XPEnology Community

[SOLVED] Install on vmware ESXI

if the VM (vmdk) is in harddrive, the issue was that the shutdown has some process to write back to the vmdk and upon restart the error comes back.

That is what I guess.

As have seen other threads saying solutions are just terminate the VM (not shutdown) or don't use VM but boot from the thumb drive which the DSM is install into and unplug the thumb driver after boot up or write protect it.

Hi everyone,

do you know if there could be a way to be able from an esxi VM with xbmc (or equivalent) to use the hdmi output of an additional graphic card installed on a n54l ?

To say that differently :

I would like to install 2 esxi vm on a n54l

- 1st with xpenology (to store)

- 2nd with xbmc (or eq) to render 1080pvideo+audio through the hdmi output (specific, can be fully dedicated, graphic card asus 6450 or other)

It seems (as I understood as a newbie) that this kind of solution requires wmdirectpath i/o and is not compatible with n54l... I hope I'm wrong :sad:

I'll be very happy (thank you) if someone know a way to solve that

Thx you in advance

ldha

- 2nd with xbmc (or eq) to render 1080pvideo+audio through the hdmi output (specific, can be fully dedicated, graphic card asus 6450 or other)

It seems (as I understood as a newbie) that this kind of solution requires wmdirectpath i/o and is not compatible with n54l... I hope I'm wrong :sad:

XBMC requires a physical video card to work properly and so you would need vmdirectpath i/o for this to work. The n54l does not support that. (The MB nor CPU) There are several folks that have done what you want to do successfully on other hardware, but then you would need to buy a new CPU and MB. Search the VMWare forums - there's a lengthy thread on ATI cards and passthrough.

Hi everyone,

do you know if there could be a way to be able from an esxi VM with xbmc (or equivalent) to use the hdmi output of an additional graphic card installed on a n54l ?

Thx you in advance

ldha

Idha,

I think you mean 2 VM on a ESXi of a N54L (since you cannot install 2 ESXi into 1 machine).

1 VM is Xpenology

another VM with an OS that runs XBMC

N54L does not support directpath i/o.

But there are other succss stories about using a low cost (low energy is the main reason) display card that can be used from VM (forget if that is windows) and output to TV via HDMI. You can check more.

Hi everyone,

Thx you in advance

ldha

Idha,

I think you mean 2 VM on a ESXi of a N54L (since you cannot install 2 ESXi into 1 machine).

1 VM is Xpenology

another VM with an OS that runs XBMC

N54L does not support directpath i/o.

But there are other succss stories about using a low cost (low energy is the main reason) display card that can be used from VM (forget if that is windows) and output to TV via HDMI. You can check more.

Thank you

So I will have to use a 'normal', and not so flexible, install : 1 native OS (with xbmc installed) that hosts a VM for XPenology ...

Do you have some advice about Native OS (Linux, Win8.1, WHS2011 ?) and VM technology (Virtual Box, Hyper-V, Workstation, ?) to use in order to get 'honorable' disk performances ?

Thank you for all your answers

ldha

Hi,

I created a RDM to access an external HDD, which is plugged into back e-sata port of HP N54L MicroServer.

After adding it to VM, xpenology could not see it as removable, only as fixed. Thus I can't access my NTFS partition onto this disk (DSM wants it to be initialized to use it, so .. no !).

RDM is set as a Mapped RAW LUN, on existing SCSI controller 0 (type: Paravirtual).

Fiddling with syninfo.conf masks, esataportconfig does not make any difference (even with crazy value 0xffffff) ... only internalportconfig makes it appear.

Would I need a specific driver for this ? Any kind of help would be appreciated :smile:

Thank you

So I will have to use a 'normal', and not so flexible, install : 1 native OS (with xbmc installed) that hosts a VM for XPenology ...

Do you have some advice about Native OS (Linux, Win8.1, WHS2011 ?) and VM technology (Virtual Box, Hyper-V, Workstation, ?) to use in order to get 'honorable' disk performances ?

