XPEnology Community

NAS present but not working, help

SteinerKD

Question

Well after a long while testing and running virtual Xpenology I took the plunge and sacrificed a computer for a bare metal install. 
All was well, built some RAIDs and moved all my files over (14TB of data) and it was working well.
Today after changing my router I got "Sorry, the page you are looking for is not found." and neither Assistant or "findmysynology" find any NAS on my LAN (it does show up as connected device in router, in "networks" in windows and I can ssh to it though.
Thinking it was a firewall problem or similar I switched back to my old router, but no go
Another thing I tried was connecting a single HD from one of the test NAS and that one boots fine and become accessible so the hardware side of things seems to be working.

Any ideas of advice, is this fixable? (Or have I lost ALL my data?)

11 answers to this question

I've now connected up all drives but booting from the old NAS install. All raid volumes shows up and it looks like the files are all there. In the SSD/HDD section all drives (except the old boot one) says "Systems partition failed, normal", is this a good or a bad sign?
Could a sys partition repair and then reboot without the old drive work?

if you repair with the old/single drive booted up it will overwrite the system/dsm parttions on all the oter drives and that system will be the on thats booting then

when you had ssh access to the device and it had a ip address it sound much like dsm protection might have kickt in and disabled most services

afair that happen after 24 or 48 h and was not permanent, after a reboot the system seemd to work again, did not occour an 3615 afair

• Like 1

Not sure what happened, for a while there my computer wouldn't boot at all (I first got the "the page you are looking for" but all drives where still available, when I rebooted the system I ended up with the unbootable machine), got stuck with a 99 code, had no USB and couldn't enter BIOS. Had to rip everything out and do dozens of cmos resets etc. In the end I had to connect an old drive to an internal SATA port and that got me into bios so I could configure a bootable system. Naturally that still didn't help as now the system partitions were ruined. As you said I booted with the old drive and repaired with that drive and then removed it (Think I better keep it around in case something like this happens again).
Things seems to be working now and most of the settings and the version of DSM was the same so probably no big harm done, but it was a REAL scare!
Not sure if the LSI 9207 was the culprit or if it was something else? (happened while I was installing and configing a new router).

1 hour ago, Dfds said:

@SteinerKD Did you change broadband suppliers or just the router? I seen issues before when the new router has a different IP addressing range to what the NAS was on previously causing issues.

Just changed router, from an old Netgear Wndr3700 to a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite. Not sure what could have spiked so badly that my computer went into total lockdown. Still think the HBA card might have been the culprit.

it to late now but as you still had ssh after the crash you could have checked the logs

as you now have overwritten the old system (/dev/md0) from the older spare disk there is no information about the crash left

i dont think that the controller did it, as the webserver is a service running on /dev/md0 (dsm system partione) in the same way as ssh does, and ssh was still working ...

6 hours ago, IG-88 said:

it to late now but as you still had ssh after the crash you could have checked the logs

as you now have overwritten the old system (/dev/md0) from the older spare disk there is no information about the crash left

i dont think that the controller did it, as the webserver is a service running on /dev/md0 (dsm system partione) in the same way as ssh does, and ssh was still working ...

Well, hopefully I won't have to experience this again so it won't be a problem, but next time I will avoid rebooting if it seems to be working. What worries me though was the total way the computer locked up, refusing to boot, loosing all USB, failing to initialize etc. Something serious must have happened, but was the hardware causing it, or the software?

I've now also realized I installed using the "wrong bootloader" (1.02a2). Is there any way I can "start over" without loosing ANY of the files on my two raids on the current NAS (loosing users and such is OK, I can set that up again quickly enough as long as all the files and folders remain) using the newest bootloader (1.02b)?

@IG-88 You seems to be the guru here, so I hope you can give me some of your usual good advice and bear with my noobness :)

no i'm not a guru, not even that good with linux (thats just hobby useage)

in this case we alredy had this in may(?) as 1.02b came out
you just copy your old grub.cfg (vid/pid, sn, mac's) and write 1.02b to your usb flash drive
(grub.cfg edit as in howto with the "old" values)
on first boot it does not work, start synology assistent and it will offer to repair, that takes a few seconds and an next boot everything is back to normal with 1.02b booting

you can also search the forum, some people wrote about it (i also did this)

Edited by IG-88
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, SteinerKD said:

I've now also realized I installed using the "wrong bootloader" (1.02a2). Is there any way I can "start over" without loosing ANY of the files on my two raids on the current NAS (loosing users and such is OK, I can set that up again quickly enough as long as all the files and folders remain) using the newest bootloader (1.02b)?

@IG-88 You seems to be the guru here, so I hope you can give me some of your usual good advice and bear with my noobness :)

create a new flash drive with the version of xpe/dsm that you were using on the original bare metal setup and boot with that. you should find the nas as 'migratable', follow the migration steps and install the matching DSM and in theory everything should be fine.

You could also use the 1.02b loader (with matching DSM) and the migration should also work the same.  if you choose clean migration you will lose users etc. there is no guarantee against data loss, unless you have a backup (maybe the data is still on the VM drives?)