XPEnology Community

My planned NAS - does it work?

roberthartung

I am a huge fan of synology, however they use quite old hardware in their models and SFP+ possibility starts at fairly high prices.

Therefore I plan to build my own NAS. I have two questions:

- The DS3617xs usually only has 12 slots, which is fine for now. However if I need more space I plan to add a HBA and add more HDDs. Is there a software limitation? Or can I add more hard drives than there are physically on the DS3617xs?

- Does XPEnology support XEON E3 v6 processors?

Chassis+PSU: SuperMicro SC826BE1C-R920LPB
Motherboard: SuperMicroX11SSH-F
Processor: Intel Xeon E3-1275 v6
RAM: Kingston Kingston KVR21E15D8K2/16I 16GB 

Total Cost: approx 2000€ 

Any thoughts? E.g. better components, chassis, ..?

On 10/25/2017 at 6:55 PM, roberthartung said:

I am a huge fan of synology, however they use quite old hardware in their models and SFP+ possibility starts at fairly high prices.

as lomg as there is a PCIe slot,you use the same chip for the nic as sysnology does support and it fis mechanicly other cards will work too (kind the same as with xpenology) usualy rhe driver does not care if its SFP+ or 10GBaseT

- The DS3617xs usually only has 12 slots, which is fine for now. However if I need more space I plan to add a HBA and add more HDDs. Is there a software limitation? Or can I add more hard drives than there are physically on the DS3617xs?

the config files can be tweaked to support huge ammounts of disks, test seem to show that its kind of unreliable to use more the 24 disks (sda-sdz)

synology for its own purpuse uses eSATA conncted boxes and this boxes are recognised by vendor id and get special treatment like getting two digit sdXX and are not counted as "internal" disks (this is not supported by xpenology, all disks are internel disks)

but as you cassis only supports 12x3,5" and 2x2,5" its kind of unimportend?

- Does XPEnology support XEON E3 v6 processors?

if you have a high core count then 3617 is your way, but even 3615 will work (as its only for i3 but then it will not use some of the procesort features, it will work even on newer processors)

when it comes to 3rd party plugins there are less for 3617 and even few for 916+ image

btw just for disk juggling you dont need that much horse power, what processor and dsm imgage suits best depends on what the box is used for

(video hardware trancoding is best with 916+ image and processorr supporting intel qsv, 3615 has more plugins and drivers, but is limited in the mount of cpu cores that will be used)

your sata count is just 8 with the board, but as it has 3 pcie slots you can easyly expand sata ports or 10G nic

the hardware is more expansive and company grade, for privat use its possible to get it working for less

(hot plug disks and easy xchange of board/psu are importend for low down time in work enviroement, usualy not for privat use, but if you have the money and like the comfort)

Thanks for the reply! The setup has changed in the meantime. The board to be used is the X11SSL-CF now.

It has 2 SAS ports which I can directly connect to the backplane (single expander). If I want to add more storage, there is an outgoing SAS connector that I can use for more storage to connect another system like this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2-Ports-Mini-SAS-for-Internal-SFF-8087-sas-36P-to-2-Port-External-sas26P-SFF/1561392639.html

I am looking to be able to add more bays later using this, so right now it's not important but later for sure, and 24 disks should be fine ;)

Thanks for pointing me at the thread. I'd also like if there was a Rackstation image with SAS HBA drivers in it.

Anyone interested in a video showing the build?