XPEnology Community

[SOLVED] Install on vmware ESXI

- Backup configuration and application data in 4.2 vm.

- Deploy 4.3's OVF template in an new virtual machine

- Test it

- When new virtual machine is ok, stop it then attach existing VMDK files to SCSI Controller 1 [LSI SAS Buslogic, no ParaVirtual!] in machine settings).

- The old, 4.2, must be turned off as well.

- Start new virtual machine and repair volume.

- Finally restore configuration backup you've made in 4.2 earlier + reinstall apps.

Paravirtual support will be added in a future release of xpe 4.3.

I don't think SCSI controller type has an effect over creating the disks. You may switch to LSA SAS BusLogic with existing disks.

Unless anyone tells the opposite ?

VMDK format is different between IDE and SCSI disks, but from one SCSI controller to another SCSI controller disks should move without issues.

Hi,

here is a full OVF template of 4.3 for ESXI 5.x.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1737

This version seems to require 2 VMDKs (attached to IDE controller) to work ... Those included.

^Tells me its shutting down cause disks is overheating, happens random about 5- 10 mins. suddenly disk temp jumps from 0 til 100 very quick then back to 0, using LSA SAS BusLogic , Esxi 5.5 and HP N54, Please give me a hint how to fix this if you can ? :sad:

Sorry, this issue does not occur on my configuration.

Btw, SMART is not handled with virtual disks, temp always stays at 0°C/32°F here.

Your disks are not overheating in fact, there's just a bug in fake monitoring values.

Have you tried removing SCSI controller then recreating it ?

Sorry, this issue does not occur on my configuration.

Btw, SMART is not handled with virtual disks, temp always stays at 0°C/32°F here.

Your disks are not overheating in fact, there's just a bug in fake monitoring values.

Have you tried removing SCSI controller then recreating it ?

Sorry for my danish language in here, but when it detects overheating its shutsdown, with the new ESXI version , i cant get NFS to work, tryed with Para and LSL SAS, both just timeout when creating NFS share

Hi all,

maybe a stupid question (hope not) but WHY install with ESXi instead of just directly on the server? Will everything work the same with ESXi?

Like remote access via internet. Plex. etc.

Works the same, my reason is i run a Ubuntu, Windows 7 and OSX at the same time, and they can reboot independently, instead of running in inside windows with Virtualbox, then i had to shutdown DSM for windows updates ect :roll:

Hi all,

just started with xpenology on esxi. But I only get transfer speeds of about 10MB/s.

Hardware: i5-4670T, Z87, 16GB ram. Gigabit wired network. Connected to a i7-930 with gigabit nw.

Running with virtual disks on four different harddrives.

I must be able to get more speed out of this than those 10????

Hi,

with Trantors latest ESXi build 1.1 and DSM update 3, SMB2 & large MTU activated, I get between 50-125 MB/s on a WD Red 4 TB with a 1,5 TB preallocated VMDK.

You get the best performance, if you use vmnet3 NIC and preallocated VMDKs.

XPEnology VM (2 vCPUs, 4GB vRAM) runs on VMware Worksation 9 on Win8.1 (CoreI5-4570).

mini_734007XPE.jpg

anyone ever tried the High Availability option? can't get it working, everytime i connect the heartbeat cable both systems are "looping".(2xN54L)

best regards,

Leon

believe changing the MAC addresses is the first step.

I tried with 2xN54L and both are on ESXi 5.1

I did change the MAC addresses, but I got this error message "operation failed. Please re-login and try again" after confirming the HA name and addressess.

Hi everyone,

do you know if there could be a way to be able from an esxi VM with xbmc (or equivalent) to use the hdmi output of an additional graphic card installed on a n54l ?

To say that differently :

I would like to install 2 esxi vm on a n54l

- 1st with xpenology (to store)

- 2nd with xbmc (or eq) to render 1080pvideo+audio through the hdmi output (specific, can be fully dedicated, graphic card asus 6450 or other)

It seems (as I understood as a newbie) that this kind of solution requires wmdirectpath i/o and is not compatible with n54l... I hope I'm wrong :sad:

I'll be very happy (thank you) if someone know a way to solve that

Thx you in advance

ldha

Idha,

I think you mean 2 VM on a ESXi of a N54L (since you cannot install 2 ESXi into 1 machine).

1 VM is Xpenology

another VM with an OS that runs XBMC

N54L does not support directpath i/o.

But there are other succss stories about using a low cost (low energy is the main reason) display card that can be used from VM (forget if that is windows) and output to TV via HDMI. You can check more.

Thank you

So I will have to use a 'normal', and not so flexible, install : 1 native OS (with xbmc installed) that hosts a VM for XPenology ...

Do you have some advice about Native OS (Linux, Win8.1, WHS2011 ?) and VM technology (Virtual Box, Hyper-V, Workstation, ?) to use in order to get 'honorable' disk performances ?

Thank you for all your answers

ldha

sorry I have not tried myself for other OS with XBMC, but I guess Linux would not be a bad choice because I have read a lot of successful stories of Linux and XBMC, but not with Windows .....

Hi!

i managed to install xpenology 4.3 with the esxi release a few days ago on my HP microserver.

i used XPEnology DS3612xs DSM 4.3 build 3810 (ESXi v1.1) from the forums and the PAT file from the original forums package.

it took some time and some reading but i was able to mount my raw mapped 300GB HDD with paravirtual device and everything worked find for my testing purpose.

yesterday i replaced the 300GB HDD with a 3TB one to start productive working in my home-envoirement but raw mapping doesnt work anymore, neither with the 300GB HDD, nor with the 3TB HDD.

I did a raw mapping through this guide http://blog.davidwarburton.net/2010/10/25/rdm-mapping-of-local-sata-storage-for-esxi/

placed the vmdk file on my Datastorage Device and mapped it virtual on pvscsi 2:0 like in the idiots xpenology guide in this thread

But xpenologic doesnt find any HDD by the system HDD which holds Volume1.

Both HDDs are on GPT and i tryed with EXT4 Partion, Fat32 and without any Partition.

Any suggestions how i can get i working again? I reinstalled even esxi and xpenology with a clean install.

### edit ###

RAW Device is working if i disable the virtual System HDD... It seems, that it can recognize just one HDD beside the boot vmdk, so there must be a configuration misstake, but where?! Only second Harddrive will be recognized by DSM, if i switch the drives, it uses either 20GB Virtual HDD, or my 3TB RDM HDD but not both together, also a second raw mapped HDD is not recognized.

Edited by Guest