XPEnology Community

[SOLVED] Install on vmware ESXI

I'm still running 4.2-3202 on ESXi 5.1U2 and it seems like my Synology VM utilizes all my CPU, even when idle. Has anyone else seen this? I'm using RDM for my drives, and really haven't installed anything else. Is there a way to see what's running currently and what's taking up the CPU?

EDIT: Let me clarify - the CPU usage is high in the VMWare Console, but when I log into the Synology itself, CPU is low and it doesn't appear that anything is running. Something has to be, perhaps something that's not tracked by the internal monitors.

You might have been hacked.

Update to a higher version

I'm still running 4.2-3202 on ESXi 5.1U2 and it seems like my Synology VM utilizes all my CPU, even when idle. Has anyone else seen this? I'm using RDM for my drives, and really haven't installed anything else. Is there a way to see what's running currently and what's taking up the CPU?

EDIT: Let me clarify - the CPU usage is high in the VMWare Console, but when I log into the Synology itself, CPU is low and it doesn't appear that anything is running. Something has to be, perhaps something that's not tracked by the internal monitors.

You might have been hacked.

Update to a higher version

I didn't think 4.2-3202 was susceptible to the hack that plagued 4.3? I can't upgrade at the moment so is there a way to find out what's running and shut it down?

i got 5.0 with update 2 installed in esxi 5.5 using gnoboot-alpha10.3-custom-ESXi-vfat-flat.vmdk

But i cant locate menu_alpha.lst so i can give it a serial.

i have tried searching with winscp. but i cant finde it.

anyone got a idea how to locate and edit this file?

i got 5.0 with update 2 installed in esxi 5.5 using gnoboot-alpha10.3-custom-ESXi-vfat-flat.vmdk

It's in usbshare1/boot/grub folder. :mrgreen:

It's in usbshare1/boot/grub folder. :mrgreen:

There are no usbshare1 for gnoboot when using the esxi image.

usbshare1 is mounted as my external usb drive.

The solution was to convert the vmdk file to img and mount it using OSFMount and then edit the file.

after this, it is easy to convert back to vmdk and it works perfectly.

dos anyone know why the PDMs are mounted as SSD in DSM?

• 2 weeks later...

I tried multiple times on ESXI 5.5 and when it boots up, it doesn't recognize the data hard drive.

I've tried mapping, SCSI and IDE... never sees a drive.. Trying to run the "install" from the helper gives an error 38, and the web UI says no drives.

What's the root password for an uninitialized synology?

Anyone have recommendations?

Thanks in advance.. if i find the error, I'll post a reply.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

i want to install xpenology on Vmware workstation. I did this :

-create a new virtual machine

-install knoppix, copy gnoboot-alpha10.5-ext2.img

-reset the VM, select gnoboot.me

-choose gnoboot 5.0 - 4458

- Gnoboot has an Ip address, i started Synology Assistant and send DSM_DS3612xs_4458.pat

- and when installation begins i have error 38 with telnet that not redirect to my host, but i have redirect the port 23 from my router to my VM.

What's wrong ?

Thank's for your answear.

My easiest way (gnoboot) is:

- Use StarWind V2V converter.

- Convert *vfat.img to "VMware ESX server image". You get two *.vmdk files.

- In vSphere client create new custom VM.

- Guest operating system Linux CentOS 64-bit works for me.

- NIC e1000.

- Default SCSI controller LSI logic parallel. VMware Paravirtual works too.

- Create new disk (8 GB is sufficient for testing).

- Select SCSI (0:1) because this is not the boot disk.

- Finish, Edit settings, remove CD/Floppy (probably not necessary but I like to have things simple).

- Open datastore / location of you VM.

- Upload the two vmdk files created by V2V.

- Edit VM settings, add hard disk, existing, browse to datastore / location of your VM, select 32 MB gnoboot vmdk.

- Select SCSI (0:0) because this is the boot disk.

- Edit VM settings, options, set Power On Boot Delay to e.g. 9000.

- Power on VM, open console.

- In grub select gnoboot.me then 4458.

- VM console tells you the IP, point browser to that IP, install DSM_DS3612xs_4458.pat from computer.

- Let VM reboot with gnoboot/grub defaults. Done. Enjoy.

Hi here is my post on DSM 4.3.

I;m running on VMware ESX 5.5 with an Adaptec 5805 I created 8 JBOD disks and presented them to ESX. Once the XPEnology guest was created I added the 8 disks to XPE. and enabled SHR. Config is as advised 2 sockets with each 1 core and 2 GB memory.

All is working good but looking for some reference for reade/write:

I did some tests and here are my results:

READ 50 MB/s

WRITE 80-100 MB/s

Not sure why this is I would expect a higher read speed in this setup?

What are your rates in ESX, i'm curious.

Cheers,

Hemant

What is the recommended configuration for ESXi (5.5)?

I'm going to use GNOboot. Just tried it but before I'm building a "production" build I would like to know the best config.

I created the following:

Other 2.6.x Linux x64

LSI Logic Parallel controller

2GB ram

But what do I need to change/add to my config?

1 or 2 virtual cpu sockets

1 or 2 cores per socket

Does the 2GB need to be reserved (edit VM settings -> resources)?

Any other tips?

What is the recommended configuration for ESXi (5.5)?

I'm going to use GNOboot. Just tried it but before I'm building a "production" build I would like to know the best config.

I created the following:

Other 2.6.x Linux x64

LSI Logic Parallel controller

2GB ram

But what do I need to change/add to my config?

1 or 2 virtual cpu sockets

1 or 2 cores per socket

Does the 2GB need to be reserved (edit VM settings -> resources)?

Any other tips?

my suggestion wud be using my guide here, - http://cyanlabs.co.uk/news/how-to-insta ... gy-on-esxi

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

It may be IPMI. In my configuration with asrock E3C226D2I m/b, ESXi pulls CPU all the time till I switch off IPMI sensors.

Quotation from amazon review:

VMWARE ESXi STABILITY NOTE: ESXi has an issue with many motherboards that have IPMI sensors on board where a runaway process will consume most of the CPU timeslices even without any guest OS running. A workaround for this problem is to go into Configuration -> Software -> Advanced Settings -> VMkernel -> VMkernel.Boot.ipmiEnabled and uncheck the box. Unfortunately you lose the ability to monitor temperatures, fan speeds, etc. with VMware (vSphere Client among others) software. Fortunately you can go into the web-interface for the IPMI and see the same information.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I now have XPEnology 5.0-4528 running under ESXI (NL54 Microsever), everything seems fine but both NZBGET and/or SABNZB seem to download very slowly I just can't seem to work out why!!!

Downloads work but I never seem to get a download above 800 kbps (should be getting about 2 mbps).

Not sure where to look, any help appreciated.

Thanks

HEADRAT

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I'm actually looking for a solution.

I have server machine from OVH in france, because i'm french and I want to put a xpenology on it. Its system is ESXI 5.0, and my problem with the xpenology is that I can't make a correct network configuration for Failover IP of the xpenology. I launch the xpenology VM by a Nanoboot for ESXI.

If you can help me...

Thanks a lot for you future response !

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...