XPEnology Community

DSM in routing mode

Andrey

Question

4 answers to this question

DSM is not really designed for acting as a firewall/router. Its primary function is a file storage server with some addons related to file manipulations.

There is different Synology product that is made to be router from the start. Like this https://www.synology.com/en-us/products/RT2600ac It uses different OS.
There were attempts to add those features to the standard DSM discussed here,

As a workaround you can try lightweight software router running in the virtual machine.

Depending on your goals, there is also selection of more general custom Linux distributions that act as a universal office servers with gateway/firewall capability. SMEserver is one of the examples.

15 hours ago, XPEH said:

DSM is not really designed for acting as a firewall/router. Its primary function is a file storage server with some addons related to file manipulations.

There is different Synology product that is made to be router from the start. Like this https://www.synology.com/en-us/products/RT2600ac It uses different OS.
There were attempts to add those features to the standard DSM discussed here,

As a workaround you can try lightweight software router running in the virtual machine.

Depending on your goals, there is also selection of more general custom Linux distributions that act as a universal office servers with gateway/firewall capability. SMEserver is one of the examples.

Yes, I've seen that "guide" and it's completely screwed. 1 point, then 3 out of at least 5 points, pictures are mixed, a script is mentioned but is not there. I asked the forum to repair the post, but nobody answered. But yes, you're right, DSM is not for routing.

On 10/31/2017 at 7:40 PM, Andrey said:

Yes, I've seen that "guide" and it's completely screwed. 1 point, then 3 out of at least 5 points, pictures are mixed, a script is mentioned but is not there. I asked the forum to repair the post, but nobody answered. But yes, you're right, DSM is not for routing.

That's because the guide is pretty old and something must have gone wrong during the conversion to the new platform. In any case only the originator of the OP could update the OP and he hasn't been posting in the forum for many years. You can try reaching out to him see if he answers.

On 11/2/2017 at 4:58 AM, Polanskiman said:

That's because the guide is pretty old and something must have gone wrong during the conversion to the new platform. In any case only the originator of the OP could update the OP and he hasn't been posting in the forum for many years. You can try reaching out to him see if he answers.

Then again, maybe its posible to make a bootloader for SRM just like DSM

It wouldnt surprise me that with few adjustments @jun is able to make his bootloader suitable.

The pat files are also downloadable

https://global.download.synology.com/download/SRM/release/1.1.5/6542/SRM_RT2600ac_6542.pat

Edited by emkookmer