XPEnology Community

Adding new NIC intel 82575 post-installation of DSM 6.1

MitchBook

Hi everyone,

it's my first post, very excited about joining the community. First of all, congratulations for the huge work done.

But I have a question: about 2 weeks ago i configured a brand new NAS with the jun's loader. Today I bought a 2port nic card with Intel 82575 chipset to create a LAG on my 4-lan-port sophos firewall. When I receive the card what will be the best way to find the new MAC addresses and edit the grub.cfg file?

Boot Ubuntu from an usb stick and modify grub.cfg from there?

Do boot from ubuntu (in case with no usb loader key and no disk) but modify grub.cfg from the grub command line?

If I proceed with command-line modification by specifying mac2 and mac3, other configurations remain untouched, right?

How do I set the netif_num value considering that the two additional ports will be in LAG? Remain =1?

Thank you so much for all and apologize for my bad English, a mix of personal knowledge and google translate (i'm italian)

Mac address should be on a sticker on the card. If not then use ubuntu first. Once you have the MAC addresses modify the grub.cfg file on the usb stick then boot DSM. If for some reason you can't access DSM from the original port then try each port at a time.

Note: I have read some posts in the past where adding an additional NIC after DSM is installed may end up preventing you to access DSM again. I can't confirm this myself as I have never added any hardware post installation (except HDD of course) so I would recommend you to make a backup of your data first in case things go wrong.

12 hours ago, MitchBook said:

Hi everyone,

it's my first post, very excited about joining the community. First of all, congratulations for the huge work done.

But I have a question: about 2 weeks ago i configured a brand new NAS with the jun's loader. Today I bought a 2port nic card with Intel 82575 chipset to create a LAG on my 4-lan-port sophos firewall. When I receive the card what will be the best way to find the new MAC addresses and edit the grub.cfg file?

Boot Ubuntu from an usb stick and modify grub.cfg from there?

Do boot from ubuntu (in case with no usb loader key and no disk) but modify grub.cfg from the grub command line?

If I proceed with command-line modification by specifying mac2 and mac3, other configurations remain untouched, right?

How do I set the netif_num value considering that the two additional ports will be in LAG? Remain =1?

Thank you so much for all and apologize for my bad English, a mix of personal knowledge and google translate (i'm italian)

If the MACs are not on a sticker on the card, sometimes Intel NICs are set to lan boot and the mac address of connected ports will show on a monitor.  Disable the on-board NIC (otherwise the system might detect 3 NICs and get upset. Also, creating your LAG/Team - I believe this needs the switch/firewall to be set with teamed ports, but also specific teaming network drivers/modules in the linux kernel, not sure if there are any in the current XPE boot loader/add on modules.  If the LAG works then I think you would leave netif_num as 1, and the MAC address will be the virtual one created for the teamed connection. 

Suggest you do a complete XPE/DSM test build using a spare HDD and the Intel NIC as LAG. And backup before you go to production as @polanskiman says

• 3 months later...

Did u ever get this card to work?? 

On 13/11/2017 at 10:44 AM, MitchBook said:

Thanks for the support.
Great idea to test with a spare HD. I just think I will set up an identical system but without data and I will try to make changes to that.
As soon as I get the card I'll briefly report on my experience.

Did u get this card to work?? 

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

I finally found the time to install the card using a spare HD. I newly made the first configuration with the integrated card again and then added the PCI-Express card to see what was happening. To my surprise, the additional card was seen on the first shot and the OS disable the integrated card (it's no longer seen in the list of available cards).
I suppose that inserting the NIC of the network card on the bootable USB stick is only for preboot and installation, after which Synology OS manages the drivers.

• 6 months later...

I would like to revisit this topic:  I've an HP G7 N54L running 1.02b bootloader and DSM 6.1.7-15284 Update 2 (DS3615xs) using the onboard NIC. I've since purchased an Intel 82575-T2 PCIe 1Gb dual port adapter which I'd like to add (and disable the onboard NIC). Based on MitchBook's experience, I was planning to 

1. Insert new NIC card and using the BIOS (a) disable the onboard NIC and (b) confirm the MAC(s) of the new NIC ports

2. Must I now edit grub.cfg to reflect I've now got two ports with updated MACs *before* I reboot [force mode] ?

Have I missed anything else ?

Thanks in advance Paul