XPEnology Community

[SOLVED] Tips for installing XPENology in Hyper-V

grayer

Hello,

The main disk always need to be in IDE. This is necessary.

You should use the old file I provided before. The new kernel I compiled myself has nothing better than the one from Grayer (OP). I only try by myself to understand how to compile a kernel.

With the old version you can have the second HDD in IDE or SCSI (your choice). With the new kernel I made myself, the second HDD can only be in IDE (on SCSI it doesn't work), but the other drives can be SCSI. My version seems to see 4 HDD when there are only two.

I can't compile the kernel source from Grayer (there are missing functions so I guess something is missing).

Marc

• 3 weeks later...
Hello,

Thank you for the files.

I have already made a new image file and Pat file to install on a new Hyper-v (with your zImage).

Here is a file (7zip) with a vhd file and a Pat file).

If you create a vhd file as secondary slave there is no problem. Il the hvd is as SCSI you will have an error 22 and after that you must restore the vhd from the zip file and reboot the machine.

Thank you again for your time

Marc

Here are the files to use DSM 4.2 with Hyper-v

https://mega.co.nz/#!bYZmGAZS!AgDSqhlmm ... ZQFpLtqa4Y

Hi marc_al

I downloaded the zip file above, But I failed to make it work with either my windows 8 Hyper-V or windows 2008 R2 hyper-V.

I just attached your VHD file as first HD of my virtual machine, also added a legacy network adapter with your mac address. I can start VM, it gave me a console window and stopped at line "DiskStation login:", but I cannot input anything with my keyboard to login..., no keyboard driver?

Hello,

Thank you for the files.

I have already made a new image file and Pat file to install on a new Hyper-v (with your zImage).

If you create a vhd file as secondary slave there is no problem. Il the hvd is as SCSI you will have an error 22 and after that you must restore the vhd from the zip file and reboot the machine.

Marc

Hi marc_al

I downloaded the zip file above, But I failed to make it work with either my windows 8 Hyper-V or windows 2008 R2 hyper-V.

I just attached your VHD file as first HD of my virtual machine, also added a legacy network adapter with your mac address. I can start VM, it gave me a console window and stopped at line "DiskStation login:", but I cannot input anything with my keyboard to login..., no keyboard driver?

You should run Synology Assistant in your PC (You can download it from Synology) to connect DSM and install the firmware (PAT file) via your internet browser.

Hello,

Thank you for the files.

Marc

Hi marc_al

You should run Synology Assistant in your PC (You can download it from Synology) to connect DSM and install the firmware (PAT file) via your internet browser.

Oh....Thanks malpensa, I am new to DSM. I will try what you said...

Hi Marc,

I face a strange problem. I attached 2 seagate 2TB HD (raid 0) to DSM . However when DSM up around 1 or 2 days, the following errors will occur:

Internal disk [1] was defective.

Internal disk [2] was defective.

Raid[1] was crashed.

I need to restart DSM to reassemble the RAID. Did anyone has the same problem?

P.S. two HD are brand new. I have tried to mount them to IDE or SCSI. both has the same result.

Ryan

Oh....Thanks malpensa, I am new to DSM. I will try what you said...

My update...

I can install DSM to VM now, during the installation. it asked me to reboot, but after rebooting, I got error 22. I shut down my VM and copied your vhd again and overwrite, then I restarted the VM, but after loading/install something, VM and Synology assistant just shown timeout, looks like Synology assistant can not find or access the VM after rebooting, I also cannot ping the VM.., any idea??

Hello,

After the installation, if you have the error 22 you must put back the original vhd. You will see no error at all after that. You can also put the data disk in the IDE port for the installation and you won't have the error 22.

I have no problem since the image has been created on my computer. The virtual machine is working since I posted the zip file and I have seen no error at all (I don't use it a lot because I am using a DS 210J ). I use XPEnology for testing only.

Marc

Hi, Guys

marc, I want say thank for you. I use your VHD/PAT on my Windows 8 Hyper-V is successfully.

It could not be better! Very appreciate……….

in here is my step.maybe yor can reference my steps.

(sorry , my english is very pool...I am a old man. my educational background only junior high school.)

1. Open Hyper-V 3.0 Manangement Console.

2. move mouse to right top menu, click add an new virtual machine.

3. Virtual machine wizard popup , click next button.

4. input Virtual Machine display name, and select my D:\Hyper-V folder.then click next button.

5. in the memory setup page.set memeory size to 2048~4096MB,and I has click Dynamic Memory option. then click next button.

6. in the network page , you must choose an external network face(not no connet or internal/local host only), then click next button.

7. in virtual disk page, select connect late option.then click next button.

8. in summary page , click final button.

9. find your virtual machine , choose it and then right click , click setting .

10. in VM setting page, you can assing 2 or 4, or more .( I try it on company IBM X3650M4 .it is have 24 cores)

11. Please del/remove the virtual CD-ROM/DVD-ROM device on IDE 1(slave channel) first.then click apply button.

12. in IDE 1(slave channel), please click a new disk(not CD/DVD ROM).

13. Browsing and find folder ,then attach the file. (I am copy marc's DS3612xs_3202-Repack2.vhd to D:\Hyper\xxxxxx(VMhostname)\Virtual Hard Disks\)

( I am download https://mega.co.nz/#!bYZmGAZS!AgDSqhlmm ... ZQFpLtqa4Y (Marc is onwer)

14. click open button.back last page.click apply button.

15. in VM Setting page. find SCSI controller , and new a virtual disk(VHD/VHDX) .(you can create dynamic disk or fixed virtual disk)(here is very important step)

16. in the new disk page, I am set 2040 GB,then click next button.click final button again.

