XPEnology Community

Synology DS3612xs - DSM 4.2 build 3202

Can I change the mac address and S/N to any MAC address and S/N that I want? or I need to find a valid MAC addresses and S/N for Synology?

For WOL to work properly, MAC address should match you real NIC's MAC address. It is unique for each network adapter. SN you can make anything you want with the same lenght (?). For both, MAC and SN you will need to recalculate the checksum and put it right after the number.

Can I change the mac address and S/N to any MAC address and S/N that I want? or I need to find a valid MAC addresses and S/N for Synology?

For WOL to work properly, MAC address should match you real NIC's MAC address. It is unique for each network adapter. SN you can make anything you want with the same lenght (?). For both, MAC and SN you will need to recalculate the checksum and put it right after the number.

Hi,

Thanks for the help.

I edited the vendor file and used the excel to calculate the pair 7 (that I assume its the check sum)

the excel create a new serial as well base on the MAC address and a check sum pair for the serial.

Now when I boot from the USB disk I see on the screen the 4 MAC addresses that I modified and the serial.

BUT I get in the "custom serial: Empty or Invalid checksum", is there any other check sum that I need to do?

Thanks

Hi,

Thanks for the help.

I edited the vendor file and used the excel to calculate the pair 7 (that I assume its the check sum)

the excel create a new serial as well base on the MAC address and a check sum pair for the serial.

Now when I boot from the USB disk I see on the screen the 4 MAC addresses that I modified and the serial.

BUT I get in the "custom serial: Empty or Invalid checksum", is there any other check sum that I need to do?

Thanks

If it seeing by Synology assistant and system info inside the DSM correctly, its all good.

Hi,

I installed this version and the xpenology work great.

I'm using Gigabyte mother board, this boards have a problem (bug) in the bios that it can't boot from usb drive with linux MBR. but USB with DOS/WINDOWS MBR no problem, im not sure if its all linux types. this issue is only with USB.

Do you know if I can install on the data hard drive bool loader to point to my usb so it will boot automatically? (I tried that and its destroy the volume)

I tried to use 2 usb drives one with dos/windows MBR that load and it suppose to start the second but I can't make it work.

any suggestion or help will be greatly appreciated about how to start the xpenology.

thanks

• 1 month later...

I was using 4.1 of the DSM software and though, "oh, lets upgrade to 4.2, that will be fun..." not realizing that the driver for my network (Realtek 8169) had been removed. I saw in the 4.3 thread there was some talk about it being added, but I haven't seen it here.

Has anyone suggest or asked about adding Realtek 8169 support to the the 3202 build?

I'm kinda SOL because I can't downgrade (I've tried the editing version, I can't login via root, it won't take the password for some reason) but the 4.2 version doesn't have driver support.

I'm open to suggestions to solve this too.

• 1 month later...