denmalley

XPENoobie with a noobie question

HI there!   Looking forward to exploring this awesome software.  I successfully loaded a Dell Poweredge T30 bare metal with the DS3617xs version of DSM, and now that I'm in, I'm basically wondering if I need to be wary of anything as far as using the "official" synology services.  Like can I go to their package center to get stuff?  I guess I should turn off automatic updates?  I unchecked anything during setup regarding sending them any info, but I guess basically wondering if there's anything I need to watch out for in settings or access that will violate TOS or whatnot.

In the meantime, I'll keep scrubbing the forums looking for answers to my questions, thanks for all the awesome work!

Welcome to the forum and glad everything is working fine for you.

Well the mere fact of using DSM on a non-Synology hardware is already a violation yet not illegal to my knowledge.

My recommendation is not using any feature that uses Synology's web based services such as for example Quickconnect or push services. That's a no no because you are using Synology's resources and on top of that you are showing Synology your SN which they know might not be legitimate. There is a very easy work around like setting up a custom DDNS.

We also do no promote/tolerate cracking any proprietary package such as Surveillance Station for example where only 2 cam licences are available for free. Some people think it is ok to crack the binaries up and share that in public in order to free the package from its 2 free license limitation. I don't think it is.

Downloading packages from the package center should be fine but as I said above you will also be in violation since you will need to agree to an EULA before you are able to download packages and that EULA states that DSM packages are supposed to be for Synology devices, but hey without those packages then using DSM would virtually be useless. If you care to read the EULA here it is: https://www.synology.com/en-us/company/legal/package_center

Have fun.

• Like 1