XPEnology Community

Introduce yourself here

Polanskiman

Hello there,

My name is Michel, I'm based in Belgium and doing technical presales in the telecom/IT security world.

Built my first XPEnology in VMWare, was quite straightforward I have to say.

Also built my first baremetal rig, Intel i3 based. Works with no issues so far & still learning :)

I'll provide details of this rig in another post. I did spend 40€ on this hardware :P

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.

Gerhardt here from South Africa.

I recently got the .pat file for DS3617sx running (but not the DS916+ one?) on an old Dell E6420 laptop of mine in order to familiarize myself with the DSM operating system.

I really like the the potential of running the Synology DSM on my own hardware so I'm already planning on a custom-built NAS to store my media as well as run the surveillance around my house.

I trust that this community is the go-to place for info and support.

Cheers.

Hi at all

Rolf here from Switzerland.

Iam using Synology Boxes for almost 1 decade and i am really satisfy with them,but i am planning to make my own NAS from scrab will say do the case by myself because i am a mecanic.

And it will be done silent with passive cooling of the CPU with Heatpipe.

I will do it with six HD Cases like this one : see Picture below

Mainboard will be : C2550D4I - ASROCK MAINBOARD MINI-ITX INTEL AVOTON C2550 4-CORE CPU 4xDIMM DDR3 see Picture below

4 RAM : Kingston KVR13R9S4L/8 see Picture below

I hope i got no Problem with that Hardware because i am new to this but have read a lot in this forum and also study the howto from Polanskiman.I will use Jun's Loader 1.02b with the DS3615xs Image.I will post some pictures in the future of building the NAS.

HD_CASE.jpg

ASROCK_C2550D4I.jpg

RAM.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/5/2018 at 7:10 AM, nemonx said:

Hi,

Name's Z

Freelancing at home playing around determination 2.
Help newbie here thanks.
Specialize in any IT branch.

For SEA...

Welcome to both of us, I'm also an IT but I'm working as a Web Designer at Petstreetmall which is an online store that sells cat supplies.

Edited by Polanskiman
No advertisement allowed. Link removed.

On 5/7/2018 at 9:21 AM, Diana Welz said:

Welcome to both of us, I'm also an IT but I'm working as a Web Designer at Petstreetmall which is an online store that sells cat supplies.

Good for you. Where you come from anyway? I'm from SEAMless country. XD

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I am an old time Synology user. My first DS207+ unit died shortly after it was no longer supported in newer versions of DSM. Now I am looking to make that unit operational again using a new SBC, new disks and XPEnology. The plan is to get most of the existing external controls and connectors operational again. The biggest challenge is to find an STB with suitable dimensions, power characteristics and IO capabilities. The UP-squared board is a great candidate as is the GA-SBCAP3350. The simplest integration looks to be the SBCAP3350 as it has two internal SATA connectors and dual SATA power. The board is fairly power efficient and uses a single DC power input, so it can be powered from the external power unit. The SBC supports 4 USB ports and has two PCIe internal connectors for possible other IO boards. The SRC also supports a case fan, and various front panel lights and switches, similar to the one on the DS207+. 

I have been doing hardware projects from time to time both professionally and privately. My first hardware project was more than 30 years ago. I have designed PCB's, written various unix device drivers and designed a few VLSI chips. 

The main goal of the project is to see if it is possible to make an old unit operational again, retaining the old school looks but with updated internals.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/7/2018 at 10:21 AM, Diana Welz said:

Which country is that. Im not familiar with that place. hehe XD

Hello,

I am geky and an owner of 2 synology NASs from 2014.

I am preparing to build my first XPENOLOGY and have ordered the parts already.

I will surely ask questions in other parts of the forum, for the time I am busy reading the information about the XPENOLOGY project and loaders etc.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

I'm software developer and I am trying to set up a xpenology in an old computer. I didn't know about this until a friend told me about a personal server at home.

It'a very good option for keep backups and use it as media server.

See you!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

hi there, im daniel from germany, im very interested in the dsm self build nas. computer is a hobby, but im not a pro-pro-sumer, just a windows user ;)

i hope i can build my own nas to play around with it and my existing ds116 (wanted to get a ds718+) OR selfmade even better ^^

regards

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, 

I'm aerothermal engineer coming from France. Using Xpenology on a dedicated server (P5NE-SLI, Core 2 Quad Q9400, 8gigs RAM) for now 3 years under DSM 5.2 working like a charm.

I come on this forum to improve myself about DSM 6.0 and upper version as I still struggle with drivers (2x Sil 3114 cards for exemple).

Hope to find some information here.

Very good job seen on this forum.

Take care.

Bikester 

Hello,

First time building a NAS I have built many desktop systems in the past.

I plain on using the following hardware,

• ASRock B360M Pro4 LGA 1151 (300 Series) Intel B360 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
  • PCIe NVMe Gen3x4 M.2 2280 240GB SSD (ASX8200NP-240GT-C) w/ Black XPG Heatsink
  • 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2666 (PC4 21300) Intel X99 Platform Extreme Performance Memory
  • Fractal Design Node 804 Black Window Aluminum/Steel MATX  Cube Computer Case
  • Intel Core I Plus i5+ 8500 Coffee Lake 6-Core 3.0 GHz (4.1 GHz Turbo) 65W BO80684I58500 Processor Intel UHD Graphics 630
  • EVGA 850 GQ POWER SUPPLY
  • 2 2TB Drives
  • 2 1TB Drives

Need to decide on the OS and software ...

I also want to have some VM's running but first want to get the NAS up and running and then PLEX I can have up to 64gig of memory which I'm thinking about maybe another 16 or 32 next since I would like to us the 16 gig I have now.

Hello everyone!

As for what I read in the instructions and rules I will be introducing myself.

I'm looking to build my first NAS device, I came across with a video last night on where they show how to install the xpenology which it kind of cut my attention.

I have PMS on a W10 PC gaming machine, I barely use it for gaming and I decided to use the hardware to something that my wife and I like to do, what TV shows and movies. I heard a lot of good things about DSM. I never had a chance to had an original box (Synology NAS) because I bought another brand. no complaints about it but as the media grows the more transcoding is need it. So I'm glad I found out about the Open source. I hope I can learn a lot of new things from this forum and be welcome by everyone.