Thank you for all your answers

ldha

I think you will be very disappointed with the performance of of XBMC and any virtual environment if you use the N54L. But, if that's all you have, then I would recommend Win8.1 and Virtualbox. If you have Linux skills, I'd go with Ubuntu.

Hi,

Anyone having the 3211 release working with Mapped RAW LUN ? My RDM (a WD 640 GB disk) is working great on release 3202 but I can't get it to work with 3211. Somehow DSM doesn't see the disk. I have been trying multiple settings but nothing new so far (current config : PVSCSI, disk on SCSI 1:0, "vmkfstools -z" generated disk).

Is there some specific configuration to do on 3211 with RAW device ?

PS : Thanks for this awesome topic guys !

John

Hi,

Anyone having the 3211 release working with Mapped RAW LUN ? My RDM (a WD 640 GB disk) is working great on release 3202 but I can't get it to work with 3211. Somehow DSM doesn't see the disk. I have been trying multiple settings but nothing new so far (current config : PVSCSI, disk on SCSI 1:0, "vmkfstools -z" generated disk).

Is there some specific configuration to do on 3211 with RAW device ?

PS : Thanks for this awesome topic guys !

John

Hi,

how could you even install 3211 build to esxi ? mine is stuck to error 22.

May you post your install steps ?

I have a bunch of raw-mapped disks, so I could test as well and try to find a solution.

3202 is fine.

Thanks Costib, installed that version yesterday and it works fine for now, I will try to attach my raw mapped drives later and report if that works.

Edit:

OK on 4.2-3211 (Trantor's beta 1.2a).

I used a RDM on a e-sata WD disk, and DSM sees it correctly (at least wants to initialize it).

But, whatever version of xpenology I've been using, I have to attach it to first PVSCSI controller. Attached to additional PVSCSI controller does not work (missing driver ?)

I am using ESXi5.0 U3 now. But i've used ESXi5.1U1 as well. I can't seems to figure out a way to add a USB device to the Xpenology VM while it's running. Everytime I want to assign a external USB hard drive to the Xpenology VM, I have to shutdown Xpenology first. Does anyone know a way to add USB device without shutting down the VM? Windows XP and Windows 7 VM supports this feature.

I am using ESXi5.0 U3 now. But i've used ESXi5.1U1 as well. I can't seems to figure out a way to add a USB device to the Xpenology VM while it's running. Everytime I want to assign a external USB hard drive to the Xpenology VM, I have to shutdown Xpenology first. Does anyone know a way to add USB device without shutting down the VM? Windows XP and Windows 7 VM supports this feature.

I'm using 5.1 U1 and have no problems plugging in a USB drive. Once plugged into ESXi, you have to add it to the Synology VM. You should be able to do this while it's running. I've had success with both WD and Seagate units

• 2 weeks later...

I have spent lots of time in making RDM to work on my ESXi box but in vain.

After reviewing the website, almost all resources uses the VMware Paravirtual SCSI (PVSCSI) Type.

That casue my Synology to shutdown right after initialize.

I finally managed to map the RDM using LSI Logic SAS as the controller type and the performance is satisfactory.

If all does matter, I tried to change the HDD type to IDE first and found it regconized by DSM 4.3. And then changed it to SCSI with LSI Logic SAS as controller.

At this point of moment, I only have 1 disc using RDM for testing and built a SHR (single drive) and iSCSI LUN + target on top of it. And this LUN were redirect back to used by the ESXi host. Everything seems fine at this moment.

on my ESXi5.5, i tried Trantor's 3211 1.2a betra2a. Initial install went OK, then the first reboot gives a GRUB 22 error. Replace the FLAT.vmdk, i can boot and load, but shuts down during the startup .

Has any one encountered the shutdown behavior?

Do NOT use VMware Paravirtual SCSI (PVSCSI).