XPEnology Community

[SOLVED] Install on vmware ESXI

Followed the guide to the letter, but when connecting to the Synology, it says it can not find any hard drive ...

Any thoughts about this ?

I'm using a VMFS disk.

Had the same problem until I changed the SCSI controler type to Paravirtual, and then, it worked (ESXi 5.1 on a Microserver N40L, and a VMFS disk as well - just testing...)

Followed the guide to the letter, but when connecting to the Synology, it says it can not find any hard drive ...

Any thoughts about this? I'm using a VMFS disk.

Had the same problem until I changed the SCSI controler type to Paravirtual, and then, it worked (ESXi 5.1 on a Microserver N40L, and a VMFS disk as well - just testing...)

Guys! :grin: Following the guide "to the letter" means choosing all the same options!

Guys! :grin: Following the guide "to the letter" means choosing all the same options!

I did choose that option ...

Post or PM me your VMX file (about 3Kb in size) ... I'm sure I'll then easily spot the configuration difference.

Otherwise, the only other option is that the machine you're running ESXi on has some other failure (hardware, or virtualization failure).

Post or PM me your VMX file (about 3Kb in size) ... I'm sure I'll then easily spot the configuration difference.

I did choose that option ...

I'll send it tonight when I get home.

I'm having no problems with otherVM's though ...

vmx File: link

Hey devastator, you'll be devastated to hear ... you've got the "lsilogic" controller in your configuration, not the "pvscsi" controller. You will need to power down the VM, and then change the SCSI controller type. Exactly the same issue as Portnawak had. Do this, and it should fix your problem.

Additionally, you have not reserved the memory for the Synology OS. I'd recommend reserving the memory (dedicated), as a real Synology box does not have virtualised virtual memory. I have no idea how much performance will/would suffer when the ESXi kernel swaps out the memory for the VM, and then you make a iSCSI/NFS/SAMBA request and it has to swap all the memory back in.

Other drive related matters - you additionally have added in a CD-ROM, and left the floppy drive enabled, but not connected - so I "think" that's ok ... but a Synology box doesn't have either device.

To further improve your VM, you can change the network card to use the network address "00:11:32:08:D6:2A" which is a real Synology MAC address, and the one used internally/recognised by the Synology itself. Not sure if this will "clear up" any ARP/Network issues which may arise.

Hope that helps and gets your XPEnology up and running.

Hi jukolaut, can you upload the modified sources? I'm also busy getting open-vm-tools compiled and packaged through the IPKG Optware repository.

Thanks!

Sweet! If you do get it compiled, having open-vm-tools installable through IPKG would be perfect! I'm going to give it a go shortly ... setting up the development environment soon.

jukolaut - if you can provide your modified sources - I've already downloaded the Synology GPL sources and will look into the modifications required myself. I'll continue jukolaut's work and remove the remaining SYNOIO_GET_xxxx ioctl calls which are being logged and see if I can "simply" integrate a few other VM friendly elements.

Thanks, I forgot it added a new controller when adding the data disk ...

The disk is now found, however, "an error has occured" when installing the image :sad:

EDIT: fixed ! data disk was too small ...

Fantastic - great to hear it's now sorted.

For everyone else - yes, the guide is proven and tested. Follow it, and it will work every time. :mrgreen:

:smile:

Is there a bootstrap available ?

I've checked http://packages.quadrat4.de/, but this model is not supported ?

From this german forum, it's apparently fine to use the Atom bootstrap. You would then need to do the process manually (Info Here).

The other "possible" option is that we change the model which the XPEnology thinks it is - something smaller ... but then "drives would be lost".

As promised, the kernel modules compiled for the Synology ESXi build :smile:

Make sure the vSynology is bootstrapped.

the script will copy the VMWare kernel modules in /opt/lib/modules/ which is 3.2.30 at the moment.

ssh to the DS

cd /opt/tmp

wget http://users.skynet.be/synology/i686/sy ... 3.2.30.zip

unzip syno_vmware_kernel_mod_x86_64_3.2.30.zip

cd syno_vmware_kernel_mod_x86_64_3.2.30/

chmod 777 S37vmware.sh

./S37vmware.sh start

the output should look like this:

Package module-init-tools (3.5-1) installed in root is up to date.

Nothing to be done

Successfully terminated.

Loading VMware kernel modules...

vmblock.ko: success

vmci.ko: success

vmsync.ko: success

vmxnet.ko: success

vmhgfs.ko: success

vsock.ko: success

if you check the loaded modules, the output of the command lsmod | grep vm is:

vmhgfs 52216 0 - Live 0xffffffffa02f5000 (O)

vmxnet 17249 0 - Live 0xffffffffa009f000 (O)

vmsync 3203 0 - Live 0xffffffffa0045000 (O)

vmci 69871 2 vsock,vmhgfs, Live 0xffffffffa0391000 (O)

vmblock 11260 0 - Live 0xffffffffa01b3000 (O)

still some work to do, but the main goal is reached; we can compile and load open-vm-tools in the vSynology.

