XPEnology Community

xpenology on AM4 Bristol Ridge A8-9600

zulu7

hello all,

first of all, i would like to express how grateful and much appreciated all of your great hard works that you made this available for us for free.

i've read and watch so many videos & articles saying Synology's DSN (some says it's sleeker & more user friendly & features-rich than FreeNAS) is great and i'm really interested to build mine with AMD AM4 socket, "Bristol Ridge" A8-9600.

i really love the AM4 socket, if one day i decided to make use my motherboard (Gigabyte GA-AB350-Gaming 3 - supports NVMe/PCIe x4 32Gbps) for desktop use, i can just swap the CPU with higher end ones like Ryzen 5 or 7 series, add some GPU and add more RAMs.

The reason i choose A8-9600 is that it's cheap and perform better (in cpubenchmark.net) than the Celeron J3455 that is in the DS918+.

so, can i use AM4 A8-9600 for the xpenology?

thanks for your support.

Best wishes,

Z

Hello and welcome to the forum.

I don't think other people have ever used that CPU to install DSM. You might be the first one. So try it out and let us know. This said, a lot of people use AMD platforms like the N36L or N54L so in principle it could work. A word of caution though those using those platforms need to disable the C1E function in the bios before being able to install DSM. Also note that natively Synology does not offer AMD based machines and although Jun (the loader developper) has made some efforts to make AMD compatible, he clearly mentioned that it needs some more work on that platform.

Good luck and report once you have carried out some tests.

hi, thanks for the fast response.

since my first computer in 2001, i actually never use AMD platform. but i really think that the AM4 socket is really nice and has wide range of usage.

i backup manually, yes, that would be like 2 days to copy all the files in my mac (usb 2.0) to the blank external drive. this has been going on for years, until this week, i just couldn't take it anymore.

this is going to be my first ever NAS build. i'm a complete noob, do you think i can do it with AMD platform? or just to be in the safe side, shouldn't i just go with the blue team?

so i've been lurking around and found some interesting info in the Emby forum. can i post the link here? please delete the link if it's against any rules that i'm not aware of.

what encourage me a bit was someone has install DSM 6.1 in Ryzen 1600 + X370 combo (but this setup is way too expensive for my pocket right now). X370 shouldn't be so much different with B350.

i dont like to fail because of the hardware incompatibility, i'm thinking real hard. LOL.

can you point me to the direction where i can see the list of features/protocols that the Synology DSM that being use from the CPU features?

my thinking is i want to check what features from the intel CPU is being used by the Synology DSM and compare them with the bristol ridge i want to use. will that work?

again, sorry if i'm asking too much silly question for you. :)

Edited by zulu7

I have a Gygabite intel based box and if one doesn't know what to choose I usually recommend intel for the reasons I gave above, but if you already have all the hardware, then there's nothing wrong in trying to install DSM on it. You'll see if it works or not. In the worst case scenario you can always virtualise DSM. The hardware in this case is mostly irrelevant.

As for CPU features and all you can go to Synology's website and check their machines. You will see the specs of all machines there but the ones that you should care about are the DS3615xs, DS3617xs and DS916+. Why? Because those are the three machines that the loader is able to emulate.

If you already have the hardware simply try installing DSM. There is a tutorial that I made. Follow it to the lettre.

I have a Gygabite intel based box and if one doesn't know what to choose I usually recommend intel for the reasons I gave above, but if you already have all the hardware, then there's nothing wrong in trying to install DSM on it. You'll see if it works or not. In the worst case scenario you can always virtualise DSM. The hardware in this case is mostly irrelevant.

As for CPU features and all you can go to Synology's website and check their machines. You will see the specs of all machines there but the ones that you should care about are the DS3615xs, DS3617xs and DS916+. Why? Because those are the three machines that the loader is able to emulate.

If you already have the hardware simply try installing DSM. There is a tutorial that I made. Follow it to the lettre.
Thank you very much, that is very enlightening. I was just about to buy the AM4 Bristol Ridge. I was searching the best value combination of brand new motherboard+cpu that will run the xpenology, thats how i got the idea using AM4 socket. Do you have any recommendations what i should use? Intel cpu, brand new, lowest price possible.

Sent from my ASUS_Z017DB using Tapatalk