XPEnology Community

Does CPU make a difference if used just as storage?

MarcHT91

1 hour ago, MarcHT91 said:

Hi, everybody speaks about performance when using plex or similar, but if I only use my xpeno build as storage, does a xeon make any difference over a dual core?

thanks!

In essence no, if all you're going to use it for is storage, then a dual core cpu will be fine. Having said that, if you're going to be purchasing something rather than making use of existing hardware it might be worth considering whether you will need more horsepower in the future.

15 minutes ago, Dfds said:

In essence no, if all you're going to use it for is storage, then a dual core cpu will be fine. Having said that, if you're going to be purchasing something rather than making use of existing hardware it might be worth considering whether you will need more horsepower in the future.

Good. Thanks!

I already have a machine, but being a socket 775 xeon are quite cheap and I was wandering if it was worth it

51 minutes ago, MarcHT91 said:

Good. Thanks!

I already have a machine, but being a socket 775 xeon are quite cheap and I was wandering if it was worth it

You could always use the existing machine to try things out & then buy a better cpu if you feel you need it. There are lots of things you can use DSM for besides storage.