XPEnology Community

Obtain real MAC address from adapter?

filippo333

Question

Hello,

Does anyone know how to harvest the real MAC address of a device whilst booted into Xpenology? Basically I'm using an Intel NIC but now plan to use my integrated Realtek one for something. Originally I only changed the MAC address in grub.cfg for the Intel NIC (there is no second entry for the integrated one), running ifconfig from the server shows the second adapter but with the exact same MAC address as my Intel NIC.

Is there an easy way to see what the unspoofed address is?

6 answers to this question

1 minute ago, Dfds said:

Boot from a live Linux USB & type "ifconfig -a", look for eth0 & eth1, the number next to hwaddr will be the MAC address. As you already know the MAC for the intel card you should be able to tell which one is which.

Yeah I think at this point this is my only option; it's odd how Xpenology duplicates the same MAC addresses for all cards if there's only a single entry.

3 hours ago, filippo333 said:

Yeah I think at this point this is my only option; it's odd how Xpenology duplicates the same MAC addresses for all cards if there's only a single entry.

I think thats what happens if you do not set mac1 mac2 etc in grub, as a default. The other option you can try to find the addresses is to remove any mac number from grub and this usually brings up the real addresses, bit not always as random addresses can be set somehow, you will know if you reboot a few times :)

18 minutes ago, sbv3000 said:

I think thats what happens if you do not set mac1 mac2 etc in grub, as a default. The other option you can try to find the addresses is to remove any mac number from grub and this usually brings up the real addresses, bit not always as random addresses can be set somehow, you will know if you reboot a few times :)

I think the only way of doing it is finding out what the real values are and setting them statically in grub.cfg. As you said, every time I reboot the MAC addresses change randomly :S

12 hours ago, filippo333 said:

I think the only way of doing it is finding out what the real values are and setting them statically in grub.cfg. As you said, every time I reboot the MAC addresses change randomly :S

If you find the real mac addresses using ubuntu or another option (you chould check the bios, sometimes they are in there) once you have them then you edit the grub.cfg file with set mac1=address 1 and set mac2=address 2, then they will stay fixed