XPEnology Community

1.02b stopped booting

MarcHT91

Question

Hi, after a few months using penology, a really strange thing happened, now the 1.02b refuses to boot at all, I can't even get any info through the console output. (bare metal vaster 230 install).

Everything stops after I select the bare metal boot option on grub. 

The computer is fine, I booted GParted and everything shows fine, also with the 1.01 boot loader also works fine...

Any clue on what can happen? 

I took hdd out, formatted them, everything is wiped clean. Tried different usb sticks...

Thank you!

16 answers to this question

1 hour ago, MarcHT91 said:

Hi, after a few months using penology, a really strange thing happened, now the 1.02b refuses to boot at all, I can't even get any info through the console output. (bare metal vaster 230 install).

Everything stops after I select the bare metal boot option on grub. 

The computer is fine, I booted GParted and everything shows fine, also with the 1.01 boot loader also works fine...

Any clue on what can happen? 

I took hdd out, formatted them, everything is wiped clean. Tried different usb sticks...

Thank you!

check the bios boot settings and the uefi v normal boot mode, see if one may work. also try other usb ports (not usb3)

36 minutes ago, sbv3000 said:

check the bios boot settings and the uefi v normal boot mode, see if one may work. also try other usb ports (not usb3)

Sorry I forgot to mention that, I already tried different USB ports and my pc doesn boots uefi. Its weird that 1.01 boots with serial output and 1.02b not...

2 hours ago, MarcHT91 said:

Sorry I forgot to mention that, I already tried different USB ports and my pc doesn boots uefi. Its weird that 1.01 boots with serial output and 1.02b not...

try;

your 1.02b boot drive in another PC, just to check its ok

a bios reset to defaults

disabling all on board devices (serial/parallel/sound/nic), see if it boots then re-enable one by one (or just the nic/serial)

emulation modes for the usb boot option (auto/floppy/hdd) and play around with them

booting with no hdd attached

maybe it's

10 hours ago, MarcHT91 said:

(bare metal vaster 230 install).

hard to guess what hardware this might be, a dell vostro 230? or something else?

kind of stange that other usb drives/images work, maybe reload 1..02b from internet just to be shure its nothing wrong with the image you copy to usb

how much is to be seen on the monitor output? nothing at all or does the grub selection appear?

38 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

maybe it's

hard to guess what hardware this might be, a dell vostro 230? or something else?

kind of stange that other usb drives/images work, maybe reload 1..02b from internet just to be shure its nothing wrong with the image you copy to usb

how much is to be seen on the monitor output? nothing at all or does the grub selection appear?

Sorry again. I’ve just realised how bad I wrote the first message...

It boots fine, shows grub and as soon as you pick any option it shows the text on the screen (this screen will stop soon, blablabla) as normal but anything through the serial console, when it used to output everything. 

I’ve been using the same usb on the same computer for a while, thats why I don’t understand whats happening. I’ll take the last drive I added (not initialised yet) and try again everything. So far, I don’t understand why 1.01 works and 1.02b not...

so your system is 'booting' but freezing somehow during the remainder of the 'xpe loader'. Hard to diagnose as the serial output isnt showing, but maybe thats an indication that the loader files are corrupted so trying a 'clean version' from the internet as suggested by @IG-88 is a good start

also try my earlier suggestions 

Maybe coincidence, but same thing happened couple days ago to me - xpenology stopped working on my HP Gen 8, all symptoms as described by thread starer. I can login to HP iLO without a problem, it reports as everything working fine. In my router I see only iLO IP assignment from my HP, no assignments to other two lan ports on HP.

Have no idea how to troubleshoot further.

2 hours ago, Giedrius said:

Have no idea how to troubleshoot further.

did you do all the things sbv3000 and I wrote about?

different usb stick, checking boot of usb stick in different hardware, fresh loader image, ram test

8 minutes ago, Giedrius said:

Somehow I fell that some update brought it down, one more thread with similar symptoms: 

the content of the usb stick is not changed during dsm updates, if the update of dsm screws the system you still should find the system in network as the kernel and (network) driver come from the usb stick and even if, replacing the usb stick with a freshly made one from a downloaded jun loader image should work, its the same you didi when you started without dsm installed, just the loader and dsm not running

Edited by IG-88

I found recently that a DSM update could update the boot loader ;

But that might just be my scenario and would be worth checking by another forum member (@IG-88?), and maybe that could change the default or enhanced drivers too (it didnt in my case) however if both these OPs used a fresh boot image that should at least get their system back booting and visible

Actually no. The Bootloader DOES get updated when a DSM update (major update usually) happens and more specifically the zImage. It's normal. That's why when an update fails and the reason is because the loader does not support the update, it is fundamental to use a fresh image.

As for the OP question I suggest doing a complete new install. Format everything. Reset Bios. Make sure hardware is working properly. Then try again.

19 hours ago, Polanskiman said:

As for the OP question I suggest doing a complete new install. Format everything. Reset Bios. Make sure hardware is working properly. Then try again.

I don’t understand what happened, but it works again. I already tried to reset the bios and flash again the image with no luck. Yesterday I used the 916+ image with no success (kernel panic) and just after this, the 3615xs worked again with the same drive...

Everything working fine again, with the last update.

thanks to all!

On 11/10/2017 at 11:18 AM, sbv3000 said:

I found recently that a DSM update could update the boot loader ;

But that might just be my scenario and would be worth checking by another forum member (@IG-88?), and maybe that could change the default or enhanced drivers too (it didnt in my case) however if both these OPs used a fresh boot image that should at least get their system back booting and visible

so i was wrong (again), commented on your post and made a suggestion  (untested) what to try when restoring a usb flash drive for system that already had updates, if that does not work then installing a newer version then installed (update/upgrade dsm) should do the trick i guess, dont know if reinstalling (same update level)  is offered by synology assistant, needs testing (wanted to do drivers this weekend so i will not do this testing for now)