17. in VM Setting page, find network Interface and expansion the network . click advanced setting option.

18. Click MAC Address dynamic to static MAC , and key the MAC address (00113208D62A)

19. if your XPE DSM 4.2 need more Network Interface , follow Step 17~18 , and modify MAC address (001132 is Synology) , but only 2 ports can set 00113208D62A

/00113208D62B.

20 add other netowrk interfaces ,3~4/5/6/7/8 ....network , also follow steps 17~18 , put MAC address like 00113208D62C/00113208D62D/00113208D62E/00113208D62F...001132xxxxxx

21. Please click Mac Address Change option.(this is also important , if not click change option, your the network interface will bind 169.254.xxx.xxx address)

22. apply all. quit the VM setting page, open the VM connect console , the click power button.

23. when see an Diskstation login screen. run your Synology assintant and click seach.

24. you will see a Diskstation in SA. Then Right click , you can see connet/install/WOL like options.Please select install option.

25. browsing and find Marc provide PAT file. then click next button

26. config admin password , cannel SHR opton. then click next button.

27. in SA Network page. I am choose DHCP option. Click Next Button.

28. In Hyper-V VM Console , you will see your the VM is reboot , and got Error 22 code.

29. Trun off VM Power(must turn off).(Dont close SA ), Replcat DS3612xs_3202-Repack2.vhd to VM Path(D:\Hyper\xxxxxx(VMhostname)\Virtual Hard Disks\) overwrite it.

28. turn on your VM, back to your SA screen.waiting a monment , you will see a success message, Click the HyperLink ,

29 Enjoy the DSM.....

Marc , Thanks of to you again.

I am Mars , I am come from Taiwan

Edited by Guest

Hello,

Thank you for your great guide. You should thank grayer that compiled the kernel. On the kernel I made myself the HDD must be in IDE and It seems that when you put one HDD you will see 2 of them in the syno assistant (the source code part for Hyper-v is not working correctly in the source code so you must merge the Hyper-v files with the files from a more recent kernel where Hyper-V is working but it seems I am missing something so I took the kernel from Grayer..

Marc

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Can you please upload again the download has gone

Update

FYI got the download working

Instead of clicking download I clicked on import which opened a cloud like web page, right click on the file and select download and it downloaded.

• 2 weeks later...

Super :razz:

Your procedure is perfect.

For maximum performance (I/O), I configured iSCSI disks in physical hard Disk. The result is perfect. Warning. For physical Hard Disk in HyperV is necessary to disable disk in Windows 2012 (disk Offline).

:grin:

My machine is: Fujitsu Celsuis M460 with 8Go RAM and 1 disk 60Go (for Windows 2012) and 4 disks 1To (for DATA volume Synology).

Consommation is 105watts (if the disks is used).

Thanks !

Thank you for all the time and detailed step-by-step instructions here (Mars).

Running Hyper-V 2012 and this all worked fine so far. Installed Surveillance Station and added a camera. Works great. Syslog package doesn't appear to be collecting data thou. Will do some more testing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So, after a lot of trial and error I managed to get it to work.

Great stuff but every time I have to stop and restart it gives me the grub error 22. I have to override the boot VHD with the original one to boot back in. Is there a way to fix that?

Edit: Actually nevermind, today it booted just fine after a power off. One question, is this version the one that supports AMD CPUs?

This works, thanks for the file package and guidance so far.

I installed this on a HP N36L microserver under Win 8 Pro x64 running the Hyper V role.

Only experiencing one major issue at this point:

Network response is swift and writing a few small files to Windows shares no problem, but anything larger than a few MB will stall and hangs DSM; network shares are lost and I cannot connect anymore.

This happens both with attached VHDX and pass-through physical disk (500GB WD).

Looks like (virtual) UDMA issue? On the other hand, within DSM, under network interface, network status indicates "0, Half duplex", so this is probably the main cause.

Anyone experiencing anything similar?

[EDIT:] just checked on a mac through AFP: exact same issue. 5MB no problem, 15MB hangs.

Hi, Jos,

Actually i am facing similar problem with you.

My case is copy tasks all stopped when I was copying files from other NAS or my computer to Xpenology.

Then I checked my Xpenology by web interface, there were no any disks or partitions so far after that problem happened.

I am testing 3ea of 4TB with this virtual machine, i assigned all physical hard disks to VM.

I thought it might be disk capacity too big but it seems not relating with capacity.

Do you have any update on this? Actually I am using VMware workstation 10 now but i don't like the performance.

I feel, Hyper-V is much smoother and faster than VMware. But i can't use due to this prpblem.

Any idea please don't hesitate to share with me.

Thx.

Within a week or 2 I will be setting up my new server which will include a 2nd Intel NIC which I will be able to dedicate to DSM (well, sort of, since my set up will not support VT-d), so let's see if this brings anything.

OK, everything seems to work great now: I installed Windows 8.1 Pro, activated the Hyper-V role and brought over my DSM vhdx.

This time I attached a dedicated Intel NIC EXPI9301CT (in Hyper-V virtual switch manager, uncheck "allow management operating system to share this network adapter")

I noticed the network status within DSM is still indicated as "0, half duplex" but this time file transfers -big or small- are working fine.

To be honest I have not yet tried sharing this NIC with other VMs or attach any other shared NIC in this new set-up to see if the network adapter must be made available exclusively.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Do you know how to use another MAC address in the Synology ?

When I specify another MAC in the Hyper-V settings of the NIC, the VM does not respond.

In fact my dedicated server provider (OVH) needs me to assign a specific MAC to my VM to work on the network.

I have specified the MAC address in the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1 but the synology doesn't care about it.

Do you have any idea ?

Thanks