XPEnology Community

[SOLVED] Install on vmware ESXI

Hi,

I have just installed DSM4.3 on my Microserver N40L running ESXi 5.5 . Everything but raw HDD mapping seems to work fine. I followed this guide: http://forza-it.co.uk/esxi-5-1-using-raw-device-mappings-rdm-on-an-hp-microserver/ . Unfortunately the mapped HDD does not appear in Storage Manager, altough I can see it using fdisk -l as /dev/sdq (it's a 2TB Toshiba drive which has data on it / was used before in another XPEnology install). Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Disk /dev/sdq: 2000.3 GB, 2000398934016 bytes
   255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 243201 cylinders
   Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks  Id System
   /dev/sdq1               1         311     2490240  fd Linux raid autodetect
   Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary
   /dev/sdq2             311         572     2097152  fd Linux raid autodetect
   Partition 2 does not end on cylinder boundary
   /dev/sdq3             588      243201  1948793440+ fd Linux raid autodetect

Hi,

I have just installed DSM4.3 on my Microserver N40L running ESXi 5.5 . Everything but raw HDD mapping seems to work fine. I followed this guide: http://forza-it.co.uk/esxi-5-1-using-raw-device-mappings-rdm-on-an-hp-microserver/ . Unfortunately the mapped HDD does not appear in Storage Manager, altough I can see it using fdisk -l as /dev/sdq (it's a 2TB Toshiba drive which has data on it / was used before in another XPEnology install). Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Disk /dev/sdq: 2000.3 GB, 2000398934016 bytes
   255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 243201 cylinders
   Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks  Id System
   /dev/sdq1               1         311     2490240  fd Linux raid autodetect
   Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary
   /dev/sdq2             311         572     2097152  fd Linux raid autodetect
   Partition 2 does not end on cylinder boundary
   /dev/sdq3             588      243201  1948793440+ fd Linux raid autodetect

• 2 weeks later...

I've learned a lot by installing ESXi 5.5 on a HP GEN8 Microserver with gnoboot alpha5 -> alpha 9 and DSM 4.3. Everything seems to be working with RDM. I took one drive from my old DS213 and plugged it in and DSM recognized it. Took me 2 days to put in a second drive for SHR redundancy. Now i'm expanding the volume with a 3rd 3TB drive and it's going to take another 2 days. I have a last 3TB drive I am planning to put in for maximum capacity :smile:

Question: I can't find download link for gnoboot-openvmtools-v4. What benefits do I get for installing this?

Next, I am going to install pFsense and configure some VLAN networking on the ESXi host...

Same problem for me with error 22 after installing the pat file.

the adapter typ is IDE & the main disk is SCSI Node 0:0.

So how do i patch the pat to work?

I resovled error 22 issue by below steps:

1. Power on VM using a Linux live CD, in the console dd gnoBoot img to your boot disk (assume it's your first disk named boot_disk);

2. Poweroff your VM, then copy boot_disk.vmdk from datastore folder to local for backup purpose;

3. Power on VM to continue with assistant to complete install and configuration;

4. System will be reboot, sure, you will see error 22, don't be panic. Just power off VM, copy back your saved boot_disk.vmdk to overwrite the same one in datastore, then power on, go ahead for a fire.

Visit my blog to get open-vm-tools spk, but DSM 5.x is not supported at the moment.

EDIT: gnoboot-openvmtools-v4 available for download. :wink:

Can gnoboot-openvmtools-v4 be used with DSM 5 4418 update 1?

If so, where to download?

Running DSM 5 4418 update on ESXI 5.5 on HP40L with gnoboot-alpha5.

My XPEnology now writes 2x faster than real QNAP 410p+. :grin:

No issues

Would it make sense to try alpha10?

gnoboot-openvmtools-v5 available for download at my blog. Check out the ADs or email me for donations to continue gnoBoot development. Enjoy! :wink:

2014/03/08 09:29:15 Install open-vm-tools 9.4.0-1280544-50 successfully

2014/03/08 09:29:15 Start open-vm-tools: start 9.4.0-1280544-50 successfully

Thanx!

:grin:

i use this software

Links for VMWARE_OVF 4.1 Version Workstation 9 :

but can not open at dell r720 esxi 5.0

error message :

The OVF package requires unsupported hardware

Details: Line 27:Unsupported hardware family 'vmx-09'.

please help me how to fix error

i use this software

Links for VMWARE_OVF 4.1 Version Workstation 9 :

but can not open at dell r720 esxi 5.0

error message :

The OVF package requires unsupported hardware

Details: Line 27:Unsupported hardware family 'vmx-09'.

please help me how to fix error

ESXi 5.0 support virtual hardware up to version 8.

You can downgrade VM version to vm-8 in the VMWare workstation, modify .ovf file with text editor, or better yet upgrade you ESXi server to version 5.1 or newer.

gnoboot-openvmtools-v5 available for download at my blog. Check out the ADs or email me for donations to continue gnoBoot development. Enjoy! :wink:

Can't get it to work - "Failed to run the package service." Log says:

"NAS is not a virtual machine..."
"vmtoolsd is not running..."

It's running on ESXi 5.5 vmx-9. Do I miss something?

Can't get it to work - "Failed to run the package service." Log says:

"NAS is not a virtual machine..."
"vmtoolsd is not running..."

It's running on ESXi 5.5 vmx-9. Do I miss something?

I think I just figured this out, might be the same for you. My volume is actually volume2 instead of volume1 like most people have by default. If you SSH into the VM and goto /var/packages/open-vm-tools/start-stop-status and edit that file there is a line that says "PROGDIR=/volume1/@appstore/open-vm-tools". change that to "PROGDIR=/volume2/@appstore/open-vm-tools". This fixed mine, hope it works for yours.

I think I just figured this out, might be the same for you. My volume is actually volume2 instead of volume1 like most people have by default. If you SSH into the VM and goto /var/packages/open-vm-tools/start-stop-status and edit that file there is a line that says "PROGDIR=/volume1/@appstore/open-vm-tools". change that to "PROGDIR=/volume2/@appstore/open-vm-tools". This fixed mine, hope it works for yours.
Woohoo, this forum rocks.

I didn't find this start-stop-status file but I uninstalled vmtools, created a volume1 and reinstalled there. Now it's working, thx. :idea:

I have a problem that I'm hoping someone has experience with, and maybe a solution. I have a VM setup with synology DSM. It has VTd, and has a LSI 9211-8i passed through. I have a 5 hard drive bay, and disks 1-4 are part of the DSM array. The 5th drive is configured as esata via the /etc.defaults/synoinfo.conf file. The problem is if the drive is connected when DSM is booting up, it seems to randomly (?) pick the first 4 disks that get initialized for starting the array. The first time I booted up with all 5 disks in, it booted to a degraded array because it used the wrong disk, the one for backups, as an array disk. I powered down, removed the backup drive, powered on, and the array was still marked as degraded... I guess once it gets marked it can't be reversed without repairing it.

Anyway, now I make sure to remove the drive before booting up... Anyone have any solutions to my problem? Or another way to make a specific drive seen only as esata by DSM?

I'm still running 4.2-3202 on ESXi 5.1U2 and it seems like my Synology VM utilizes all my CPU, even when idle. Has anyone else seen this? I'm using RDM for my drives, and really haven't installed anything else. Is there a way to see what's running currently and what's taking up the CPU?

EDIT: Let me clarify - the CPU usage is high in the VMWare Console, but when I log into the Synology itself, CPU is low and it doesn't appear that anything is running. Something has to be, perhaps something that's not tracked by the internal monitors.