XPEnology Community

XPEnology DS3612xs DSM 4.3 build 3827 (ESXi v1.2)

Trantor

@muhh: it is not so hard to customize it yourself after a fresh install but:

... would be nice to have: NFS + CIFS + bootstratp + open-vm-tools + Update 4 included into a complete package - ESXi v1.2 maybe ? :mrgreen:

@ Trantor: as more and more resources are directed to DSM v5, maybe would be good to have a final complete release with DSM v4.3 for ESXi :cool: .

... would be nice to have: NFS + CIFS + bootstratp + open-vm-tools + Update 4 included into a complete package - ESXi v1.2 maybe ? :mrgreen:

@ Trantor: as more and more resources are directed to DSM v5, maybe would be good to have a final complete release with DSM v4.3 for ESXi :cool: .

I'm currently finalising the standard 4.3-3827 build, I will then update ESXi build to 4.3-3827 with bootstrap + open-vm-tools :wink:

I'm currently finalising the standard 4.3-3827 build, I will then update ESXi build to 4.3-3827 with bootstrap + open-vm-tools :wink:

taht's sound good !!! maby hanks for the job trantor !

taht's sound good !!! maby hanks for the job trantor !

Sounds good! :grin:

I have your v1.1 successfully running on my ESXi 5.5 box with open-vm-tools.

Updated 3810 to 3810 update 4, also with success!

Will I be able to update to 3827 with your (new) build?

Thanks for all the hard work! Thumbs up!

Sounds good! :grin:

I have your v1.1 successfully running on my ESXi 5.5 box with open-vm-tools.

Updated 3810 to 3810 update 4, also with success!

Will I be able to update to 3827 with your (new) build?

Thanks for all the hard work! Thumbs up!

I have a noob question for you all.

I did have this running on ESXi 5.1. But I shut XPEnology VM down using DSM web interface.

Then I have created a Physical RDM using SSH on ESXi:

vmkfstools -z /vmfs/devices/disks/vml.0100000000202020202057442d574d43333031343432323032574443205744 RDM1.vmdk

I then added the new RDM1.vmdk as a 3rd Hard drive to my XPEnology VM and then started it.

Now I get an Error upon boot:

GRUB loading stage1.5.

GRUB loading, please wait...

Error 22

I have removed the new hard drive but I still get the same error.

What should I do?

I have a noob question for you all.

I did have this running on ESXi 5.1. But I shut XPEnology VM down using DSM web interface.

Then I have created a Physical RDM using SSH on ESXi:

vmkfstools -z /vmfs/devices/disks/vml.0100000000202020202057442d574d43333031343432323032574443205744 RDM1.vmdk

I then added the new RDM1.vmdk as a 3rd Hard drive to my XPEnology VM and then started it.

Now I get an Error upon boot:

GRUB loading stage1.5.

GRUB loading, please wait...

Error 22

I have removed the new hard drive but I still get the same error.

What should I do?

Hi, all,

This is my first post. I have learned a lot from this forum, and really appreciate all the hardwork by the experts here.

Now having a new box with Asrock H87M-Pro4/Pentium G3220, running ESXi 5.1 and this DSM 4.3 VM. Everything is good except the USB3 HDD performance in the VM is same as USB2 HDD. The VM has xHCI USB controller which is supposed to support USB3.

When I start the DSM from the usb stick so it is running in physical machine, the USB3 HDD (WD Mybook 2TB) get 107.82 MB/s:

$ hdparm -tT /dev/sdy

/dev/sdy:

Timing cached reads: 15296 MB in 2.00 seconds = 7665.84 MB/sec

Timing buffered disk reads: 324 MB in 3.00 seconds = 107.82 MB/sec

$ time sh -c "dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=1048576 count=2048 && sync"

2048+0 records in

2048+0 records out

real 0m 19.60s <------write speed=2048/19.6=104MB/s

user 0m 0.01s

sys 0m 0.61s

(USB2 HDDs get ~41MB/s for hdparm, and 48~55sec (37~42MB/s) for dd test)

But when I try the same tests in the DSM VM, the USB3 HDD has same speed as USB2 HDDs:

$ hdparm -tT /dev/sdu

/dev/sdu:

Timing cached reads: 11232 MB in 2.00 seconds = 5625.18 MB/sec

Timing buffered disk reads: 94 MB in 3.00 seconds = 31.33 MB/sec <--- all USB2 and USB3 HDDs are similar

$ time sh -c "dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=1048576 count=2048 && sync"

2048+0 records in

2048+0 records out

real 1m 11.01s <--- all USB2 and USB3 HDDs are similar

user 0m 0.00s

sys 0m 0.86s

Can someone point me to the right direction to fix the USB3 performance in the VM? Thanks a lot in advance.

Thank you Trantor in advance for this, my ESXi box is waiting for this release :smile:

Does anyone have VPN working on 3810 update 4?

I'm running an ESXi 5.5 box with the Trantor v1.1 build and updated to 3810 update 4.

But I can't get the VPN package to work. I have forwarded port TCP 1723, UDP 500, 1701 and 4500.

These are all ports for PPTP and L2TP. Also I have enabled Gre on the firewall.

I cannot connect to either protocol, PPTP or L2TP.

Does any one have the same setup but with a working VPN package?

I had no success with OpenVPN connection (works from my Synology DS209 DSM 4.2), it was timing out on connection attempt.

I'm waiting for this new release from Trantor to doublecheck if that is fixed.

Thanks for the reply!

Pity it doesn't work... Would be nice to have VPN working.

Hello,

i have managed to install the esxi build 1.1 and updated with patch v4.

It seems to working fine..

NFS & CiFS is working.

iSCSi dosent work at all :sad:

I can create the LUN, but when i try to create the target, it says there where an Network error an i should check my Network settings.

Is there an fix for iSCSi?

This week-end I build a working 4.3-3827 build for ESXi with PVSCSI support.

I'm having issues building open-vm-Tools and no time to troubleshoot it.

I will just include the bootstrap setup script and post this updated build soon.

If I have time I will look to get iSCSI working in iet mode.

EDIT:

I sucessfully get iSCSI (regular and block) working in iet mode.

For regular mode, LUN must be created with advanced LUN features disabled (otherwise errors about vaai occurs).

For now : CIFS, NFS, iSCSI ok :smile:

I will just include the bootstrap setup script and post this updated build soon.

EDIT:

For regular mode, LUN must be created with advanced LUN features disabled (otherwise errors about vaai occurs).

Dear

Would VPN work?

EDIT:

When the update version will be available for download? Can´t wait for iSCSI support. :smile: