XPEnology Community

Excuse me, can the next version support hyper-v?

zhenfu

Because the new version does not support hyper-v, I'm still using version 5.2, hyper-v WINDOWS system than wmware stable, and supports hard disk straight through, the network speed can reach Gigabit, these are VMWARE can not do, hope Hyper-v is supported in the next release.

Hi zhenfu,

I'd love to have DSM working on Hyper-V too.

But, as I understand it, the Hyper-V drivers are now installed/used at the kernel level, so you'd need a modified DSM kernel for it to work on Hyper-V

Which is why DSM 6 and above don't work on Hyper-V.  :(

at least the "real" hyper-v driver do not work (paravirtual) but some people had it at least getting to start but without network support there was not much to do, hyper-v does support a old 100Mbit DEC nic for old compatibility reasons, i plan to build this driver for my next extra.lzma so it might be possible to play a littel with it, from the spec's hyper-v supports up to 4xDEC 2114 but in the best case thats jus 4 x 10 MByte/s ...

I know that the kernel does not support Hyper-V, before I tried to add NIC driver into it, but still not. Later, according to the tutorial here to add the kernel and all related Hyper-V driver to recompile, but still not , and finally only give up, I hope capable people can do it.

bad luck, the DEC Tulip DC211x driver is not a simple kernel module it needs a fixed kernel option "DEC - Tulip devices" that is not active in the default kernel config provided by synology so its to expect that the option is not active in the kernel provided by synology with DSM

so no new driver for using hyper-v

juns hack is kind of minimal invasive, the protection is tricked so it does not recognise the different/additional drivers and the fact that its on a non synology hardware

if you want to build a complete new kernel then i guess you will have to remove every peace of the protection, what will be much harder

and i would asume there might be closed source parts of dsm that will prevent this

i guess we will see more of this stuff in the next dsm release in q2/2018 and if the way in we are using now is blocked, driver will be signed maybe and kerner/drivers in every plattform/modell dsm file might be limmeted to whats absolutly needed then even if you can install it an a different hardware, there will be a lot of hardware excluded and wizh no aditional drivers availibe (signed) then the way for xpenology might go in the direction of a new kernel, who knows

until now we have seen only jun's loader/hack, no loader with a new/custom kernel, so i would count on any change in the next time, the current loader works for most people, the "presure" for something new is'nt there

just to make shure, thats just my personal opinion on the matter

Edited by IG-88

• 4 months later...
On 8-11-2017 at 5:17 PM, IG-88 said:

at least the "real" hyper-v driver do not work (paravirtual) but some people had it at least getting to start but without network support there was not much to do, hyper-v does support a old 100Mbit DEC nic for old compatibility reasons, i plan to build this driver for my next extra.lzma so it might be possible to play a littel with it, from the spec's hyper-v supports up to 4xDEC 2114 but in the best case thats jus 4 x 10 MByte/s ...

If it's just the NIC driver that is the problem, why not use passthrough with a supported NIC?

• 2 months later...