XPEnology Community

Xpenology NAS Build Review

phatass

Dear all,

First poster here. Exited to get started. :)

I currently run two android Kodi boxes (Shield TV/Wetek Hub) and a Synology NAS (DS214+).

With all the 4k content coming out, the 4tb of my NAS are being squeezed more and more as they days pass by.

Therefore I have decided to upgrade my NAS with a DIY solution running Xpenology.

I am a complete (!) rookie when it comes to these sort of builds so I was hoping you experts would review my component list and give feedback. 

The NAS shall be used for general storage, TV-Shows, Movies, Family Photos, Documents as well as running Download Station, Sonarr, Couchpotato and a SQL server for Kodi.

Here is the list of components:

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/phatass/saved/#view=rzR4CJ

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Pentium G4560 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($78.89 @ B&H) 
Motherboard: ASRock - H270M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($95.39 @ OutletPC) 
Memory: Corsair - 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($44.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Western Digital - Red 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($103.95 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Western Digital - Red 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($103.95 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Western Digital - Red 4TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($133.99 @ B&H) 
Storage: Western Digital - Red 4TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($133.99 @ B&H) 
Case: Fractal Design - Node 304 Mini ITX Tower Case  ($69.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM (2015) 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($26.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1000.03
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-10-25 04:21 EDT-0400

Thanks a lot in advance - looking forward for some feedback!

Should be fine. I assume you've verified that 6 disks fit inside the case, and you want to make sure things stay cool so maybe add an internal fan or two if you can. You are mixing and matching drive sizes and that won't cause a problem but optimally they'll all be the same size (3TB or 4TB) AFAIK (maybe there is a use case I didn't consider for doing this). You might also put 2x4GB RAM in there assuming the mobo has dual channel memory support which will make things run a smidge better AFAIK. There's some debate about 4GB RAM or 8GB RAM, I probably lean towards 8GB. Maybe someone has a good reason for only 4GB I'd be interested in hearing. 

I don't know much about that CPU, I've generally used core ix CPUs which have built in GPUs. Plex added hardware video encoding/decoding, which uses the built-in GPU of the core CPUs. Now my understanding is it's not awesome and may not be worth upgrading your CPU purchase to take advantage of (if that CPU doesn't have an iGPU). But something to consider.

Set the drives in AHCI mode in the BIOS, FYI, when you put it all together. I made the mistake of not doing that and had to rebuild the OS a few times. 

I have a very similar build to this. (G4620, B250 mb, 8GB DDR4, 6 HDDs, Node 304).  It runs great.

I can confirm that the Node 304 case will fit 6 drives and it comes with 2 front fans blowing over the drives and 1 rear fan exhausting, and it keeps the system nice and cool.  The case is very tight with all six drives in it but it does fit.  

The motherboard has a lot of features you won't use as part of a NAS build, but thats a really good price and you won't save any money by going to a lower-spec one.  And you can always reuse it.  I'd also suggest 8gb of RAM.  I think you'll be fine with 4gb and you can always add a stick later. 

I would, however, suggest the highest quality PSU you can find within your budget.  You're doing the right thing going with a modular or semi-modular PSU because there's like zero space to manage the mass of wires a non-modular PSU will give you.  A NAS will be on 24/7 and better PSUs produce less heat/noise and are more reliable.  Yours will probably be fine though

you might consider 6TB or 8TB disks to reach the size you think you need atm, usualy after a year or two you will need more space and with all sata ports used and case limited to 6 disks ...

3 x 8TB (raid5) will be the same size as your choosen disk layout and you can still expand a lot by adding 8TB disks and every additional disks will be usable completly

Hi gents,

Amazing with your comments. Glad to see that my initial idea wasn't completely off.

I'll look into getting an i3 over the Pentium and will consider 8gb ram and bigger HDs as well.

I've found a Gold certified PSU as well. Glad I had that advise. :)

Thanks a bunch.

/Peter

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...