XPEnology Community

Xpenology and SAS Controller - HBA

I have the Fujitsu 8port D2607 card but after IT flash it can only activate one LUN with 4 ports thats fine. Can be done better.

After that I have 10 internal SATA ports disk added to all ports.

10 USB ports. 1used for boot stick :smile:

I have now laborate but can only see the 12 disks not the last 2 internal SATA disks.

I have tried exchanged the disks and the problem follows that the last 2 internal SATA ports is not showing in the DM.

I have set maxdisk to 16 no change and also tried many different hexcode parameters. tried all hehe and also added so I have 23 internal ports and 10 usb ports and also tried esataports=0x0010 and 0x0100 then even more disk disappear :eek:)

So now I miss 2 disks that I would like to get going like you showed before...but got problem rebooting :smile: for heat problems.

Anyway I need help to get them up and online for raiding in my only volume SHR-2.

How can we fix this?

ok for 23 internal ports

try 0xFFFFFF 24 ports

and usb as

0xFFF000000 12 ports

E-sata cannot overlap usb or internal hance why your 0x0010 and 0x0100 didn't work

to enable E-sata you would have to push USBports further left (add an extra 0 to the right) eg 0xFFF0000000

and e-sata would become 0x01000000 etc

Thanks very much for the tip Stanza, but sorry to say no difference :sad:

I have now 12 disk up and running including the 160GB systemdisk and usb stick to boot on.

I guess I have to keep it stable and work with this. Do not want to loose any data now.

I will setup a new server starting today with lots of mixed harddisks...guess that will be fun as well.

If the os system could be based on the larger version of Synology station more than 12 disks would probablly

be working. Hope that will be made soon. 1 machine with 40 disks is less space consuming.

I love this system and hope you all keep updating the forum with lots of tips.

I have beneath this text also one more issue.

This picture below now shows that I have nearly 20TB capacity and 20TB Allocated. BUT under "Used space Info"

I see only 12.6TB as Capacity??? I can only add 438GB of data then its filled up even I last 2 days expanded with

1x4tb and 2x2tb disks to fix the correct SHR-2 Raid build for best utililization.

Thanks very much for the tip Stanza, but sorry to say no difference :sad:

I have now 12 disk up and running including the 160GB systemdisk and usb stick to boot on.

I guess I have to keep it stable and work with this. Do not want to loose any data now.

I will setup a new server starting today with lots of mixed harddisks...guess that will be fun as well.

If the os system could be based on the larger version of Synology station more than 12 disks would probablly

be working. Hope that will be made soon. 1 machine with 40 disks is less space consuming.

I love this system and hope you all keep updating the forum with lots of tips.

I have beneath this text also one more issue.

This picture below now shows that I have nearly 20TB capacity and 20TB Allocated. BUT under "Used space Info"

I see only 12.6TB as Capacity??? I can only add 438GB of data then its filled up even I last 2 days expanded with

1x4tb and 2x2tb disks to fix the correct SHR-2 Raid build for best utililization.

I have the last harddisk as SATA disks but they show up as SSD disks and -1 degrees. Then can be attached to the volume but there is not possible to get that data environment to copy data to.. so the space is not available at all.... What can be wrong. standard 12 harddisks hould not be any problem...?

nad I have no clue how I should set the hexcodes in the synoinfo.conf files......I tried it all.

I have the last harddisk as SATA disks but they show up as SSD disks and -1 degrees. Then can be attached to the volume but there is not possible to get that data environment to copy data to.. so the space is not available at all.... What can be wrong. standard 12 harddisks hould not be any problem...?

nad I have no clue how I should set the hexcodes in the synoinfo.conf files......I tried it all.

This is a little mess.

I have installed 4x4TB, 7x2TB one 160GB sata system disk and one usb boot stick.

I have only 12.60TB as free space to fill with data.

Mostly due to that the last 2 disks that is by system called SSD and -1 degrees and can not calculate correct free TB available.

so now I am stuck and cant fill with more data even I should have at least 19.97TB available now.

Why is the last 2 disks found as SSD?

Is it because of wrong hexcode strings typed in the sysinfo.conf file?

My feeling is so....but this we need get around and I tried the most but now I feel that there is really bad if I do not even gt 12 disks running ok.

You have seen my comments before and know my systeminfo.. If somebody know how to enter the hexcode so I get up all disks as supported HDD that would be great.

If we talk about maxdisk = 12, is there including the USB stick and the system boot sata disk?

I would like to have 14 disk totally with boot sata disk installed. but only get up this pictures as best result after editing the hexcodes.

See below.

12.60TBfree.jpg.d5d6de40991e4d8bd8e308ea4a0656ee.jpg

12.60TBfreeHDD.jpg.9f5be846df9adf1deef8bb28ab671a8b.jpg

This is a little mess.

