XPEnology Community

Synology DS3612xs - DSM 4.2 build 3202

Thank you very much for this awesome build. I have a handful of HP EX495 Media Server devices that I've been running with WHS 2011. They've been great but lacked a few of the packages that Synology has.

are you using the DSM system on the virtualbox for windows ?

Hi

I had a bit of a disaster and ended up reinstalling DSM on my N40L (wipe and reset factory defaults), long story

However the DSM sees the 2 other HDD's but did not remount them and when attempting to create the volumes it wiped the drives (thankfully I have it all backed up).

So my question is:

In the event of a failure (say primary HDD failure) can you reinstall the OS and remount the volumes you have on the other discs? If so how?

If not then how would you get the data from the HDD's to load it back into DSM??

I'm hoping that there it was something that I missed.

Hi,

I have a N40L, how can I build a DSM 4.2 build 3202.

Thanks

I know this sounds like a rubbish response but go to the first post and read through all the responses, as you work your way through you will find links to all the files and information on how to complete the tasks and install DSM.

In short

Flash modded BIOS and configure as guided

Image your USB deviice with img file

Connect to unit using Synology Assistant

Apply modded pat file to install OS

Thank you very much for this awesome build. I have a handful of HP EX495 Media Server devices that I've been running with WHS 2011. They've been great but lacked a few of the packages that Synology has.

are you using the DSM system on the virtualbox for windows ?

Initially, that's what I did. I installed virtual box on whs 2011, tested the deployment and was a little disappointed with the performance (hdd read and write was around 5-10MBytes/sec). I had a spare ex495 lying around and decided to try it out.

I installed the synoboot image onto a USB thumbdrive, placed the thumb drive in the server, placed 4 new hdd. booted it up, once the synology assistant showed the device on the network, I removed the thumbdrive, installed the modified pat file and about 5 minutes later, once the pat file installed, I placed the thumb drive back into the machine and everything was up and running again.

It took about 3 hours for the shr to finish optimizing the datastore but once done, its been flying.

Hy mister,

Very very very thanks for share img synology ! I am installed on my Pc an Rox nas pc server !

My config is :

Motherboard Asus Sabertooth P67

CPU is Core i7 2600k @ 4Ghz

Memory is 4x4 go ddr3 1600mhz Corsair

Video card is Asus 280Gtx

One moment my HDD is 1x 360go sata 2 & 1x 750go sata 2. (The futur is 4x 2 to for raid 1 or 5).

The serveur rox, is good compared id build 4.1 2226 !

I this possible change modele nas on config IMG for installer other pc server ?

Or is possibe installed xxxx img identique ?

Sorry my bad english !

Thanks

Ps: you create other section support language french ????

Hy mister,

Very very very thanks for share img synology ! I am installed on my Pc an Rox nas pc server !

My config is :

Motherboard Asus Sabertooth P67

CPU is Core i7 2600k @ 4Ghz

Memory is 4x4 go ddr3 1600mhz Corsair

Video card is Asus 280Gtx

One moment my HDD is 1x 360go sata 2 & 1x 750go sata 2. (The futur is 4x 2 to for raid 1 or 5).

The serveur rox, is good compared id build 4.1 2226 !

I this possible change modele nas on config IMG for installer other pc server ?

Or is possibe installed xxxx img identique ?

Sorry my bad english !

Thanks

Ps: you create other section support language french ????

Hi tousmic, if you read topic about compiling kernel, you can found news about it, the simply way is: you have to build zImage kernel with a lot of hardware drivers to cover any piece of your MB, many people in this forum buy a HP N40L microserver that it's , for me, the best way to build home nas, if you need more hdd space you can build your own nas using special rack cabinet with many hot-swap bay , choose rigth mainboard, look for rigth chipse to include in kernel building.

Hi,

I have a N40L, how can I build a DSM 4.2 build 3202.

Thanks

I know this sounds like a rubbish response but go to the first post and read through all the responses, as you work your way through you will find links to all the files and information on how to complete the tasks and install DSM.

In short

Flash modded BIOS and configure as guided

Image your USB deviice with img file

Connect to unit using Synology Assistant

Apply modded pat file to install OS

Hi spv4u,

Thanks your reply.

Actually I know steps to mod it.

I find there are many IMG and pat file.

Most of success story are installed with PC motherboard. Few are targeted to N40L.

I also find many post say the DSM 4.1 support more hardware.

All of them make me confused.

Sorry for my question.

Thank you for your response. in fact everything goes perfectly with my server pc. I was wondering if I could use the same image synology again to create a second server ...?

Hi, why not? but you have to editing grub.conf in boot-image to change macaddress, if you use the same image used for first one, the second one get the same mac-address of the first one, so, your network doesent work. :grin:

Hi, why not? but you have to editing grub.conf in boot-image to change macaddress, if you use the same image used for first one, the second one get the same mac-address of the first one, so, your network doesent work. :grin:

Here is what I actually wanted, thank you for your response and your help.

Does anybody have a work setup for this install? I am looking to buy new hardware but I am unsure what motherboard etc to buy (was looking for a 1 with pre installed cpu with low power usage)

thanks

I just build a pc with Biostar A68I-350 DELUXE R2.0, on broad AMD E-350 and Radeon HD 6310 Graphics, 3 nos SATA port, install with no pain.

Thank you for your response. in fact everything goes perfectly with my server pc. I was wondering if I could use the same image synology again to create a second server ...?

Hi,

For the first NAS, do i need to edit the macaddress?

Regards

Hi,

For the first NAS, do i need to edit the macaddress?

Regards

The simple answer is NO, if you have multi NAS, to avoid the MAC address conflict, you need change them except the first one.

Hi Aigor,

Item fixed, all works.

Samba transfer rate up to 60Mb/s

Thanks so much

You are welcome :grin: i'm happy, new syno user

i reach 90 MB via samba normaly i run two VM with 2 iscsi target in which OS reside

I'm following the instructions found in a previous post and using the DS3612xs_32303-Repack.zip, but the zip doesn't have the vdi file. Is there another set of instructions or a different zip I should be downloading?

Thank you

This thread is about real install, if you looking in the forum you can found the thread about installing on esx and virtualbox.