XPEnology Community

Using Jun's Loader 1.02b on Supermicro 825 w/ AOC-USAS2 LSI controller not seeing all drives

BLinux

Hello Xpenology gurus.... I'm relatively new to Xpenology and only just starting to learn more about it. There's a lot of information around here and that's so much appreciated. I was able to successfully experiment with Xpenology as a KVM virtual machine using Jun's loader 1.02b. So, I decided to try it on real hardware; specifically a Supermicro 825, with X8DTU-F + 2x L5640, 128GB RAM, and a AOC-USAS2 controller, which is a LSI SAS2008 based controller, and 8x HGST SAS 3TB drives. Booting this hardware with CentOS-7, I see all the hardware no problem.

However, when I boot Jun's loader 1.02b for DS3617xs with a USB drive, I get the web setup page, but when I try to proceed to do the setup, it only sees 6 of the 8 hard drives. Specifically, it says:

"All data on the hard disk(s) 7 8 9 10 11 12 will be removed during installation. Are you sure you want to proceed?"

If I proceed with the setup, it proceeds as normal and downloads DSM and sets up the 3 partitions on each of the 6 drives. These 6 drives correspond to port 0,1,2,3 and 4,5. The ones that are not seen are in the last 2 ports 6 and 7.

So, for one, I think the mptsas2 driver for the LSI SAS 2008 chipset must be working, since all 8 drives are connected to the same controller. I was reading:

And learned about the SataPortMap parameter and thought maybe that has something to do with it? Not sure, but thought it would be worth a try. Since it is a single controller with 8 ports, I set SataPortMap=8 in the grub.cfg file (there was a line where it was set as SataPortMap=1, and I changed that). Not sure if I'm doing the right thing, nor do I know if this is even related to the issue.

Can anyone please advise? Or, if there's something I missed from reading these forums and elsewhere online, sending me a RTFM with a link would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advanced for any help...

the default config is 12 disks as you have 6 x onboard sata + 8x lsi 2008 it's kind of normal that when you conncect 8 drives to the lsi that 2 drives are "missing" as the last two are over the max of 12

one easy way would be to disable the onboard sata (when not needed)

one other way will be to to connect 6 drives to onboard sata and 2 to lsi

in both cases you will see all drives without changing config files of dsm (in 2nd config you will not be able to user the 2 last ports of the lsi)

if you want to use all ports the you will have to chchange the /etc/synoinfo.conf  and /etc.defaults/synoinfo.conf to the following values

maxdisks=14
usbportcfg=0x3fc000
esataportcfg=0x0
internalportcfg=0x3fff

taht way all 14 ports are internal (no eSATA) and all 8 USB ports of the board are defined

for further information search the forum or the internet for synoinfo.conf or search in youtube for "Expand XPenology beyond 12 drives"

Hi, 

I have almost the same problem. In my case 2 LSI card used in IT mode with 12 HDD. Everything was fine with v5. Upgraded to the latest 6.1 and now 2 hard disks recognized as ESATA disks with default config files. Onboard sata ports disabled. Tried multiple different configurations, can't get it right. Disabled esata and usb in config (0x0). internalportcfg="0xfff". Any ideas what I am missing ?

you should watch the video i mentioned it will open your eyes

for short 0xfff means 12 disks in your case there might be onboard sata + 8 + 8

you might try 0xfffff (thats 20 disks) and maxdisks=20 (usb and esata are already 0x0, if internal/max. is clear it can be set to to better values, as usb can be usefull)

Watched that video and checked forum before posting. As I mentioned all sata ports are disabled so it is 8+8. I ended up configuring 16 ports, it works now. But first 4 slots empty so HDD #1 is in bay 5. 

you can check /var/log/dmesg and messages to see what controllers are found

also you disconnect all 12 disks take 2 unused disk, install dsm to one and when its running just sstart connecting the other disk on ports to check where iin dsm it comes out and that all ports are usable, if 4 are missing then change config to 20 disks and see that the missing 4 ports working then

and make a dokumentation about the changes in the config and were the ports on the controller are in dsm (slots)

1 hour ago, IG-88 said:

you can check /var/log/dmesg and messages to see what controllers are found

also you disconnect all 12 disks take 2 unused disk, install dsm to one and when its running just sstart connecting the other disk on ports to check where iin dsm it comes out and that all ports are usable, if 4 are missing then change config to 20 disks and see that the missing 4 ports working then

and make a dokumentation about the changes in the config and were the ports on the controller are in dsm (slots)

Thanks for your help