XPEnology Community

Updates 6.1.X

topgun303

Question

I have the xpenology ds3617xs software running on my old HP desktop. I am using this nas at home to store videos and personal work files. I have couple of following questions

• At the moment I am on version DSM 6.1.4-15217 Update 1
    • can I update to DSM 6.1.4-15217 Update 2?
  • Is it safe to obtain Synology ddns address or use one of the free ones out there such as no-ip?

4 answers to this question

14 hours ago, topgun303 said:

I have the xpenology ds3617xs software running on my old HP desktop. I am using this nas at home to store videos and personal work files. I have couple of following questions

• At the moment I am on version DSM 6.1.4-15217 Update 1
    • can I update to DSM 6.1.4-15217 Update 2?
  • Is it safe to obtain Synology ddns address or use one of the free ones out there such as no-ip?

If you have a look at the 'Critical Updates' section of the forum you will see a thread about this Update

It looks like many members have applied the update ok, but I would compare your hardware to some of the systems mentioned to check for any issues. Also, you should have an off system backup of your critical data 'just in case'. 

Regarding the DDNS, my personal recommendation (and my own setup) is to create your DDNS on your router (with a free account and these generally offer at least one domain) and setup port forwarding to your NAS to access the web page and apps. In addition, (again my setup) a VPN is a good idea, using the XPE/DSM package.  Have a look at this post, which outlines DDNS on the NAS and also VPN, as asked by another member

• Like 1