Create VPN for remote network access?


Recommended Posts

Hi everyone. I was wondering if the VPN feature of an Xpenology system would allow me to create a VPN (OpenVPN) to connect to my network when away from home - granting me access to my network resources rather than just the device itself. I did this with Apple's MacOS Server app but it doesn't offer OpenVPN so I decommissioned it once L2TP starting becoming questionable. Thanks.

Edited by tinfoilhat
Link to post
Share on other sites

Routing to your local lan should work using a vpn package.

I use that through my real DS box to remote desktop to internal computers.

you will need to setup the necessary port forwarding for the service on your router and the vpn service user permissions on the nas

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, sbv3000 said:

Routing to your local lan should work using a vpn package.

I use that through my real DS box to remote desktop to internal computers.

you will need to setup the necessary port forwarding for the service on your router and the vpn service user permissions on the nas

 

Sweet! :) I'll give it a try and report back. Cheers.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes this does work. You need the VPN Server package and create a Server.

There is only a small issue, if you're using OpenVPN on a Computer/network which already has certain IPs i.e 192.168.1.2 and you try to connect to your PC on the home network with IP 192.168.1.2 you will only connect to the Local PC and not the one on your Home Network.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, haldi said:

Yes this does work. You need the VPN Server package and create a Server.

There is only a small issue, if you're using OpenVPN on a Computer/network which already has certain IPs i.e 192.168.1.2 and you try to connect to your PC on the home network with IP 192.168.1.2 you will only connect to the Local PC and not the one on your Home Network.

When setting up the VPN server its a good idea to set the IP DHCP range to one of the less used private ranges eg 172.21.x.x, that way you are unlikely to clash with the 'popular' 192.168.x.x ones

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, sbv3000 said:

When setting up the VPN server its a good idea to set the IP DHCP range to one of the less used private ranges eg 172.21.x.x, that way you are unlikely to clash with the 'popular' 192.168.x.x ones

172.16.x.x would be correct private range in this class.

Most SOHO routers have default range set for 192.168.0.x, 192.168.1.x, and 192.168.100.x

Using for VPN server something other than default range, like 192.168.15.x is usually a safe bet.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.