XPEnology Community

Looking for NAS options

roberthartung

Question

Looks like I am the first one to post here :-)

I currently have a DS213+ which is full and I really need to update it, as it's not even an Intel processor in there.

Requirements are:

- Rackmountable

- SFP+ / 10G

- Enough RAM

I've looked at the RS3617xs for now but I really dislike the old CPU they use and the amount of money they ask for. Additionally, I really would like to use ZFS on the NAS.

That's my two cents,

Robert

3 answers to this question

37 minutes ago, roberthartung said:

I currently have a DS213+ which is full and I really need to update it, as it's not even an Intel processor in there.

Requirements are:

- Rackmountable

- SFP+ / 10G

- Enough RAM

I've looked at the RS3617xs for now but I really dislike the old CPU they use and the amount of money they ask for. Additionally, I really would like to use ZFS on the NAS.

That's my two cents,

Robert

Hi Robert,

You can go baremetal with xpenology, so basicly you can use any hardware as long as the drivers are present. you can search the forum for the lists of supported hardware.

i'm using a HP DL360 G7 (2cpu, 8cores, 16 threads and 44Gb ram) with a LSI SAS 9207-8i (SKU : LSI00302 | EAN : 0830343006892 ) and i'v bonded all 4 network interfaces into one.

and this setup works perfect.

as for the filesystem, any particular reason that you want to use ZFS? (BTW there is BTRFS support)

On 10/18/2017 at 10:19 PM, roberthartung said:

Requirements are:

- Rackmountable

- SFP+ / 10G

- Enough RAM

That's my two cents,

Robert

if ZFS is needed then dsm/xpenology is not for you, ext4 or btrfs are the options, maybe FreeNAS (http://www.freenas.org/zfs/) is more what you are looking for, but be aware of the huge ammount of RAM thats needed if have something with 20+ TB in mind

also open media vault might be an option (also no ZFS)

DSM is a little problematic when it comes to drivers (it a appliance not a linux distribution), as synology only packs in what is used by synology hardware, juns loader brings some drivers but not to compare what was (in the end) possible with 5.x

if you choose your hardware in a way that it only need drivers already packed by synology inside the dsm*.pat you might be more future proof, at least you will have to check what hardware is supported atm from dsm + jun-loader (and maybe a additional extra.lzma with extra drivers)