XPEnology Community

Introduce yourself here

Polanskiman

total noob here, been following for a while and finally got all the parts i needed.  I used to have a DS212J until that died on me about 6 months ago. 

Here is my Xpenology set up

Asus P5Q EM DO

Intel E6330 CPU

4 GB Ram

2 x WD Red 4 TB 

1 x WD Green 500 GB

Jun's 6.3 loader with the Custom extra.lzma ramdisk.

it took me just under 15 minutes to get the whole thing up and running (After i realized I needed the custom extra.lzma file) 

I'm going to see if I can add an Intel x25-m as a SSD Cache in the coming weeks. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.. Name is Paul from Miami,FL,USA.

I fix airplanes for a living, and enjoy computers as a hobby.

Learned about XPEnology after purchasing my first Synology box a few weeks ago (DS1817+).

And since then I have repurposed my 2 old HP MediaSmart Servers to run as Backups for the DS1817+.

Got both HP MediaSmart Servers EX485 and EX495 running XPEnology 6.2 on JUN's 1.03b Loader.

20181013_185220 (Small).jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks,

I'm a lost-cause kinda aging nerd - I can't help myself when it comes to trying out all kinds of options before paying for software (or hardware for that matter). The $$ aren't that big a problem - I guess I enjoy the challenge.

Anyway, storage at home led me to a Freenas environment for a while. Working with linux for many years, I was keen to build up my freebsd skills. 

It as a satisfying ride for quite some time. Freenas is everything you could want it to be. I bought a beefy whitebox and went crazy with virtualbox and all kinds of (sometimes tricky) configuration.

At end-of-financial year, I decided to look for a low power box so I could leave the NAS functions online (already using many raspian boxes for various projects). I went shopping at my local (Ultimo in Sydney AUS) shop for a low power box to be my freenas always-on box..

I had a bit of a rush of blood and bought a DS218+ and some new drives - go figure.. there were no good, cheap off the shelf options that didn't need a lot of fiddling about.

The Synology DS218 became my favourite new toy. 

In no time flat, I'm running out of space on the DS218 ;-)... Thought about a DS918+ and giving my DS218 to one of my kids.

Somehow, I stumbled across the xpenology project and stopped dead in my tracks. I'm often asked by family and friends to help them with their home kit. What I've learned so far makes xpenology sound like a great option for people watching their dollars. I'm going to dive in and use it for a while - see if my daughter and sons might get a nice new Christmas present (build from spares or course - making something is always more satisfying than handing over $$$.

Looking forward to the experience!

Ben

• Like 3

Hi folks,

I'm a lost-cause kinda aging nerd - I can't help myself when it comes to trying out all kinds of options before paying for software (or hardware for that matter). The $$ aren't that big a problem - I guess I enjoy the challenge.

Anyway, storage at home led me to a Freenas environment for a while. Working with linux for many years, I was keen to build up my freebsd skills. 

It as a satisfying ride for quite some time. Freenas is everything you could want it to be. I bought a beefy whitebox and went crazy with virtualbox and all kinds of (sometimes tricky) configuration.

At end-of-financial year, I decided to look for a low power box so I could leave the NAS functions online (already using many raspian boxes for various projects). I went shopping at my local (Ultimo in Sydney AUS) shop for a low power box to be my freenas always-on box..

I had a bit of a rush of blood and bought a DS218+ and some new drives - go figure.. there were no good, cheap off the shelf options that didn't need a lot of fiddling about.

The Synology DS218 became my favourite new toy. 

In no time flat, I'm running out of space on the DS218 ;-)... Thought about a DS918+ and giving my DS218 to one of my kids.

Somehow, I stumbled across the xpenology project and stopped dead in my tracks. I'm often asked by family and friends to help them with their home kit. What I've learned so far makes xpenology sound like a great option for people watching their dollars. I'm going to dive in and use it for a while - see if my daughter and sons might get a nice new Christmas present (build from spares or course - making something is always more satisfying than handing over $$$.

Looking forward to the experience!

Ben
Awesome Ben I've been running Xpenology for 3 years now on my Dell R710 I also just picked up a synology DS718+

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Hi all,

My name is Fred, i'm French and still working (retiring in a few months) in IT company as a bid manager in outsourcing.

It's a long time I run Linux systems for my own needs and to share with some friends of mine.

So if I can help, it will be with pleasure.

Best regards.

