XPEnology Community

Up and running for over a year then "Syslinux 6.03 EDD Boot Error"

I've been running DSM_5.2-5644 for over a year. I didn't notice anything unusual before it failed to boot, error Syslinux 6.03 EDDBoot error. I went into the BIOS and verified that the USB stick is the first boot device, and I tried different HDD as the second boot device, but that didn't change the error. I'm guessing I have to reinstall XPEnology again. I searched the forum but didn't see anything about boot errors after XPEnology is up and running, just during the install phase. Thanks to the community for years of successful XPEnology fun! As always, any help / advice is very much appreciated. 

EDIT: sorry I didn't realize my hardware info isn't in my signature: 

Samsung 16GB BAR USB 3.0 Flash Drive (MUF-16BA/AM)

ASRock N3150DC-ITX

last update: 

DSM_5.2-5644 Update-5

boot error.jpg

Edited by old
add hardware info

14 minutes ago, sbv3000 said:

It looks like your flash drive is corrupted somehow so as a first step source a new one and image it with the 5.2.5644 loader. You might need to check the bios to set the new flash drive as the first boot device

Ah, thanks! Do you think i can image a newer version of DSM on the new flash drive?

unless you want to risk upgrading before you have checked the system is ok on the current version I would stick with 5.2.5644.

When you are happy that everything is ok, then have a look at the upgrade tutorials for 6.0.2 and 6.1 to work out which is best for your setup. If you decide to upgrade, test your hardware first and backup data 

• Like 1

I finally had some time to follow sbv3000's suggestions - I wanted to report back that that did the trick and I'm up and running, just as good as before the server went down. Thank You So Much for Saving Me So Much Drama! I'm so happy that my server is back up! YAY!!! Again, Thank You sbv3000!

Oh, I should also mention for anyone experiencing the same problem; I transferred my "syslinux.cfg" file over from the old (bad) usb stick so my configuration file remained intact and all my settings were still there when I booted up. I was surprised that I could read my XPEnology usb on my Mac computer. 

Edited by old

3 hours ago, old said:

I finally had some time to follow sbv3000's suggestions - I wanted to report back that that did the trick and I'm up and running, just as good as before the server went down. Thank You So Much for Saving Me So Much Drama! I'm so happy that my server is back up! YAY!!! Again, Thank You sbv3000!

Oh, I should also mention for anyone experiencing the same problem; I transferred my "syslinux.cfg" file over from the old (bad) usb stick so my configuration file remained intact and all my settings were still there when I booted up. I was surprised that I could read my XPEnology usb on my Mac computer. 

Thats good to hear and you are welcome

10 hours ago, old said:

I wanted to report back that that did the trick and I'm up and running, just as good as before the server went down. Thank You So Much for Saving Me So Much Drama!

there is also plan b,c,...

b) boot from a disk with open media vault  on it, that should detect the mdadm and lvm volumes that where created by DSM (they are just cooking with water, it's still linux under the hood) and in no time you will be able to use you data over network again (omv also has a nice web gui)

c) boot a recovery/live linux

Edited by IG-88
  • Like 1