XPEnology Community

Intel Nuc NUC5I3RYH not working with DS916+ boot loader v1.02b but perfect with DS3615/DS3617xs

Huberer

Hello,

I’ve bought an Intel Nuc NUC5I3RYH (Rock Canyon, Intel Core i3-5010U, 4GB Ram, Intel i218-V rev03 ethernet card, for testing purpose 128GB SSD) to use it with DSM 6.1 and DS916+ bootloader (for hardware transcoding).
I’ve downloaded Jun’s boot loader v1.02b for DS916+, made the necessary changes (pid, vid, mac-address and serial number), created an installer for the thumb drive, plugged it to one of the two rear USB3.0 port and booted from it. 
Either my router (Asus RT-AC68P) nor the Synology Assistant can’t find the Nuc.
So I thought I made a mistake and downloaded the (latest) bootloaders for DS3615 and DS3617xs. Made also the necessary changes to grub.cfg (here without serial numbers), booted from the thumb drive and shortly after booting the IP-address of the Nuc shows up on the router (from both bootloaders) and I could log into the webinterface (under DS3615 I could install DSM without any hassle - under DS3617 I didn’t test).

So I installed the „extra.lzma“ to the DS916-bootloader but didn’t help.

I modified the grub.cfg of the DS3615-bootloader to show up as DS916 but this didn't work. While booting everything shows up as DS916 but the webinterface for installations shows DS3615. I also copied the grub.cfg from DS3615 to the DS916 bootloader but the Nuc still doesn't show up in my network.

I also compared the drivers between DS3615 and DS916 (extra.lzma) and the "e1000.ko", which I guess is for the ethernet card, is a little bit bigger in the DS916-bootloader (1 Byte) than in DS3615 and in DS916 there's an "ixgbe.ko" driver but none in DS3615 (even it's mentioned in "rc.modules"). I've tried to replace the e1000.ko from DS3615-package with the one from the DS916-package but didn't work. Don't know if it's a problem because I made everything under OS X and not under linux. 

I also tried to boot from DS916-bootloader v1.02a2 but also no success.

So, I've no clue what to do. Can someone point me to the right direction to fix this issue? Unfortunately there's no message screen while booting to see where's the problem.

Thanks in advance

Edited by Huberer

On 10/22/2017 at 8:16 PM, Huberer said:

So I installed the „extra.lzma“ to the DS916-bootloader but didn’t help.

if you talk about my driver extension thread, thats for 3615 not for 916+, dont expect it to work with 916+, newer tested it on anything else as 3615 bootloader

On 10/22/2017 at 8:16 PM, Huberer said:

So, I've no clue what to do. Can someone point me to the right direction to fix this issue? Unfortunately there's no message screen while booting to see where's the problem.

the screen output and login option (to see the complete log in /var/log/ ) is on com1 by serial cable

the e1000 basicly seems to work in 916+ bootloader, i tryed it in virtualbox and had problems but the virtual intel nic worked and i could see the system after booting the 1.02b (odditys included)

Hello,

thanks for your answer. No I didn't use your extra.lzma. I used one which was offered here in the forum but don't know anymore where I found it. It was posted together with the boot loaders from "jun". I know that yours is only working with DS3615 bootloader. I also tried to use the e1000 drivers from he other bootloaders but they didn't work too.

3 hours ago, IG-88 said:

the screen output and login option (to see the complete log in /var/log/ ) is on com1 by serial cable

I know that I should use a serial cable (in my case a usb to serial because the Intel Nuc has not serial port) but right know I don't have one. Tomorrow I will ask some colleagues if they have one. Otherwise I will buy one from Amazon. 

With /var/log you mean the hard drive where DSM is installed, or? In my case I can't install because I can't find the Nuc on the network. Even the led's on the back of the Nuc aren't on (they don't lighten).

3 hours ago, IG-88 said:

the e1000 basicly seems to work in 916+ bootloader, i tryed it in virtualbox and had problems but the virtual intel nic worked and i could see the system after booting the 1.02b (odditys included)

As I wrote before the bootloaders for DS3615 and DS3617 work without any problems. After a couple of seconds after booting I can find the Nuc on my network and can install DSM. I've tried to compare the bootloaders but they're really different to find where the problem is. I also tried to mod the DS3615 bootloader into a DS916 one (just replace the names of the Synos) but this didn't work. The bootloader showed up as DS916 but when I connected to the install page, DS3615 showed up.

In my Virtualbox (on my OMV server back home) the virtual machine runs perfect with the DS916 bootloader. I also use an intel nic (on my mainboard there's also an intel onboard nic).

Maybe I can get a usb to rs232 adapter next week and can get the screen output. I will post it here for sure.

Thanks again

3 hours ago, Huberer said:

In my Virtualbox (on my OMV server back home) the virtual machine runs perfect with the DS916 bootloader. I also use an intel nic (on my mainboard there's also an intel onboard nic).

so maybe you can help me with my problem? whats the disk settings in your vm with the 916+?