XPEnology Community

Newbie in need of help

Olly_K

Hi all, I've been a long time user of Synology and their NAS range and I love the software.

My issue with Synology is they don't make a product with a decent enough CPU for Plex Transcoding (at least in the consumer market) and whilst QNAP do I find their OS not great to use.

I did some research and built a 8 core 16 thread LGA2011-3 Xeon PC based on an Intel X99 m-ATX motherboard which has 10 SATA 3 ports and coupled it with 32gb ECC RAM on the basis I would use FreeNAS. But again the software is horrible and the community is so arrogant.

Can anyone give me some pointers in setting up XPEnology on my bare metal machine? Linux is not my strong point but I can follow guides OK

I would like to run it under ESXI and have some other VMs like PFSense, etc but not sure I can pass-through the sata controller/individual ports so bare metal is fine as it gives me a chance to build more PCs :)

Also wondering if the intel SATA controller will work on XPEnology? I'll be looking for some form of RAID6 for my 8 3TB drives.

Thanks in advance!

Fellow noob here.  I just got a Dell t30 that came with 8GB ECC and added another 8GB stick.  Put 4 - 3GB WD Reds in there and followed this guide:

It took me a few read-throughs to really "get" it, but I am also totally linux illiterate and had this up and running within 1/2 hour.  BTW I used a sandisk cruzer mini flash drive (32GB for $12 on amazon) - better to use a known brand name for your flash drive than some scrappy junk drive you have laying around.  And this minis sit flush in the port.

Currently running using jun's 1.02b loader as a synology DS3617XS, DSM version 6.1.3-15152 update 8.  Plex is awesome.  Sonarr is flawless running in docker.  Continuing to work on more addons but this is better than any synology product I could have gotten at twice the price (other than better purpose-built hardware options like hot swappable HD trays of course)

15 hours ago, denmalley said:

Fellow noob here.  I just got a Dell t30 that came with 8GB ECC and added another 8GB stick.  Put 4 - 3GB WD Reds in there and followed this guide:

It took me a few read-throughs to really "get" it, but I am also totally linux illiterate and had this up and running within 1/2 hour.  BTW I used a sandisk cruzer mini flash drive (32GB for $12 on amazon) - better to use a known brand name for your flash drive than some scrappy junk drive you have laying around.  And this minis sit flush in the port.

Currently running using jun's 1.02b loader as a synology DS3617XS, DSM version 6.1.3-15152 update 8.  Plex is awesome.  Sonarr is flawless running in docker.  Continuing to work on more addons but this is better than any synology product I could have gotten at twice the price (other than better purpose-built hardware options like hot swappable HD trays of course)

Agreed, I previously bought a DS1515+ and it just wasn't enough for video transcoding despite Synology marketing its 1080p video transcoding capabilities. I'd rather not spend £1.5k+ for a machine I can build for a third of that price.

I'm glad you took the plunge, congrats on things working out for you :)

On 10/24/2017 at 4:44 PM, Olly_K said:

etc but not sure I can pass-through the sata controller/individual ports so bare metal is fine as it gives me a chance to build more PCs

depend on the chipset/cpu if it supports vt-d you can hand over the controller to the vm

other options are mappind the disk as rdm to the vm and creating a vmfs datastore on every disk,"fill" it with one large vmdk and give the vmdk" to the vm to create the raid inside the vm in both cases you will not see smart data from disks as it is possible with vt-d when the controller ist part of the vm

if you install barematal there is also the option to run vm's in the kvm based vmm (plugin) from synology (2nd nic needed to use it)

On 10/24/2017 at 4:44 PM, Olly_K said:

Also wondering if the intel SATA controller will work on XPEnology?

you didi not write much details on your hardware (board, processor, cards)

i'd expect it to work with the normal ahci driver if its chipset based sata, thats usualy 4-6, as you write you have at least 10 then there is something addirional involved i guess