XPEnology Community

MAX 10 Drives in DSM 6.1

grodzuik

Hello

I've built an Xpenology system with a 2u server enclosure the has 12 hot swap drive bays connected to 2 HBA's with 8 drives on HBA1 and 4 drives on HBA2.

I start by connecting 1 drive and it shows up in the DSM. Connect a second drive and it shows up in the DSM. This continues to work great up to the 10th drive.

Once I connect the 11th drive, it doesn't show up in the DSM and the 12th drive also will not show up in the the DSM. Always only 10 drives.

I've tried with the default settings and then by modifying the synoinfo.conf files in /etc and /etc.defaults all to no avail. Always max 10 drives no matter what I do.

Any ideas or solutions you could suggest? I'm using jun's boot loader v.1.02b and img file ds3615.

Thank-you!

hi,

the numbers to change in synoinfo.conf are binary and then converted to hex and there is more then one number to change

the numberds depend on the amount of sata ports you have (dsm default is 12)

you say 2 hba's (same type/brand?) so each 8 ports and there are onboard sata ports (2,4,6?) so the amount of satat ports will bei x+8+8 (dsm usualy starts counting with the onboard ports) if the number is to small then some ports of your 2nd hba will be missed out and you will exactly see ehat you describe

you should watch this video to get the numbers right and if unsure about the number of sata ports make it 24 and calculate the numbers for esata and usb for 24 sata ports

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PSGAZy7LVQ

how do the drives appear in storage manager (ie is hba drive 1 dsm drive 1) ? If you work our the connections it can help diagnosing this.

Also, following @IG-88 comment, disable on board sata ports so that the only controllers are the HBAs, that way your 12 available drive connections will match the 12 limit and you wont need to alter synoinfo.conf

Without modifying the synoinfo.conf file I actually only get 6 disks visible in the storage manager with a default install. See attached photo.

I achieved 10 drives by modifying both synoinfo.conf files. I modified max drives, and the 3 hex fields for internal, usb and esata,

The 2 HBAs are identical allowing for 8 drives per HBA. I have a super micro motherboard and have disabled the onboard sata ports.

The HBAs are  IT Mode Genuine LSI 9211-8i SAS SATA 8-port PCI-E Card.

I also tried to append SataPortMap=22 and get 10 drives. Trying SataPortMap=12 got me to 11 drives, but I can't get to 12 drives.

5a050be747923_ScreenShot2017-11-09at7_10_58PM.png.ac08a9058e6f703dd01a1f591e0d60e0.png5a050bfe6f67c_ScreenShot2017-11-09at7_10_26PM.png.067f4a71923d3c218c3fc094c6606b1d.png

what values did you use in synoinfo.conf?

for 16 internal disks (no esata) and 4 usb it has to this

maxdisks=16

esataportcfg=0x0
usbportcfg=0xf0000
internalportcfg=0xffff

if using sataportmap then it will be the amount of ports for each controller in dezimal in a row like 688 (6 internal, 8 port hba, 8 port hba) or 88 (hba, hba) when internal is diabled, but usualy thats not needed

PS:what systemboard?

Edited by IG-88

why should it be different with 3617, its all the same dsm 6.1 and how it works

did you tryed the 16 disk settings?

the board has 6 onboard sata + 8+8 sata from the hba's and 9 usb

you can try this config, it should cover all disks even if the onboard sata are counted

maxdisks=22
esataportcfg=0x0
usbportcfg=0x‭7FC00000‬
internalportcfg=‭0x3FFFFF‬

kind of ok for the hdd's but there is a usb drive that should'nt be there as hdd, so there ist still something not right

try to enable all 6 onboard sata ports, the disk count of 22 is expecting them all to be present

atm it looks like as 4 of the sata ports are enabled, your bord has 2+4 onboard sata ports (2 x sata3, 4 x sata2, manual page 2-38)

as 2 are missing the count of 22 gets the first 2 usb ports as disks (the last 2 positions in the gui, including your boot media, a 8GB usb flash drive)

if you want to leave it this way the disk count has to be reduced to 20 and the values have to be changed that way

Edited by IG-88

7 hours ago, grodzuik said:

So I enabled the 6 sata ports on the MB and rebooted. USB still is listed as a HD.

I had some strange results editing the hex settings but what I found seemed to work was to 'pad out' with 0's the values so the string length of the hex values were all the same and also ensure that no values > 0 appeared at the same character position in the strings. Taking @IG-88 example and altering to;

esataportcfg=0x000000000
usbportcfg=0x‭7FC000000‬
internalportcfg=‭0x0003FFFFF‬

I think somehow this tell the system that there are no 'overlaps' in the configuration when it reads the various drive types

So I've gotten it to the point that the USB drive is no longer visible as a HD and have 12 HD showing up in storage manager.

I was also looking at my MB bios and found where to disable the onboard sata ports, but strange thing I realized was that the bios

setting is only disabling the 2 x SATA3 ports and leaving the 4 x SATA2 ports active.

Thanks for the suggestion sbv3000 about padding. It makes sense to me.

Screen Shot 2017-11-16 at 3.14.40 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-11-16 at 3.15.00 PM.png

13 hours ago, grodzuik said:

So I've gotten it to the point that the USB drive is no longer visible as a HD and have 12 HD showing up in storage manager.

I was also looking at my MB bios and found where to disable the onboard sata ports, but strange thing I realized was that the bios

setting is only disabling the 2 x SATA3 ports and leaving the 4 x SATA2 ports active.

Thanks for the suggestion sbv3000 about padding. It makes sense to me.

Screen Shot 2017-11-16 at 3.14.40 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-11-16 at 3.15.00 PM.png

if you can find where to disable the other 4 on board sata ports that would be 'neater' as it would mean no need to edit synoinfo.conf (which can be overwritten with some updates causing a volume/raid crash).

• 3 years later...
  • 2 months later...

@IG-88 I am running my Xpenology on my old macbook pro 2015 model. I have 2 hard drive raid enclosures via usb.

1 enclosure has 2 hardware Raid 1's set up with 4 drives (Raid 1 of 2 drives and another Raid 1 of 2 drives (if needed i can make these all single drives for synology to do the raid)). Another enclosure has 5 drives (no Raid here/single drives). I'm trying to have all usb's as internal storage within synology. I've tried the 16 maxdisk values you had above but only one of the hdds shows as internal and the rest (4 drives + 2 Drives (hardware raid)) are showing up as usb external. Would you by any chance know what values I would set for below. Also there is a internal ssd in the macbook pro which is being read as an internal storage which is fine. I'm just trying to get the 9 usb's to show up as HDDs internal storage.

maxdisks=16

esataportcfg=0x0
usbportcfg=0xf0000
internalportcfg=0xffff

Edited by ot_2173

• 1 year later...

I just played about, and the most I managed to get the system to boot and see is 128 disks. Tried doubling up to 256, it crashed it. I have run out of time to try 128+ but less than 256. Oh and the settings for 128 are on dsm6.1 3615xs

maxdisks=128

esataportcfg=0xff00000000000000000000000000000000
usbportcfg=0x30000000000000000000000000000000000

internalportcfg=0xffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

(that`s 32x `f` BTW) And please note, I have ONLY tried internalportcfg settings, the USB and esata were both set to 0x0. And I pulled out my drive controller to test this, hence why I have a crashed volume 1537137822_WhatsAppImage2022-05-16at13_51_53.thumb.jpeg.274eda2e8215f45a4494f5ccb510e1df.jpeg

Edited by Nads