XPEnology Community

Is there a easy way to clone a HDD?

j3390659

Question

I want to move the content of my SATA0 hdd to a new and bigger hdd.

Is there an easy way to do it?  Are cloning (which software to use?) and gparted the way to go?  I tried the hyper backup but it doesn't seem to allow me to restore to a different hdd.

My SATA0 is only 300GB and running out of space.  I am using baremetal and running 6.1.3 update 8.

Thanks.

11 answers to this question

9 hours ago, XPEH said:

You can connect second drive and create a RAID1 (Mirror). After sync is finished, remove the first smaller drive and expand the volume. Alternatively, full backup, including configuration. Rebuild with larger drive and restore.

Thanks.  I am a newbie at this.  How do I expand the volume after sync?  Can I do this in the DSM?

2 minutes ago, j3390659 said:

Thanks.  I am a newbie at this.  How do I expand the volume after sync?  Can I do this in the DSM?

Yes. Options in Volume Manager inside standard Storage Manager in DSM will be available. Now its Greyed out since no operation possible.

also a option is to boot system with a live or recovery linux and use dd to clone the disk

google for "dd clone disk" and you will find things like this

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/disk_cloning

after cloning remove old disk, put new disk on sata0 and boot from dsm usb boot stick, that way it will stay a basic volume on one (bigger) disk that can be expanded afterwards

14 hours ago, XPEH said:

create a RAID1 (Mirror). After sync is finished, remove the first smaller drive and expand the volume

are you shure you can undo the raid1 back to basic?

on my raid6 dsm does not offer a downgrade to raid5

29 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

also a option is to boot system with a live or recovery linux and use dd to clone the disk

google for "dd clone disk" and you will find things like this

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/disk_cloning

after cloning remove old disk, put new disk on sata0 and boot from dsm usb boot stick, that way it will stay a basic volume on one (bigger) disk that can be expanded afterwards

are you shure you can undo the raid1 back to basic?

on my raid6 dsm does not offer a downgrade to raid5

I wish I read your reply a bit earlier, I just clicked and expanding my SHR to 1 disk fault tolerance.

If I take out the original and smaller size hdd and leave the newer and larger hdd in SATA0 after sync, will that create problem?

i'm not shure, never tryed to "undo" a raid1 with dsm

let it run, worst thing taht can happen is a "broken" raid1 when you remove the old disk

i expect that dsm will not let you undo the raid1 in that state, in the end you will not loose data as you have it on both disks

getting dsm back in an "normal" working condition might be more difficult and time consuming (if i'm right you will see - i tend to expect the worst, old IT habbit)

i perefer ways i tryed before or i can overlook and predict, maybe XPEH did it this way before and it does work

btw the easyest way "fixing" this condition if the large disk can't be downgraded to basic volume is to buy a 2nd large disk and put it in so you will and up with a raid1 configuration - that waht most people would suggest, just having a basic disk leaves you open to data loss if the one disk fails (also raid does not replaces a backup so think about spending some money for redundancy and backup)

Edited by IG-88

On 10/30/2017 at 2:47 PM, j3390659 said:

I am curious to know if I pull my old and smaller HDD on SATA0 and replace it with the new and bigger HDD with it.

What would happen?  Is it going to create a huge mess?

thats what i was writing before

On 10/29/2017 at 9:53 PM, IG-88 said:

btw the easyest way "fixing" this condition if the large disk can't be downgraded to basic volume is to buy a 2nd large disk and put it in so you will and up with a raid1 configuration