XPEnology Community

XPEnology DS3612xs DSM 4.3 build 3827 (ESXi v1.2)

Trantor

Install ESXi onto the USB flash drive. add another small drive for VM storage and create XPEnology VM on it. Mount existing drives as RDM and assign them to this new XPEnology virtual machine.

Booting back from synoboot USB instead of ESXi USB, should return system to "native" hardware install.

is it possible to convert a regular n54l xpenology 4.3 build into an ESXi build without losing data on the data drives?

I currently have 4 drives: 2x3gig, 2x2gig in a SHR array. How would I go about changing converting to an ESXi build?

I don't think there's a way to convert it easily. The new system would want to format and create a new volume on the drives, once mounted. If you have an external drive, you could back everything up to it, create the ESXi build, mount the old drives, and then restore the data.

Install ESXi onto the USB flash drive. add another small drive for VM storage and create XPEnology VM on it. Mount existing drives as RDM and assign them to this new XPEnology virtual machine.

Booting back from synoboot USB instead of ESXi USB, should return system to "native" hardware install.

+1, that was I did from a Syno DS211+. Works great.

is it possible to convert a regular n54l xpenology 4.3 build into an ESXi build without losing data on the data drives?

I currently have 4 drives: 2x3gig, 2x2gig in a SHR array. How would I go about changing converting to an ESXi build?

Yes, you can. I've done it in the past, with a PC hardware. What you will need is another hard drive. Ideally, installing ESXi in the 5th hard drive ( best practice is remove your old 4 drives first ). THen, enable passthrough ( does your n54L even support hard drive passthrough ?) .

Then install the Xpenology, and passthrough the hard drives.

OMG! my dream comes true!!

Anyone here uses ESXi5.5 ?? anyone passthrough the whole SATA controller so the HD SMART Status work?

Here with N54L. SMART status is not transmitted - support is incomplete from software side. I think it's driver's fault.

( does your n54L even support hard drive passthrough ?) .
No need for a proper passthrough support to make it work. Raw device mapping, works on N54L whereas device passthrough is not handled by this machine (e.g unable to use real graphics card features in a vm).

So this should work on most configurations.

Hello, Just woundering, if this topic can be made specific for the ESXI version of 4.3 Build 3810?

That way we can keep track of the working or not working things in this build rater then, how do i update from Ver 2 to ver 3 or how to install DSM.

Why dont peaple start a new tread and stay on topic? "NFS Bug" still not working and is almost one page behind

It we could subscribe to a tread too that would be awesome, i check multiple times a day for update, a bit disappointed reading about passthrough in this tread.

Thanks!

Hi,

how can I mount the boot volume to edit the vender file?

DiskStation> fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 8589 MB, 8589934592 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 1044 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks  Id System
/dev/sda1               1         311     2490240  fd Linux raid autodetect
Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary
/dev/sda2             311         572     2097152  fd Linux raid autodetect
Partition 2 does not end on cylinder boundary
/dev/sda3             588        1044     3667328  fd Linux raid autodetect
DiskStation>
DiskStation> mount
/dev/root on / type ext4 (rw,relatime,user_xattr,nosynoacl,barrier=1,journal_checksum,data=ordered)
/dev/root on /proc/bus/pci type ext4 (rw,relatime,user_xattr,nosynoacl,barrier=1,journal_checksum,data=ordered)
none on /dev/pts type devpts (gid=4,mode=620)
/sys on /sys type sysfs (0)
/tmp on /tmp type tmpfs (0)
/proc/bus/usb on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (0)
/dev/md2 on /volume1 type ext4 (usrjquota=aquota.user,grpjquota=aquota.group,jqfmt=vfsv0,synoacl)
DiskStation>

Great build

Thx

=================

I managed to changed the MAC and serial number of the vmdx file of the 2nd N54L installation.

But when I do a HA setup sync, it error out with "operation failed, please re-logon and retry again"

any idea ?

Edited by Guest

Hey Trantor,

Your build works really good, except for CIFS mount, i can't add a mount from my popcorn hour A300 :sad:

With this version : viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1737

It's work !

So i tried to look at cifs.ko and try theses modules but it didn't work :/

The logs files didn't speak too much, my mount is just refused

So can you have a look about cifs mount please ? :smile:

I tested with the french ovf template build as well, seems nfs/iscsi ect all works, but in console i got many errors that doesnt affect performance tho, and i need to repai my disks (4x3tb) full of apps, so I stopped testing... thanks for Trantor for his effort and hope for a build with iscsi support then I'm all set :grin: