the latest Linux/ubuntu driver listed for my card on the supermicro site.

loading the driver in on temporary basis isnt going to solve the issue cause xpenology picks the card and drives up already, its just the shutdown/reboot im having an issue with.

i really don’t want to have to invest in another HBA unless I have to.

Edited by andymiller6891

44 minutes ago, andymiller6891 said:

I am having an issue with the current driver in which every time I shut the system down and reboot it I end up back at the Synology assistant page and have to reinstall. All my data is intact but all apps and settings are gone. I’m positive it’s the driver as I have plugged the hard drives into the main board SATA ports and all is fine.

the file I attached is the latest Linux/ubuntu driver listed for my card on the supermicro site.

loading the driver in on temporary basis isnt going to solve the issue cause xpenology picks the card and drives up already, its just the shutdown/reboot im having an issue with.

i really don’t want to have to invest in another HBA unless I have to.

the ko file you attached seems to be for ubuntu, as already said it has to be compiled with the source of the system in use (dsm 6.1.x source from synology under gpl), supermicro or better marvel provided a driver but that was 2014, looks like any further development was put into the kernel driver as marvell does not support linux (driver /source), the kernel used in dsm 6.1 is from 2016

i might compile the driver (if it does compile) and build you a test version but as there are people using mvsas with 94xx and have no problems your problem seems to be special and might be related to controller bios (updated?) or systemboard/bios - so this special mv94xx driver will never make it to the normal extra.lzma

i'd suggest trying a newer kernel like installing a recent freenas or open media vault and try it the controller works reliable there if so it might be a problem solved in later kernel version, not so likely that it that a backport patch is possible but cant be ruled out and if dsm 6.2 (newer kernel) comes out and gets usable for xpenology ...

I suspected this may be the issue also so i updated the board and card bios to the latest listed version and updated the ipmi firmware.

the board has the default bios config and i am booting from an 8gb usb plugged straight into the usb port on the board.

the only other thing i havent tried is using a different usb but being as the disks work fine from the onboard sata ports im fairly sure the fault lies with the card drivers.

if the loader 1.02 + extra.lzma show the system in your network it means the network driver works as intended

it it does install dsm from the pat file successfull and reboots it means there was a disk with enough space to install dsm, so storage driver seems to work too

if it seems not to work after dsm install and reboot its not a driver problem we would discuss her in this thread as network and storage driver seem to work on the basic level

please open a new thread in DSM Installation / Branded Hardware (Servers, Desktops, Notebooks, NAS etc) / DSM 6.x

https://xpenology.com/forum/forum/40-dsm-6x/

Dear IG 88

in November , 2017

you replied to lowca:

chipset

NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430

any suggestions ?

Your reply:  "nForce 430 -> nfe.ko -> not seen in the extra.lzma i have here or in quicknicks loader

Question

I have Abit NF-M2 nView  , with added Intel ethernet on PCI. Since I added Intel ethernet card I can find my DS3617xs

I am trying to boot  :DS3617xs 6.1 Jun's Mod V1.02b with  extra3617_v4.5"

I see my computer in find.synology, but is sais no hard dirves are connected, despite one ATA and one SATA connected

I suppose ith because of missing nfe.ko??

Where do idiot like me take nfe.ko from?. How do I add nfe.ko to extra.lzma? it its not nfe.ko missing, what is my SATA controller, is there .ko for it ?

I checked with 7zip, there is no nfe.ko in v4.5\

Best Regards

Erio

Edited by erio

55 minutes ago, erio said:

Dear IG 88

in November , 2017

you replied to lowca:

chipset

NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430

any suggestions ?

Your reply:  "nForce 430 -> nfe.ko -> not seen in the extra.lzma i have here or in quicknicks loader

Question

I have Abit NF-M2 nView  , with added Intel ethernet on PCI. Since I added Intel ethernet card I can find my DS3617xs

I am trying to boot  :DS3617xs 6.1 Jun's Mod V1.02b with  extra3617_v4.5"

I see my computer in find.synology, but is sais no hard dirves are connected, despite one ATA and one SATA connected

I suppose ith because of missing nfe.ko??

Where do idiot like me take nfe.ko from?. How do I add nfe.ko to extra.lzma? it its not nfe.ko missing, what is my SATA controller, is there .ko for it ?

I checked with 7zip, there is no nfe.ko in v4.5\

Best Regards

Erio

isn't nfe.ko a old network driver for kernel 2.4-2.6 only?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_6_series#GeForce_6150SE

-> MCP61

https://cateee.net/lkddb/web-lkddb/ETHERNET.html (kernel 3.2 and higher)

-> forcedeth.ko, thats the driver for all nforce chipsetnetwork versions and that's in the extra.lzma

if you boot with the extra.lzma it should show up in network (without the intel nic), but storage will not work as all sata_*.ko drivers are still broken (see storage list in 1st post)

dsm 6.0/5.2 or different storage controller (ahci compatible) might be solutions

if you check with lspci (booted from a live linux) it should be one of those

vendor: 10de ("NVIDIA Corporation"), device: 03e5 ("MCP61 Ethernet")

vendor: 10de ("NVIDIA Corporation"), device: 03e6 ("MCP61 Ethernet")

vendor: 10de ("NVIDIA Corporation"), device: 03ee ("MCP61 Ethernet")

vendor: 10de ("NVIDIA Corporation"), device: 03ef ("MCP61 Ethernet")

Hi @all. I'm not really sure, if i wrote into the right thread. I tried to integrate hardware compatibility to ASM1062 Serial ATA Controller. My first step was to look which kernel module provide support on other linux distributions. On OpenMediaVault (3.X Kernel) the AHCI / SATA Modul was loaded for this controller. So i tried to enable this module at kernel config for xpeonology following this tutorial (https://xpenology.club/compile-drivers-xpenology-with-windows-10-and-build-in-bash/). I got serveral .ko Files as i enabled some more devices.  After replacing extra.lzma nothing changed in DSM. I tried to insmod the module, but this tool gives no reply at all.  http://elixir.free-electrons.com/linux/v4.4/source/drivers/ata/ahci.c

shows that the ahci module should support the ASM1062 (i know it is for kernel ver.4.4)

So. Can you give me some tipps how to going on ?

Edited by Florian Hahner

hallo,

thats the controller in quetion

vendor: 1b21 ("ASMedia Technology Inc."), device: 0612 ("ASM1062 Serial ATA Controller")

thats from the source of kernel 3.10.102 (base für dsm 6.1)

{ PCI_VDEVICE(ASMEDIA, 0x0601), board_ahci },    
    { PCI_VDEVICE(ASMEDIA, 0x0602), board_ahci },    
    { PCI_VDEVICE(ASMEDIA, 0x0611), board_ahci },    
    { PCI_VDEVICE(ASMEDIA, 0x0612), board_ahci },    

so the ASM1062 should be detected by the ahci driver that is already part of dsm, even without my extra.lzma

i do progress:

dmesg shows me only the drive, not the controller

[    3.453108] ata2: SATA link up 6.0 Gbps (SStatus 133 SControl 300)
[    3.453239] ata2.00: ATA-9: WDC WD40EZRX-00SPEB0, 80.00A80, max UDMA/133
[    3.453244] ata2.00: 7814037168 sectors, multi 0: LBA48 NCQ (depth 31/32), AA
[    3.453408] ata2.00: configured for UDMA/133
[    3.453569] scsi 1:0:0:0: Direct-Access     WDC      WD40EZRX-00SPEB0         80.0 PQ: 0 ANSI: 5
[    3.454151] sd 1:0:0:0: [sdn] 7814037168 512-byte logical blocks: (4.00 TB/3.63 TiB)
[    3.454154] sd 1:0:0:0: [sdn] 4096-byte physical blocks
[    3.454189] sd 1:0:0:0: [sdn] Write Protect is off
[    3.454191] sd 1:0:0:0: [sdn] Mode Sense: 00 3a 00 00
[    3.454206] sd 1:0:0:0: [sdn] Write cache: enabled, read cache: enabled, doesn't support DPO or FUA

A few lines later i get a

11.263216]  sdn: unknown partition table
11.263466] sd 1:0:0:0: [sdn] Attached SCSI disk

So, i run parted and give the disk a new label

(parted) mklabel gpt
mklabel gpt
no gpt table, skip zero final sector

(parted) print part
print part
Model: WDC WD40EZRX-00SPEB0 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sdn: 4001GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: gpt
Disk Flags:

Well, now DSM show me a eSATA Device. Next goal is to move eSATA to internal SATA. Any idea ?

Update:

I'll try this

https://hedichaibi.com/fix-xpenology-problems-viewing-internal-hard-drives-as-esata-hard-drives/

will report result

Edited by Florian Hahner

• 2 weeks later...

hi i am new to this please bear with me i was wondering if you can help me with 2 drivers 1 for a mini pci wifi card and another for a pci raid card the models are listed below

mini pci wifi card :- Wistron DNMA-92

combo pci raid card :- VIA VT6421A

i am running DSM 6.1.5-15254 hope you can help with this thanks in advance and hope to hear from you soon

31 minutes ago, djwayne1985 said:

hi i am new to this please bear with me i was wondering if you can help me with 2 drivers 1 for a mini pci wifi card and another for a pci raid card the models are listed below

mini pci wifi card :- Wistron DNMA-92

i'm not doing  wifi driver, commented about that here not to long ago

31 minutes ago, djwayne1985 said:

combo pci raid card :- VIA VT6421A

when searching for this chip together with linux kernel driver

https://cateee.net/lkddb/web-lkddb/SATA_VIA.html

-> sata_via -> broken (see first post, storage driver)

also already documented in the first thread

[sata_via: VX900, VT642x, VT8237 family, VT8251, VT8261] -> does not load: Unknown symbol syno_libata_index_get (err 0)

VT6421A = VT642x

8 hours ago, djwayne1985 said:

@IG-88 can you tell me is there a way for a newbie like me to add it myself then plz ?? and can you help me with where i can poss find the .ko file of the wifi card plz

You cannot 'find' the .ko you need. You would need to compile them.

The Tutorial section of this forum has a tutorial on how to compile. See here:

This said If you are a noob on all this it might be a bit difficult specially because internal WIFI cards is not something that Synology incorporates in its boxes and so you might be confronted with debugging and such which might drive you crazy. I recommend you use an external wifi usb key and specially one that is compatible. See Synology website for the list.

Another thing, please note that this topic is not for requesting drivers. The OP is very clear on that.

For so long I am trying to run DSM 6.x on my old EEE Asus 1015P machine. I am able to run 5.0 version, but unluckily I am not able to upgrade to newer version.

I was trying to implement dozens of img files and extra.lmza files but with no luck.

Please, is there a possibility to make a support for Atheros AR8132 ethernet card?

if i cant find it in my list (1st post) and i'm not sure (in this case i'm pretty sure its already in) i usualy google search for what was asked for plus "linux kernel driver"

best is to find something from cateee.net like this:

https://cateee.net/lkddb/web-lkddb/ATL1C.html

and i was right atl1c.ko is alredy part of my extra.lzma  -> try it with your notebook, the storage should work too as it seems to be ahci (Intel NM10 AHCI)

i extended my list in the 1st post and added some ARxxxx names to the atheros section

• Thanks 1

Yep, the ahci is Intel for sure. I made a test... Juns Loader 1.02b for 3615xs, changed grub.config to suite my USB info and MAC address, then rewrite extra.lmza with yours and write it to the USB. Boot from that USB -> it goes to "Booting the kernel" -> from my other PC I was trying to find.syngology.com or Synology Assistant with LUCK!!! Just when I wrote you, that the EEE was not responding, it suddenly appears in my Syn. Assistant. I will let you know if the installation will succeed. For now a milliion thanks to You!

Edited by leeon82

5 minutes ago, leeon82 said:

I have to tell you - IT WORK LIKE CHARM! Once again, I am very grateful for your help and thank you very much because this problem has plagued me for a long time.

that driver is part of jun's 1.02 loader so its available for a while

Edited by IG-88