XPEnology Community

Xpenology under Proxmox - Dont see new disks

Ponury_Typ

HI,

So i am running for a long time my xpenology under proxmox. Its vm with 2 dell H310 (flashed to it mode) (both are connected to server sas backplate, one got 8 slots another got 4) via vt-d. Today when i wanted to add new 3x3TB drives xpenology stopped to see any new drives.

obraz.png.3426f45e7fabdca59599c26f675c5ab2.png

My SataPortMap is 0084 (with 00 i tried to remove 2 "empty" slots at begging with those 00 - didn't work).  Any tips how to solve this issue?

Edited by Ponury_Typ

Its my understanding that the sataportmap is not to map the drives by storage manager slots, but the ports on the controllers

for example, 4 ports on-board and 8 ports on a controller would be 48

If you have on-board sata enabled it might be a conflict too, disable them, you might be exceeding the 12 drive default config

Also the order could be 48 or 84 depending on how the controllers are enumerated in the pci/system bus

I would also do a manual check of the drive serial numbers/slots shown in Storage Manager to how those drives are connected to the controllers to map out which is which - for example 'controller 1 channel 4' might be DSM disk 1. Thats good for diagnostics and drive swapping.

Also, check bios for irq conflicts and sharing, disable any unnecessary devices to free up resources if necessary.

Well since its a VM i got full control over that. There are no sata ports on motherboard since it is VM. Cards are connected to sas backplane and are mounted to this nas vm so i got full contorl whitch card is pci0 and with pci2. Same goes with drives. That is why 84 should be correct setup. But for some reasons xpenology acts like he is not seeing 2nd card with 4 disks connected to it. Maybe i need to edit something in grub.cfg in order to use 2 pci cards ?

1 hour ago, Ponury_Typ said:

Well since its a VM i got full control over that. There are no sata ports on motherboard since it is VM. Cards are connected to sas backplane and are mounted to this nas vm so i got full contorl whitch card is pci0 and with pci2. Same goes with drives. That is why 84 should be correct setup. But for some reasons xpenology acts like he is not seeing 2nd card with 4 disks connected to it. Maybe i need to edit something in grub.cfg in order to use 2 pci cards ?

i'm not aware of any grub settings for controllers except the sataportmap. Probably a silly suggestion but can you create another XPE/DSM machine with the 4 port controller and see the drives? (a way of checking that there is not an issue in proxmox). Also its strange that you system is showing drives 1 and 2 empty, I'd have expected drive 1 to be channel 1 on the controller (why I suggested tracing out manually the disk layout). Two empty slots points to XPE/DSM finding some other controller in the setup and allocating slots to that. Something you could try is editing the synoinfo.conf for supporting say 16 or 20 drives, and see if the other controller/drives appear in higher number slots than 12.