sbv3000

Installation FAQ

1 - Where can I download the boot loaders from?

Boot loaders, both current and previous versions can be found here:

2 - Is there any tutorial on how to install DSM on baremetal?

See tutorial available here:

3 - How can I use SHR in DSM6?

SHR can be re-enabled by editing the 'synoinfo.conf' file, located in '/etc.defaults/'
Comment out (or delete) the line:

supportraidgroup="yes"

and add:

support_syno_hybrid_raid ="yes"

4 - How many drives can I use?

Community members have tried systems with up to 24 drives that are stable. There is a physical limit of 26 drives due to limitations in drive addressing in Linux

5 - Can I boot from an HDD not USB

No, booting from USB is the recommended/supported configuration

6 - Do I need a serial port connection

A serial port is required to see extended boot information/driver loading and errors, to carry out diagnostics, but not needed for normal use

7 - After the Grub boot menu, my monitor shows a message 'booting from kernel' and nothing else - whats wrong?

This is normal for XPE 6 boot loader - connect a serial port to see more diagnostics or use Synology Assistant to connect to the NAS

8 - Do I need a keyboard and monitor attached all the time?

A keyboard and monitor is useful for initial setup to choose the grub boot menu option and check initial boot loading, after than the they are not required.

9 - How should I set DSM automatic updates?

DSM automatic updates should be disabled in Control Panel > Update & Restore to avoid bricking your box if an update is not compatible with the loader. ALWAYS check the forum before applying an update manually.

10 - What MAC address should I use in the grub configuration settings?

It is recommended but not a requirement to set the grub configuration MAC address to be the same as the installed network adapter. You can check your NIC's MAC address by either looking at the BIOS or launching a live OS such Ubuntu.

11 - The HDD slot numbers in Storage Manager do not match the ports on my disk controller - why?

Storage Manager determines drive numbers based on the enumeration of controllers at a bus/slot level, which cannot be changed. Manually recording disk slots/serial numbers/controller ports is a recommended workaround.