XPEnology Community

run PFSense in Virtual Machine

bsalvador

Question

Hello everyone,

I want to remove my router and install a PfSense Virtual Machine inside XpEnology DS3617xs.

For the LAN part it is OK, the problem is the PPPoE.

It seems that I cannot PPPoE from the Virtual Machine, I'm not sure if need network passthrough to the VM (I believe that DSM do not support that).

Also, I cannot find PPPoE inside Lan settings on DSM.

My ideia was to Connect LAN1(WAN) to the offense VM only, and the LAN2(LAN) will be connected to the switch, providing all the LAN functions (DHCP, etc).

I used for some time pfsense inside ESXi, but then I moved to XPEnology bare metal.

1 answer to this question

2 hours ago, bsalvador said:

Hello everyone,

I want to remove my router and install a PfSense Virtual Machine inside XpEnology DS3617xs.

For the LAN part it is OK, the problem is the PPPoE.

It seems that I cannot PPPoE from the Virtual Machine, I'm not sure if need network passthrough to the VM (I believe that DSM do not support that).

Also, I cannot find PPPoE inside Lan settings on DSM.

My ideia was to Connect LAN1(WAN) to the offense VM only, and the LAN2(LAN) will be connected to the switch, providing all the LAN functions (DHCP, etc).

I used for some time pfsense inside ESXi, but then I moved to XPEnology bare metal.

I'm not sure you can achieve what you want, because of the reasons you have already started to find. It may be easier to stick with ESXi, run pfsense in one vm and XPE/DSM another, that way you are not putting a dependency on XPE/DSM being the 'core' of your network. If you setup a 4 port NIC in ESXi you could allocate one port to the WAN, one to LAN functions and the other 2 to XPE/DSM for performance.