XPEnology Community

Good CPU for Xpenology build

SandLake

Question

12 answers to this question

19 minutes ago, SandLake said:

I guess I was thinking of something like plex transcoding but also as I don't really understand how the boot loader thing works, does it emulate the processor of for example the DS3615xs

To get an idea of what might be a good cpu for your build, have a look at the real DS3615/7 and 916 specs and work from there. https://www.synology.com/en-uk/knowledgebase/DSM/tutorial/General/What_kind_of_CPU_does_my_NAS_have

7 minutes ago, SandLake said:

I guess I was thinking of something like plex transcoding but also as I don't really understand how the boot loader thing works, does it emulate the processor of for example the DS3615xs

ok, for plex then yes a quad core cpu would make a difference. As for the boot loader it doesn't emulate a cpu, rather it facilitates the loading of the DSM OS.

Thank you. I used the term emulate very loosely, I know that OS's and software need to be written to take advantage of multi-core processors. I see now that a DS3615xs has a quad core processor so that implies that DSM does make full use of quad core, still not sure about Plex on DSM but it's a safe bet it does too.

Thanks for your help

3 hours ago, SandLake said:

Thank you. I used the term emulate very loosely, I know that OS's and software need to be written to take advantage of multi-core processors. I see now that a DS3615xs has a quad core processor so that implies that DSM does make full use of quad core, still not sure about Plex on DSM but it's a safe bet it does too.

Thanks for your help

I dont use plex myself but I think it is multithreaded to make the most of cores available and also, some research will give you various linux commands that will show plex process usage on the nas. 

i have ben wondering this same thing! i was thinking about trying to use a old dell with a i5 650 prosesor ! from what i can gather it should work just fine ! but who knows..lol. n the reason i want to build one,is i love my synology ds214se its great..but its just not fast or big enouf for some things i want to try n do now days..an if ifjust buy a big one then were talking at least a grand up to 3,maybe 4 grand..thts a ******* ton to me..lol. hell im just a poor country boy tht hapent to love tek,pcs,gadgets.ext so i thnk building one jst makes more sence to me.. i have ipads,2-3 gaming pcs to back up, and some other stuff i just want to try n do,ples/or kodi i dono yet..but i just need cheep parts(im on a very tight budget) - hdds, as i alredy have a bunch o 3tb hdds

2 hours ago, BIGCHEW151 said:

i have ben wondering this same thing! i was thinking about trying to use a old dell with a i5 650 prosesor ! from what i can gather it should work just fine ! but who knows..lol.

dual core should do for handling data with 1 or 2 GBIt/s network speed, dont expect it to transcode hd or 4k with plex, but just streaming that stuff without transcoding should work

hell im just a poor country boy tht hapent to love tek,pcs,gadgets

realy?

i have ipads

"s" so more then one, mmhhh

,2-3 gaming pcs to back up,

what just only 3, yeah that's a poor man's equipment

maybe a VR headset laying around somewhere collection dust :-)

i alredy have a bunch o 3tb hdds

most people on budget dont have those in numbers laying around

just read the tutorial and use the 3615 image

If you haven't built a server yet, getting an compatible chipset, SATA controller, network card are most important.

But you could always select a platform with dual cores that was upgradable to a quad-core chip.

If you are not going to transcode, run 10GBe network, or run a lot of VM's you don't even need a high clock rate.  There's a reason that 8 year old Atom CPU's are still running DSM.