I have installed 4x4TB, 7x2TB one 160GB sata system disk and one usb boot stick.

I have only 12.60TB as free space to fill with data.

Mostly due to that the last 2 disks that is by system called SSD and -1 degrees and can not calculate correct free TB available.

so now I am stuck and cant fill with more data even I should have at least 19.97TB available now.

Why is the last 2 disks found as SSD?

Is it because of wrong hexcode strings typed in the sysinfo.conf file?

My feeling is so....but this we need get around and I tried the most but now I feel that there is really bad if I do not even gt 12 disks running ok.

You have seen my comments before and know my systeminfo.. If somebody know how to enter the hexcode so I get up all disks as supported HDD that would be great.

If we talk about maxdisk = 12, is there including the USB stick and the system boot sata disk?

I would like to have 14 disk totally with boot sata disk installed. but only get up this pictures as best result after editing the hexcodes.

See below.

I was able to go beyond 12 disk limit using this guide, but tested it only on VMware Workstation/Player using virtual LSI controller (SCSI) and RS3614xs+ model. Using

the right hex code will also allow you to automatically grow by 3 ports every time you reach the maximum :smile:.

So what could be the correct code for me?

I have tried many different hexcode calculations... :twisted:

I was able to go beyond 12 disk limit using this guide, but tested it only on VMware Workstation/Player using virtual LSI controller (SCSI) and RS3614xs+ model. Using

the right hex code will also allow you to automatically grow by 3 ports every time you reach the maximum :smile:.

So what could be the correct code for me?

I have tried many different hexcode calculations... :twisted:

The thing is now after a week testing again same problem.

I have worked with the hexcoding for a long time now.

I know how it mainly works.

I can only get 12 disk into HDD Manageeent but my biggest issue is that the last 2 is ALWAYS SSD -1 degree.

I cant get that away. It has appeared after I did go over 10 disks mounted in the system.

Even if I take away one of these disks the last get named as SSD and it cant be allocated as data environment.

The hexcoding is correc that I absollutely know now. So now I need to get rid of the SSD and get them as normal SATA disk as they are connected to systemboard SATA ports.

Only fealing is that there is named in bios as one chip but physical 2 channels on the board guess..new drivers?

I had a similar problem that I could not solve

If I used SAS drives in an Intel SAS expander cage.... the drives were recognised as HDD's

If I used SATA drives in the same cage....all drives were recognised as SSD with -1C temps

Couldn't work around the problem sadly.

Maybe try different drives on those two ports? see what you get...

Maybe try (if you can) change them (the HDD's via jumpers) from SATA 3 to SATA 2 or SATA 1.5 mode? see if that helps?

Xpenology is great, but not Perfect for every situation

Hmm... yes I assume this is the tricky thing here....I've tried these stuff but same proble. But no jumpers to change.

All new drives after repair.....again goes up as SSD disks all the time....I wonder if it has something to do with that these last 4 ports is JMicron® JMB322. Do you have any drive for these chip in the code that support them...could be a hint to solve it.

But then I need hlp to load these drivers if you can find them.....

I have added 3 disks to the 4 ports and 2 is always SSD but 1 is ok as HDD.

Just tried out 4827 v7 Beta

Interesting it that it doesn't need any HDD's attached to a SATA controller now

Tried with

Intel Server Board S3200SH

4 gig ram

Intel E6550 Core 2 Duo CPU

8 x 450gb 15K SAS Drives off of a H310

4 x 1tb SATA Drives off of a H200

Edited /etc.defaults/synoinfo.conf to be

maxdisks = 20

esataportcfg="0x00"

usbportcfg="0xff00000"

internalportcfg="0xfffff"

as only 4 drives recognised initially

Installed, created 2 volumes

Raid 10 of the 8 SAS drives Volume1

SHR of the 4 x 1TB SATA Drives Volume 2

Reboots fine

=====

DAMN those SAS drives and RAID 10 are FAST :shock:

Couple of DD tests too give it a thrashing writing, then reading a 20g file to each volume

time dd if=/dev/zero of=/volume1/test1/ddtest bs=1024000 count=20000

20000+0 record in

20000+0 records out

real 0m 34.83s

user 0m 0.01s

sys 0m 20.00s

time dd if=/dev/zero of=/volume2/test2/ddtest bs=1024000 count=20000

20000+0 record in

20000+0 records out

real 1m 37.44s

user 0m 0.03s

sys 0m 20.80s

time dd if=/volume1/test1/ddtest of=/dev/null bs=1024000

20000+0 record in

20000+0 records out

real 0m 37.48s

user 0m 0.00s

sys 0m 13.09s

time dd if=/volume2/test2/ddtest of=/dev/null bs=1024000

20000+0 record in

20000+0 records out

real 1m 36.05s

user 0m 0.00s

sys 0m 13.99s

Edited by Guest

DAMN those SAS drives and RAID 10 are FAST :shock:

