XPEnology Community

File Station connection to Cloud Service

RobsterUK

Running DSM 5.2-5967 Update 6.

Trying to get File Station connected to Dropbox.
Go through connection wizard and sign into Dropbox. 'Allow' the API request. Click to Agree the redirection.

Then get prompted with 'Operation Failed'.

I have added a connection to Google Drive using the same DSM account, so there is not a permission issue there.

The API status in Dropbox shows an entry for Synology File Station.

I have file station logging enabled, but nothing helpful is reported in the log center.
Are there any other logs I can look into this issue?

I'm stumped.

2 hours ago, RobsterUK said:

Running DSM 5.2-5967 Update 6.

Trying to get File Station connected to Dropbox.
Go through connection wizard and sign into Dropbox. 'Allow' the API request. Click to Agree the redirection.

Then get prompted with 'Operation Failed'.

I have added a connection to Google Drive using the same DSM account, so there is not a permission issue there.

The API status in Dropbox shows an entry for Synology File Station.

I have file station logging enabled, but nothing helpful is reported in the log center.
Are there any other logs I can look into this issue?

I'm stumped.

This might be serial number/mac address related, I think some authentication takes place through synology servers and may not work if not 'genuine'. If you are using your own sn/mac you might find that using a real one to connect works, and after authentication you can swap back and the connection remains. Also, isnt google drive login via a gmail address/password? That wont be a DSM account unless you have used email addresses of course :)

Thanks for the reply.

I only mentioned the DSM account as in the file station settings>Mount/Connections>Server and Cloud Service - you can specify what DSM users can add connections to remote services.

When I first created my XPENO box during 2015 I created a serial and MAC form the generator tools available at the time. So not using a genuine one, but not the default one either.

Yes google connection requires google account credentials, which the dropbox one does too.

I used to be able to access the dropbox service this way & i'm fairly certain that it was done without any DSM updates applied.

Some additional logs somewhere to indicate why it is failing would be handy too!

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Managed to gain this from the logs

nas entry.cgi_SYNO.FileStation.VFS.Connection[1].create[26403]: error_handler.cpp:752 dropbox response error code=400
Nov 23 10:52:49 
nas entry.cgi_SYNO.FileStation.VFS.Connection[1].create[26403]: dropbox.cpp:101 
Failed to process curl https://api.dropbox.com/1/account/info, err:{"code":27,"curl_code":0,"msg":"{\"error\": \"v1_retired\"}","response_code":400}
Nov 23 10:52:49

Along with this link to say APi v1 is depreciated

I may be way off, but it sounds like the File Station uses Dropbox's API v1 to connect and therefore is no longer working as they have turned it off.
I may try the Syno forums to see if there's anyone else having issues.

Have just found this on their forum.

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Syncing-and-uploads/Unable-to-connect-to-Dropbox-account-on-Synology-CloudSync/m-p/246683

Although related to Cloud Sync, they're getting a similar error.

Synology will need to re-create using the APi v2. May be in a future update, or may even be on DSM 6. But I'm in no rush to move to DSM 6 yet, so will leave it as it is for now.

Edited by RobsterUK