XPEnology Community

[UPDATED] XPEnology ISO Edition 5.0-4493 - Nanoboot 5.0.3.1

hussain

Hi all

Just sharing with you my ISO edition of XPEnology.. if you're like me who doesn't like to dedicate a flash disk just for booting the system, then here it is..

i'm not sure if this has been mentioned before, but anyway :???:

Nanoboot 5.0.3.1

32bit

coming...

64bit

https://mega.co.nz/#!DwBXwZrJ!l57a2losqpnSBnstx8LUpL6OnE3sBrcH2xLimz940XU

Nanoboot 5.0.2.4

32 bit

http://adf.ly/odnUm

64bit

http://adf.ly/odnHI

please make sure you change the settings in isolinux.cfg to fit your needs before burning the image

cheers

Hussain

Edited by Guest

What does this include? How do i use this to load up on my esx server?

this is just the bootloader which is used to install and boot xpenology... you just need to boot from it, and install the system using either web or synology assistant.

once you get it installed, set your boot priority in bios to boot from cd. and you're done.

Sorry to ask what is probably a basic question, but if I want to use this with Trantor's build, do I also need to use his .img file or just his .pat file?

there's no need to use the img file as it's included in this iso image.. so once you boot this image after you burn it.. use the pat file and you're set

please remember that you have to change the mac address in isolinux.cfg to match your mac address before burning it to cd

This also makes updating the boot drive impossible (except if you use a rewritable CD, or burn multiple ones).

if you change your boot/config that often, then i can upload a version that boots the bootloader from the internal hard drive... and in this case, you'll have to put the bootloader files on the hard drive using ssh.. and then boot from the cd which will read those files.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Thanks for this!

For me, booting from a USB attached CD and then removing CD player and disk would be practical.

Having read & re read I am not clear on the following...

I need to leave the CD in place after XPEn.. is running?

Cheers

MF

The bootloader contains the kernel image, which is definitely needed at some point, otherwise it will throw a lot of errors and may break the system.. Never tested though

Sent from my C6602 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
what represent the zimage file ? i don't see such file on nanoboot release , can you share method to build the ISO please , i would like to build them for each new version of nanoboot

thanks for your comprehension

XT

zImage is in nanoboot, as it was in gnoboot. You need to mount the image file, then you'll see it.

what represent the zimage file ? i don't see such file on nanoboot release , can you share method to build the ISO please , i would like to build them for each new version of nanoboot

thanks for your comprehension

XT

I'll release an updated and tweaked version later today

Hello Hussain,

I sent a post the other day because i want to use DSM 5.0 on my Thecus N7700.

I had problem to boot with synoboot so someone reply my post with a link to use you nanoboot

Your file is an image file, how can i use it to boot my system ? i don't have cd/dvd drive attached

can i use the img file to make USB thumb drive bootable?

Is win32diskimager good to use?

i am just curious but how do you boot your system from img file?

Also you advise to modify the config file to use the correct mac address of the system you want to install but how do you do that?

Well, thanks a lot for your help, and i will work on this install later...

Thanks,

Chris

Hello Hussain,

I sent a post the other day because i want to use DSM 5.0 on my Thecus N7700.

I had problem to boot with synoboot so someone reply my post with a link to use you nanoboot

Your file is an image file, how can i use it to boot my system ? i don't have cd/dvd drive attached

can i use the img file to make USB thumb drive bootable?

Is win32diskimager good to use?

i am just curious but how do you boot your system from img file?

Also you advise to modify the config file to use the correct mac address of the system you want to install but how do you do that?

Well, thanks a lot for your help, and i will work on this install later...

Thanks,

Chris

Hi cmorin38

You'll have to download the latest Nanoboot img file which you can write on and boot from usb... My image is based on that.

Once written on a usb, you can then modify the boot parameters as you prefer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
i'm having problems when installing using the "DSM_DS3612xs_4493.pat" and Nanoboot 5.0.3.1 x64

I keep on getting "Failed to format the disk", has anyone had this issue and found a solution?

Have you tried formatting it with gparted or a live cd?... Your hard disk could be dead!

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk