XPEnology Community

[SOLVED] Tips for installing XPENology in Hyper-V

grayer

i haven't had any speed issues..

connection was a 10G NIC (HP NC523SFP) which i added into the virtual switch, there i connected the VM then

but now i'm running the native xpenology as there were too many issues (auto shutdown/wakeup, hdd temp,..) in virtual (hyper-v & esxi) which i now don't have

i haven't had any speed issues..

connection was a 10G NIC (HP NC523SFP) which i added into the virtual switch, there i connected the VM then

but now i'm running the native xpenology as there were too many issues (auto shutdown/wakeup, hdd temp,..) in virtual (hyper-v & esxi) which i now don't have

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I installed DSM 5.0-4418 Beta in a Windows 2008 R2 Hyper-V machine by converting the vmdks from a VMware VM.

It boots up just fine, but i don't get the network adapter. The VM is configured with Legacy Network Adapter. Is there any way to install the network drivers?

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I installed DSM 5 in Hyper-V VM (2012 R2) and it works perfectly fine. I did it simple by just booting on the Gnoboot 10.5 ISO and keep mounted in DVD drive. You just add have to setup a Gen1 VM, not a Gen2. I pushed update 1 and then update 2 without any issues following the instructions (sed command).

I just need a confirmation from experts.. I would like to add a serial number but I cannot find any vendor file. Should I browse the ISO image to find the file and update it? After it I compile the new ISO and it works?

Thanks for enlighten me.

And sorry for my French English :wink:

Hi,

I installed DSM 5 in Hyper-V VM (2012 R2) and it works perfectly fine. I did it simple by just booting on the Gnoboot 10.5 ISO and keep mounted in DVD drive. You just add have to setup a Gen1 VM, not a Gen2. I pushed update 1 and then update 2 without any issues following the instructions (sed command).

I just need a confirmation from experts.. I would like to add a serial number but I cannot find any vendor file. Should I browse the ISO image to find the file and update it? After it I compile the new ISO and it works?

Thanks for enlighten me.

And sorry for my French English :wink:

Hi. How did you måle the ISO to booot from? Did you convert the img file?

Thanks.

Hi, I just took the ISO on this forum (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1967).

What .pat file did you used? I cant find the one for dsm 5.0-4458 ds3612xs and with the one from synology it says file is corrupted

Also did you changed the mac adress or added a serial? Which updates did you use (can u provide a link)?

Would apreciate your help. im a noob :/

• 4 weeks later...

EDIT: The Solution I found was to increase the 2GB Disk into a 5GB Disk and it work perfect.

Im having a problem while installing right after you select the .pat file and start to install I keep on getting "Failed to .

The files i'm using are "Nanoboot 5.0.3.1 X64 ISO Edition" and "DSM_DS3612xs_4493.pat" Downloaded from Synology.

Error: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2qs7eoeofsdw5 ... .09.01.png

VM Settings: https://www.dropbox.com/s/z3ct817e1pg1p ... .12.08.png

(Synology-Install.vhdx is a fresh 2GB Fixed Size)

I setup the new dsm in my hyper-v and want to migrate the old data (my films etc)

When im adding another SCSI controller and add my old data HD as physical device the dsm repairs it, but is only able to use the free space and doesnt show the old data in the fileManager

Do you know a way to get this done?

• 10 months later...
How large should I configure the initial hard drive for installation to be? is 10GB enough, or is more recommended?

An 8GB drive should do it. :smile:

Great thanks, I noticed it only uses 6.4GB :smile:

Secondly, how do I make the "rmmod=ata_piix" mod to the .config file? I'm using XPEnoboot ... when I edit the .ISO file in WinImage it gives me a "The Image is Full" error.

Thanks.

Is it possible to enable Jumbo Frames with Hyper-V + Xpenology? I don't see the option in the Network Interface section.

I did notice that upon first boot it did mention something being 100mbits only, but I think this maybe a "fake" message because my transfer rates are >30MB/s.

• 7 years later...