XPEnology Community

[SOLVED] Tips for installing XPENology in Hyper-V

grayer

After the installation, i got the error 22 i replaced the orginal vhd, then i didn't see the error at all.

synology Assistant completed the process... now when i am trying to login ... it says "The Account or password is invalid .. please try again." the username i am using is : admin and password is : The one i created at synology Assistant setup.

Other things i tried :

redid the whole process 2 times ... still have same issue.

left the password blank - it is did not help

any help how to fix this issue

Update : For some reason when i redid the whole process it worked ... Thanks People

Hi,

I was experiencing NIC crash when attempting to install a syno component via packet manager.

To update precious tutorial found in this thread, irqbalance was at this location on my system : /usr/sbin/irqbalance.

As told, I mv'ed it and now it's ok.

Hope it helps. :smile:

---

Edit:

NIC just crashed when attempting to download and install Download Station ... issue not solved !

(I could install Audio Station and Media Server before)

Reason:

wget to download large files from the internet makes it crash.

Interestingly enough, I didn't experience any crash when copying large files from/to smb shares with Windows 7 PC in my LAN.

Solved with using legacy network adapter in VM. But it is really slow.

Will try with a VM dedicated network card as soon as my integrated NIC will work in 2012 R2.

Up,

2 questions :

- did anyone succeeded in using non-legacy network adapter for xpenology VM in Hyper-V 2012 / 2012 R2 ?

Mine is legacy, currently stuck @100Mbit (actual tx rate is lower, btw).

- did anyone try to build latest 4.2 (like trantor's) for hyper-v ?

Anyway, hyper-v does not seem to be used much with xpenology, I'm considering to switch to either Linux server+VirtualBox, or esxi hypervisor, to host my VMs.

Thanks trantor.

I'm currently testing on ESXi and it's a way easier to make it handle an xpenology VM.

- It seems it doesn't need as many changes on boot image as required for Hyper-V

- There are less server configuration hassles, preventing management (weakness of workgroups vs domains, firewall rules, security policies, ...) - such a nightmare for people who are not MS sysadmins ! :smile:

- more success stories and tutorials over the web than about Hyper-V and xpenology !

Or maybe just I had no luck (understanding not nerdy enough :grin: ) with Hyper-V 2012 R2 ?

Hi.

Legacy is another kind of virtual device attached to your existing NIC controller. It uses drivers with limited features for testing.

To add a legacy, go to your Virtual Machine settings, remove the Network adapter device, then add a new device. Choose 'legacy network adapter' in the list of available ones.

It should appear as a golden icon.

Finally, change settings of this adapter to set MAC address spoofing as described in tutorial.

I hope it helps ya.

So, I was having the issue where my the synology lan would crash after x amount of time. Sometimes 15 hours sometimes 2 hours.

I have just switched it to a legacy adapter. (its an intel dual nic dedicated for the xpenology). I am currently running on a 100mbs network so I dont know if it has speed issues but it seems fine for 100mbs.

Will report if the issue happens with a legacy adapter as well.

• 1 month later...

Hi marc_al, thank you for the files to make the DSM work under Hyper-v! i succeed run dsm in the hyper-v,my server is dell 720,but the network speed is very low(《3m/s),and the vm-server2012 speed is same too。but last i ask google,i find answer ------disable you physical network Virtual Machine Queues,and you vm speed is up to 50m-80/s,is nice

sorry for my little english。 :mrgreen:

and thank all of you

• 1 month later...

I currently switched from ESXi to Win2008 R2 with Hyper-V due higher power-consumption with ESXi on my N54L (33W vs. 12W in idle status).

Everytime i shutdown the EXPenology and restart it, i get Error 22, so i have to replace the vhd file every restart. Is this occuring at anyone else?

Hello,

"

Everytime i shutdown the EXPenology and restart it, i get Error 22, so i have to replace the vhd file every restart. Is this occuring at anyone else?

"

nope, i don't see it at my Hyper-V (Win 2012 R2).

Where did you save your vhd? I did save my one on a "real" hdd on my server and no issues shutting down/rebooting the VM.

Also check the r/w access to the file, maybe there is something wrong. (I had such an issue with the VHD after playing with ESXi, even i didn't touched this disk)...

I tried XPEnology with ESXi 5.1 and to passtrough my IBM1015 HBA but i couldn't get my HDDs up and running. :S So i switched back to Windows..

BR

snoopy78

Hi Marc / Mars,

I was able to create and succesfully boot up a XPEnology 4.2 on my Hyper-V 2012 R2 server. I only got one question. How is the network performance on your vm(s)? Because my XPEnology shows Network Status 0, Half Duplex, MTU 1500. Which makes me think i'm only getting half of the network performance i should be able to get because i got a gigabit network. I tried adding a legacy network adapter to see if that would do any good, but i also get the same results on that network card. So Network Status 0, Half Duplex, MTU 1500. Also pushing files to the VM shows that it doesn't go any higher than 10MB/s where 100MB/s should be possible.

Do you guys have any idea what could be the cause of this? Could it the older Integrations Services which are installed in the boot image?

Hi Marc / Mars,

I was able to create and succesfully boot up a XPEnology 4.2 on my Hyper-V 2012 R2 server. I only got one question. How is the network performance on your vm(s)? Because my XPEnology shows Network Status 0, Half Duplex, MTU 1500. Which makes me think i'm only getting half of the network performance i should be able to get because i got a gigabit network. I tried adding a legacy network adapter to see if that would do any good, but i also get the same results on that network card. So Network Status 0, Half Duplex, MTU 1500. Also pushing files to the VM shows that it doesn't go any higher than 10MB/s where 100MB/s should be possible.

Do you guys have any idea what could be the cause of this? Could it the older Integrations Services which are installed in the boot image?