XPEnology Community

HP DC7900

Ganthorn

When I did a Forum search I see a few people got DSM running on their DC7900. I have tried and all I get is a blinking cursor in the top left hand corner. I know the system will boot from USB since I have FreeNAS running on this unit. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• 5 months later...

Hi,

Thanks for your reply, i found the nanoboot today but i don't know exactly how it works.

Do you find any tuto for this or do you have one for me! :wink:

I've just try to deploy the image with win32diskimager but with no luck.

Does your DC 7800 a slim tower? Do you unplug de cdrom drive?

Excuse for my poor english i'll do my best :grin:

Hi,

I use win32diskimager too for deploy image to my usb key.

The usb key is connected in front port and i can boot with this image. My bios version is 1.32

I don't have a cdrom in this machine. I have only two Hard drive.

The model is : HP Compaq dc7800 format minitour convertible

yes, i have 3 HP machine, DC 5800, DC 7800 and DX7400.

In DC 5800 & DC 7800, when using gnoboot, it only flash at top left angle, it work fine when using nanoboot. when every reboot DSM, bios check sum error is occur. by the way, DX7400, it most work fine for gnoboot & nanoboot.

there problem may occur in every DC series machine.

any user tried in others?

Hi, i have try on a HP 8300 elite, same problem, white cursor blinking at top left!

On many other computer no problem, motherboard asus (sabertooth) laptop eeepc and Acer it's boot fine with gnoboot.

Somebody can send me a link for a version of nanoboot i've try 3 file .img and my dc7900 don't want to boot. The file is not big 16Mo and is name : NanoBoot-x86-5.0.2.4-fat.img

Thanks in advance.

And do you have a picture of the bios check sum error?

Thanks

I have a 7900 too. I did not find a way around the bios error on reboot either. I am on my phone but in the gnoboot thread there was a post on how to get around the boot issue. I tried it and it worked. I would take a look at that thread.

Kill

Pretty sure it was this post...

@Grinroth and others not booting GRUB:

The problem was in the old bios of the HP computer (and probably others) apparantly:

Solved by using these steps:

1) mount the .img (vfat if you're using windows) image

2) use RMprep to prepare the USB stick Fat32 with 2nd partition (USB HDD option) and install Grub4DOS on it. Let it install to MBR and(!) PBR.

3) copy all files and directories from the mounted image into the USB stick

4) open the computer case and UNPLUG the DVD - CD ROM drive (!) without this action the kernel will freak out on ata_piix (!)

5) close the case (duh) set bios to boot from USB, boot from stick and select GNOboot.me at first. Install synology with assistant. Boot alpha at reboot (automatic, so no worry)

done. Some bios roms don't like the USB boot when written directly from the img. This way the bios from HP will boot the zImage, so the Synology DSM can be installed. meh.

bals

Credit to original poster...

• 2 months later...

Big Thanks Killnfield.

The solution you mentioned absolutly solved the problem.

This is what i did.

I first installed the img with Win32 Disk Imager.

1445vv8.png

Below the result. You need to copy these files to a folder on your local desktop. You need those files in the last step.

24601.png

Now follow the steps below.

10n6qhj.png

When it asks you to install MBR? Choose Yes

When it asks you to install grub4dos on MBR? Choose OK

A dos box appear. Press enter

When it asks you to copy grldr to drive? Choose Yes

Now you have to copy the files from the folder on your local dekstop.

When it asks you to overwrite. Click overwrite.

I have same issues with HP 5750 and HP 5800 (Bios checksum at reboot, and nanoboot don't boot).

For me i used nanoboot img from xpenology.nl and it's work fine directly in 5.0.3.1 v4493, gnoboot also work fine.

For bios check, i did't find solution

• 2 months later...

Helllo,

This method doesn't work for me. It gives me GRUB GRUB GRUB printed all over the screen. Do you have any ideas?

Thanks,

Big Thanks Killnfield.

The solution you mentioned absolutly solved the problem.

This is what i did.

I first installed the img with Win32 Disk Imager.

1445vv8.png

Below the result. You need to copy these files to a folder on your local desktop. You need those files in the last step.

24601.png

Now follow the steps below.

10n6qhj.png

When it asks you to install MBR? Choose Yes

When it asks you to install grub4dos on MBR? Choose OK

A dos box appear. Press enter

When it asks you to copy grldr to drive? Choose Yes

Now you have to copy the files from the folder on your local dekstop.

When it asks you to overwrite. Click overwrite.

• 1 month later...

Figured out how to make the USB stick work. You need to copy the menu.lst file out of the /boot/grub folder and put it on the root level of the USB drive right next to the grldr file. The rest of the files get copied as is to the USB drive. So they need to stay in the Boot/grub folder and the zimage file gets copied to the root level of the USB Drive.