Couple of DD tests too give it a thrashing writing, then reading a 20g file to each volume

time dd if=/dev/zero of=/volume1/test1/ddtest bs=1024000 count=20000

20000+0 record in

20000+0 records out

real 0m 34.83s

user 0m 0.01s

sys 0m 20.00s

time dd if=/dev/zero of=/volume2/test2/ddtest bs=1024000 count=20000

20000+0 record in

20000+0 records out

real 1m 37.44s

user 0m 0.03s

sys 0m 20.80s

time dd if=/volume1/test1/ddtest of=/dev/null bs=1024000

20000+0 record in

20000+0 records out

real 0m 37.48s

user 0m 0.00s

sys 0m 13.09s

time dd if=/volume2/test2/ddtest of=/dev/null bs=1024000

20000+0 record in

20000+0 records out

real 1m 36.05s

user 0m 0.00s

sys 0m 13.99s

I am sure it is fast not because of SAS drives and not because of RAID10. I believe it because of SAS controller itself and a number of stripes...

Here is a similar example on RAID5 (SHR) on 8 sata drives (old and slow mix of WD EARX/EARS 2GB):

XPEnologyU> time dd if=/dev/zero of=/volume1/ddtest bs=1024000 count=20000
20000+0 records in
20000+0 records out
real    0m 30.86s
user    0m 0.02s
sys     0m 10.99s
XPEnologyU> time dd if=/volume1/ddtest of=/dev/null bs=1024000
20000+0 records in
20000+0 records out
real    0m 28.39s
user    0m 0.01s
sys     0m 5.66s

All drives are attached to lsi 9211.

And even SAS is not as much of significance as a number of stripes... One more example without sas at all but with 8 sata drives (Seagate NAS-series 4GB):

XPEnology> time dd if=/dev/zero of=/volume1/ddtest bs=1024000 count=20000
20000+0 records in
20000+0 records out
real    0m 43.06s
user    0m 0.01s
sys     0m 9.54s
XPEnology> time dd if=/volume1/ddtest of=/dev/null bs=1024000
20000+0 records in
20000+0 records out
real    0m 32.96s
user    0m 0.00s
sys     0m 6.01s

Here 6 drives are attached to onboard sata of Z87 and 2 are attached to asmedia sata controller (also onboard). It is on Asus Z87-Deluxe mobo. Writing speed is not very high but as for reading - not much worse than on sas.

Hi Stanza, what happens if you decide to upgrade to a newer version... i presume all the changes you made to synoinfo will revert back and cause the system to not see all the drives again... will this break any SHR raid ~?

i have my system setup but afraid that it will break when it comes to upgrading to a latest version of xpenology. is there a way to upgrade while keeping the changes in place?

Cheers

Hi Stanza, what happens if you decide to upgrade to a newer version... i presume all the changes you made to synoinfo will revert back and cause the system to not see all the drives again... will this break any SHR raid ~?

i have my system setup but afraid that it will break when it comes to upgrading to a latest version of xpenology. is there a way to upgrade while keeping the changes in place?

Cheers

I also would be interested in this subject.

Is there a way to re-apply the synoinfo change before the volumes are mounted as part of the upgrade? Or perhaps remove the drives and replace with a temporary volume whilst running the upgrade?

I am sure it is fast not because of SAS drives and not because of RAID10. I believe it because of SAS controller itself and a number of stripes...

ahhh yeah, I was comparing them with the 4 drives on second controller which is only in a x4 slot not a x8 slot. :roll:

Anyways....

reinstalling 4810 beta5 now

will set it up and then make the 4827 beta7 key and see how it handles the upgrade

Hmmm ok some interesting things

Same hardware as above (minus 1 x SAS drive which decided to die :roll: )

so

No drives attached to Motherboard SATA ports

x4 slot has H310 with 7 x 450Gb SAS attached

x8 slot has H200 with 4 x 1Tb SATA

Changed synoinfo.conf as before to get all drives recognised

drives are ordered as

H310 drives are recognised 1st and are

Drive 5

Drive 6

thru to

Drive 11

H200 drives are recognised 2nd and are

Drive 12

thru to

Drive 15

Installed 3810 Beta5

Setup two volumes

Volume 1 = 7 x Drives on H310 + 1 x Drive on the H200

Volume 2 = 3 x Drives on the H200

waited for them to sync and complete

installed a couple of programs (audio / media / video station)

