XPEnology Community

critical updates fail, reinstall?

ideasman69

Question

Hi guys,

Currently running Juns latest loader on ESXi with 6.1.3 update 6. For whatever reason, all critical updates since this version all fail to install - says something about the file being corrupt.

Also tried downloading the full 6.1.4 221MB PAT and applying that but it also fails (error 221?). Just wondering what the procedure is to re-install DSM from scratch but keep just the data on my SHR array?

Cheers!

3 answers to this question

17 hours ago, ideasman69 said:

Hi guys,

Currently running Juns latest loader on ESXi with 6.1.3 update 6. For whatever reason, all critical updates since this version all fail to install - says something about the file being corrupt.

Also tried downloading the full 6.1.4 221MB PAT and applying that but it also fails (error 221?). Just wondering what the procedure is to re-install DSM from scratch but keep just the data on my SHR array?

Cheers!

This is only a guess but its possible that Synology are tightening up on updating devices that are not 'genuine' so if you are running with non syno mac and or serial number this might be why.  If you swap your mac/serial for the ones in the boot loader (which I think are genuine) and try, it might work, then swap back afterwards.

On 11/16/2017 at 3:55 AM, sbv3000 said:

This is only a guess but its possible that Synology are tightening up on updating devices that are not 'genuine' so if you are running with non syno mac and or serial number this might be why.  If you swap your mac/serial for the ones in the boot loader (which I think are genuine) and try, it might work, then swap back afterwards.

Unfortunately not. The serial I was using was from a serial generator recommended in main the DSM 5.0 -> DSM 6.1 tutorial on these forums. I switched it back to the serial Jun originally had in there but it didn't make a difference.

I ended up doing a full reinstall but kept all the data following some advice i stumbled upon in another thread.

As i'm using ESX, this is what I did:

- removed the SATA controller from the VM

- added a new virtual HDD

- booted up Juns loaded

- installed a fresh copy of 6.1.4 to the one and only virtual HDD

- re-added in my SATA controller (which all my data drives are connected to)

- once the fresh copy of 6.1.4 loaded, it detected my 2 arrays and synology asked me to repair the system partitions on those drives (which it did).

- shutdown the VM, removed the virtual HDD. 

- done!

I simply installed Docker and noticed all 9 docker containers started up with no issues at all. f**king amazing!