XPEnology Community

Create VPN for remote network access?

tinfoilhat

Hi everyone. I was wondering if the VPN feature of an Xpenology system would allow me to create a VPN (OpenVPN) to connect to my network when away from home - granting me access to my network resources rather than just the device itself. I did this with Apple's MacOS Server app but it doesn't offer OpenVPN so I decommissioned it once L2TP starting becoming questionable. Thanks.

Edited by tinfoilhat

4 hours ago, sbv3000 said:

Routing to your local lan should work using a vpn package.

I use that through my real DS box to remote desktop to internal computers.

you will need to setup the necessary port forwarding for the service on your router and the vpn service user permissions on the nas

Sweet! :) I'll give it a try and report back. Cheers.

Yes this does work. You need the VPN Server package and create a Server.

There is only a small issue, if you're using OpenVPN on a Computer/network which already has certain IPs i.e 192.168.1.2 and you try to connect to your PC on the home network with IP 192.168.1.2 you will only connect to the Local PC and not the one on your Home Network.

4 hours ago, haldi said:

Yes this does work. You need the VPN Server package and create a Server.

There is only a small issue, if you're using OpenVPN on a Computer/network which already has certain IPs i.e 192.168.1.2 and you try to connect to your PC on the home network with IP 192.168.1.2 you will only connect to the Local PC and not the one on your Home Network.

When setting up the VPN server its a good idea to set the IP DHCP range to one of the less used private ranges eg 172.21.x.x, that way you are unlikely to clash with the 'popular' 192.168.x.x ones

17 hours ago, sbv3000 said:

When setting up the VPN server its a good idea to set the IP DHCP range to one of the less used private ranges eg 172.21.x.x, that way you are unlikely to clash with the 'popular' 192.168.x.x ones

172.16.x.x would be correct private range in this class.

Most SOHO routers have default range set for 192.168.0.x, 192.168.1.x, and 192.168.100.x

Using for VPN server something other than default range, like 192.168.15.x is usually a safe bet.

• 1 month later...