When I have some time this week, I'll try to package everything into an IPKG, which makes it much easier to install.

Cheers

I received my extra hardware from eBay last week and my ESXi whitebox + virtual XPEnology are up and running ! I followed to the letter Tuatara's excellent tutorial with HDD configured in PVSCSI, I reach 90MB/s.

Motherboard : Intel DQ45DB

Processor : Intel Core2Quad Q9400

Memory : 4GB

Hard drives : 2x WD Red 3TB

Thanks again for your guide. I'm not currently at home, and I'm eager to install bootstrap + open-vm-tools. I guess that VM Tools will allow you to control shutdown/sleep/hibernate directly from the vSphere client ?

As promised, the kernel modules compiled for the Synology ESXi build :smile:

Make sure the vSynology is bootstrapped.

the script will copy the VMWare kernel modules in /opt/lib/modules/ which is 3.2.30 at the moment.

[...]

I installed open-vm-tools but the script doesn't start on boot and even if I start the script after boot, vSphere client still sees VMware Tools as "Not Installed", is that normal ?

Tomek, as stated, there some more work to do. I'm extending the script and testing all functions.

Meanwhile if you start the VMWare tools daemon with the following command, it will show the VMWare tools as installed and running.

/opt/bin/vmtoolsd --background /var/run/vmtoolsd.pid

/didi

I am having a hard time getting NFS working on my ESXi build. When I check to see if NFS is listening on port 2049 I get:

DiskStation> netstat -tulpn | grep 2049

DiskStation>

I try to start NFS manually:

DiskStation> /usr/syno/etc/rc.d/S83nfsd.sh start

Starting NFS server...

:: Loading module rpcsec_gss_krb5 ... [FAILED]

:: Loading module exportfs ... [ OK ]

:: Loading module nfsd ... [FAILED]

mount: mounting none on /proc/fs/nfsd failed: No such device

I try to load the FAILED modules manually:

DiskStation> insmod /lib/modules/nfsd.ko

insmod: can't insert '/lib/modules/nfsd.ko': unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter

DiskStation> insmod /lib/modules/rpcsec_gss_krb5.ko

insmod: can't insert '/lib/modules/rpcsec_gss_krb5.ko': unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter

Not sure where to go from here . . .

Anyone that can help?

Ok, do you need sources or binaries?

The binaries are here(v2): http://yadi.sk/d/fTRkFMyU3D8Yc

This is based on odie82544's DS3612xs_3202-Repack images, so thanks for those! Only the kernel, modules and linuxrc.syno are modified so far.

The archive contains both the .pat file for installation and .vmdk file for boot.

Create the virtual machine to esxi and add hardware:

• IDE controller with single harddisk (vmdk file in archive). Boot from this.
  • PVSCSI controller and raw harddisks or vmdk files for data. I've tested with 3 disks so far.
  • VMXNET3 network. Only single interface in bridged mode is tested so far. MAC address can be anything.

Follow the installation instructions elsewhere in this forum to install the pat file.

I wouldn't use this for anything else than evaluation yet.

Hello,

Do you know if xpenology can be installed on a VM with ESXi 4.1 ( not 5.1) ? Which version should (could) be used ?

Thanks

I managed to fix this issue due to some module was not loaded ,which is required by NFS. I had modify the /etc/rc script to check whether nfs is enable, then load the module. you can test it.

To test it, you can just try to ssh to the nas and execute below command 
#insmod /lib/modules/auth_rpcgss.ko
#/usr/syno/etc/rc.d/S83nfsd.sh restart

##### Load module for NFS --- code for /etc/rc

Support=`/bin/get_key_value /etc.defaults/synoinfo.conf supportNFS`

if [ "$Support" = "yes" ]; then
       insmod /lib/modules/auth_rpcgss.ko
fi

I managed to fix this issue due to some module was not loaded ,which is required by NFS. I had modify the /etc/rc script to check whether nfs is enable, then load the module. you can test it.

To test it, you can just try to ssh to the nas and execute below command 
#insmod /lib/modules/auth_rpcgss.ko
#/usr/syno/etc/rc.d/S83nfsd.sh restart

##### Load module for NFS --- code for /etc/rc

Support=`/bin/get_key_value /etc.defaults/synoinfo.conf supportNFS`

if [ "$Support" = "yes" ]; then
       insmod /lib/modules/auth_rpcgss.ko
fi

Thank you so much!!! You fixed my problem!