added users

set time zone

made some shares SMB and NFS.... disabled AFP

copied a movie to one share

enabled usage history in resource monitor

changed synoinfo.conf file some more to set WOL and MAX DISKS to 22

changed grub.conf to reflect correct MAC address and set a serial number

generally fiddled around as you would a normal setup

rebooted a couple of times

then with system running

pulled USB stick and DD'd the later 3827 beta7 to it

popped it back in and changed grub.conf to match old USB stick (so it would come back up with same serial and MAC Address / IP Address)

rebooted

It asked to do the Migration as a normal (non HBA version) would

fed it the new PAT file

rebooted

Both Volumes are degraded

so without logging into the web interface, I re-edited the synoinfo.conf file.....which had changed back to default.....and rebooted

could see MDRAID trying hard to resync the drives at reboot...."as of course it now had found missing drives"

This time I logged into web interface to be greeted by the Volume has been degraded messages

3827-upgrade-error.png

3827-upgrade-error1.png

3827-upgrade-error2.png

Interestingly, Volume 2 was fine....but suggested a scan be done

Volume 1 was complaining of being degraded.....

Volume 1 was

Drives 5,6,7,8,9,10,11 and 12

(Drives 5 to 11 being the 7 drives on the H310 controller)

(12 being / was the 1st drive on the H200 controller)

Tho now this drive is Drive 15......hence the degraded state

Manually manage the volume and add the drive back into the volume and it's all back up and good.

even more interesting...... all useres are still there.......all programs are still there....DATA is still there and shares are also....unlike NON HBA upgrades which you have to add all them back in and re create shares etc

So.....assumptions are with only one SAS controller and before doing anything on the web interface

edit the synoinfo.conf file back to how you had it working and reboot.........maybe the upgrade will work fine?

Guess I will have to test that now :roll:

Edited by Guest

@snoopy78 and stanza

I read that you have issues when installing/updating because of default settings in synoinfo.conf.

Can you help me to figure out the "good" values so I can build a special synoboot and pat file :wink:

stanza I read that you use this settings:

maxdisks = 20

esataportcfg="0x00"

usbportcfg="0xff00000"

internalportcfg="0xfffff"

snoopy78 you talk about sysctl.conf, what values did you add/edit ?

sysctl.conf settings I use are

kernel.panic=3

kernel.sem=250 32000 32 256

dev.raid.speed_limit_min = 50000

dev.raid.speed_limit_max = 200000

as for max disks and internalportcfg

maybe

maxdisks = 24

esataportcfg="0x00"

usbportcfg="0xff000000"

internalportcfg="0xffffff"

might cover most people ?

eg 2 x 8 port HBA plus 4 SATA ports on motherboard

Still need to get to the bottom of the drive ordering as well

why drive numbers jump around? and can we lock them down using either uuid or /dev/disk/by-id ??

OK

with 7 drives on H310 only

upgrade from 3810 beta5 to 3827 beta7 works fine (using migration)

all users / settings / files / programs are still there

I guess because

3810 beta5 defaults are within 3827 beta7 defaults

esataportcfg="0x1000" beta5

esataportcfg="0xff000" <<

usbportcfg="0xffe000"beta5

usbportconfig="0xf00000" <<

internalportcfg="0xfff" beta5

internalportcfg="0xfff" <<

So if you have under 12 drives / ports in TOTAL in use.... you might be good for the upgrade.

If you have OVER 12 Drives.... Backup and restore or take the risk and edit synoinfo.conf file ASAP after upgrading as currently it will wipe out your synoinfo.conf changes

Edited by Guest

Hi Stanza, excellent work. thats exactly what i thought may happen.

My setup has a H200 Raid card connected to a Suppermicro 12 Bay case..

i had to use your hack to get the last 2 drives detected as Disk 1 was being used by ESXi and Disk 2 is just missing. so my drives start from disk 3 onwards..

what would be great is if Trantor can accommodate the changes into his build that way the drives will always show up and not break the raid.

Thanks

I am not exactly sure... But during several experiments with upgrades of DSM version (and so with resulting bad *portcfg values) I issued two types of problems in different hardware configurations (including those with up to 15 hdd-s in one array).

The worse one - 1 hdd from array is lost. Array is degraded. After changing internalportcfg to correct value the lost hdd becomes visible, but the only way to restore array to fully functional state is a full rebuild.

If there are two or more hdd-s that are invisible, array is non-functional. But after changing internalportcfg to correct value and reboot everything becomes fine (without need of rebuild).

In both situations system and swap partitions are degraded after changing internalportcfg value. But it is really not much of a problem.

Anyway I can't guarantee that it is definitely so in all the situations... And also there can be a problem of full data lost while migrating between different types of boot images (or/and different DSM versions).