XPEnology Community

Idiots guide to DSM, questions

GaryM

I have set up an ESXi 5.1 VM. When I boot the VM the Linux session boots through to the log in prompt. One thing that the "Guide" doesn't answer is, what is the log in name and password that works? Without that what can one do? It might be nice also if the guide mentioned, how to get "Synology Assistant started, after all this is supposed to be an Idiots guide to DSM not just ESXi. This is a good guide over all but it can be even better by filling in the missing pieces so that a real Idiot can succeed. There must not be any real idiots doing this since I haven't found these questions being asked, except now.

Thanks for all the work done and any answers provided.

Thanks for this reply as to why I don't need a login and password. Now for the other part, Install synology assistant, where? into what?

What I had done was to download everything I needed before I knew how things fit together. Since the ESXi VM is Linux etc., I must have needed the Linux version of Synology Assistant, right? That mean't I would have to login to the linux session once booted. Now that I know what does what, I have downloaded the windows version of Synology Assistant and yes it shows my Diskstation. For now, I am now on the right track, and thanks again.

>What I had done was to download everything I needed before I knew how things fit together

so did you download the synology assistant? it should be installed under a windows pc. Available in synology download site.

Just connect to the discovered DMS station and you are good to install the PAT file.

Yes I downloaded and ran the Synology Assistant for windows. It showed me my Diskstation. When I selected install, I was greeted with an error 38 and an invitation to contact Synology Tech support. A quick search of this forum showed that a code 38 is common and hardware related. I tried a virtual hard drive as recommend and then passed through a LSI 1068e HBA both of which failed.

I wanted to try out the Synology system because a couple of years ago I was thinking of buying one of their NAS units, until I saw the price. I new that I could build a far better hardware system from server quality components than what they supplied for about the same price. That's what I did. I have since found that the most secure file system that I could use was ZFS, especially since I was about to try every available operating system that works with ZFS. I am able to, and have taken all of my disks of data and moved them as I pleased to any number of computers that run ZFS and did not lose anything. Try that with RAID. The only thing that I really thought would be good to try with DSM was the ability to expand the disk pool as existing HD space was used up. Can't do that with ZFS. Going to Synology's web site I see that they say this can be done, but do not recommend doing so. There goes the best feature of SHR. Now one is running RAID with all its risks, especially Raid 5. By the way, for those running ESXi VM's, RDM's work very well but compared to hot swapping hard drives, it sucks!

This has been fun, it's part of the hobby. What I had finally settled on, about 6 months ago, as far as an operating system goes is OmniOS with napp-it as the NAS GUI running in a VM on an ESXi 5.1 host. It's all free and reliable, my data has value to me and is as secure as I can make it.

So enjoy the computer hobby, learn and have fun and thanks for your help.

Kinda busy atm but I had a quick look and sorry if this is no help at all but i'm pretty sure that ones because you are installing over the boot drive?

To do this for virtualbox install I had to...

write the boot img file to a usb drive and pass that physical drive through as a vmdk (raw img)

boot from that vmdk (which is booting using your usb drive)

once ready to install remove the usb boot drive and start the install

when synology assistant says restarting with like 220 seconds you plug the boot drive back in and it should reboot and use the usb drive to start normally

once you have it all installed remove the virtual/physical drive and replace it with the original boot hdd img

if you install while the boot drive is mounted then it writes over the drive and destroys the boot files.

you may be able to just unmount the boot img on vmware before you install and then once done remount it, I havent looked at dsm stuff for awhile but if you are booting up and seeing diskstation login on the console screen I'm pretty sure thats the fix.

Yes I downloaded and ran the Synology Assistant for windows. It showed me my Diskstation. When I selected install, I was greeted with an error 38 and an invitation to contact Synology Tech support. A quick search of this forum showed that a code 38 is common and hardware related. I tried a virtual hard drive as recommend and then passed through a LSI 1068e HBA both of which failed.

I wanted to try out the Synology system because a couple of years ago I was thinking of buying one of their NAS units, until I saw the price. I new that I could build a far better hardware system from server quality components than what they supplied for about the same price. That's what I did. I have since found that the most secure file system that I could use was ZFS, especially since I was about to try every available operating system that works with ZFS. I am able to, and have taken all of my disks of data and moved them as I pleased to any number of computers that run ZFS and did not lose anything. Try that with RAID. The only thing that I really thought would be good to try with DSM was the ability to expand the disk pool as existing HD space was used up. Can't do that with ZFS. Going to Synology's web site I see that they say this can be done, but do not recommend doing so. There goes the best feature of SHR. Now one is running RAID with all its risks, especially Raid 5. By the way, for those running ESXi VM's, RDM's work very well but compared to hot swapping hard drives, it sucks!

This has been fun, it's part of the hobby. What I had finally settled on, about 6 months ago, as far as an operating system goes is OmniOS with napp-it as the NAS GUI running in a VM on an ESXi 5.1 host. It's all free and reliable, my data has value to me and is as secure as I can make it.

So enjoy the computer hobby, learn and have fun and thanks for your help.

Sorry that I didnt gone through you complete story.

But I am on the same config and did make it work.

error 38 means the DSM cannot find your hdd.. just that simple.

you need a boot vmdk (that you cannot install anything on it).

And afterward, you need to put some other disk for it to install.

I did experience the same problem of having error 38. I must say that the vmdk is not as good as the ova template package available here. you may try that one first.

That is a template ova contains a 0.3MB grub boot partition and a data vmdk. The DSM system is already installed as well.