Fred

• Thanks 1

I am a retired tech from Xerox Corporation. Been building pc's since the beginning it was possible do. Before that worked on CPM machines. Love anything Technical. From South Dakota but right now living in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas. Much better weather this time of year. Love the site. Lots of information that helped me get my nas going. Was using Whs V1 and V2 and after that was no longer supported have been using Windows server 2016 essentials, which for my need is way more than I needed as it's just for home use. Love Xpenology os.

Hi

I'm a Danish Windows IT-supporter.

But I'm a newbie when it comes to Xpenology..

I have only had one Synology NAS,  it  was the now obsolete DS207+

I just have 1 question..

I need recommendation for a motherboard (ITX) AMD or Intel doesn't  matter,  just as long that is DDR3 compatible for My first XPEnology build.

Greetings from Denmark

PCDOK2R3N

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there, 

I'm in Sydney, Australia and having just happily hacked my actual DS409 to 6.2 using the trick of fooling the updater into thinking it was DS411j, I've got myself all excited and ambitious, and bought a lovely mint condition HP N40L, filled it with 5 x 2TB WD Blacks, (of which I still can only get 4 to be seen, but I’m working on that and have found a BIOS and instructions that I think might get me there!).

I've failed miserably on my numerous attempts to install 6.2 on that N40L, still not quite familiar enough with what I'm supposed to do to synoboot_3617.zip to get it to work, but I’m hopeful that there's some explanation somewhere that someone can point me to that is a noob-friendly step-by-step guide on what the heck I'm supposed to do with the extra.lzma files, etc. 

In the meantime, this wonderful forum has allowed me to get it to 6.1.7 and happily writing away from another server at 112MB/s. I am so incredibly happy that it's working, I'm pretty sure I'd be even more ecstatic once I can work out how to get it to 6.2 without it disappearing forever from the network and losing all my files.  

So, forum members, a HUGE thank-you from a noob down under for getting me even this far! 

MJ

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

I'm running a Synology ds1515+, love modding things, and growing tired with my current setup's performance when doing things that are CPU intensive.. (transcoding, unzipping, etc.), but I do like the DSM interface and system. Found out about Xpenology - going to be looking for more info here!

Hi all

I'm Tony I have used the xpenology forum site for help when building my NAS and currently running DSM 5.2 which I've had for 2 yrs and would like to upgrade my system to 6.xx 

I have a HP Proliant Gen-8 1620T as my main production server and a HP N40L to experiment with new versions and things

Hello, I'm a Microsoft .NET developer and have had a Microsoft based server for many years, first the now dead Windows Home Server and now a Windows 2016 server.  I use it for backing up my home network .. all windows machines.  It's great as it supports bare metal restore as well as file level incremental backups and also dedup.  I've been working on adding a local media streaming server and after some trouble decided to go linux route.  I now own two Sans Digital enclosures with 16 two terabyte drives each, and a couple Supermicro servers. 

The idea is to replace my Windows 2016 server and add another server to act as my media server.  I've decided on Xpenoplogy for my backups and a ProxMox server to run Plex.  I will run Kodi on an Nvidia Shield TV with a proxkodiconnect plugin.  I hope that Active Backup on Xpenology will do everything my old backup did.  If not Bacula might be an option.

Should be fun getting it all to work!

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 2:23 PM, dochammoc said:

The idea is to replace my Windows 2016 server and add another server to act as my media server.  I've decided on Xpenoplogy for my backups and a ProxMox server to run Plex.  I will run Kodi on an Nvidia Shield TV with a proxkodiconnect plugin.  I hope that Active Backup on Xpenology will do everything my old backup did.  If not Bacula might be an option.

Should be fun getting it all to work!

Welcome, you might consider a few more options for your backup strategy.  Bacula is functional but complex.  Synology backup software platforms are all finicky IMHO and the performance is not stellar.  For DSM NAS to DSM NAS backup, BTRFS snapshots/replication is excellent - efficient, fast and has a decent DSM UI.  For client backups, consider the free VEEAM version backed up to DSM share.

If you like the idea of BTRFS replication, you might revise the ProxMox box to also run XPE/DSM (not sure what other virtualization you have planned).  DSM runs Plex fine, either native Synology app or Docker.  Also, depending on your hardware, there can be benefits to run XPE under ESXi which would give you excellent virtualization options.

Edited by flyride

Hi!

I'm Adam from Australia, I've been casually browsing the forum for a few days now and just decided to join! 😊

I'm interested in building a NAS and using XPEnology to store media and run as a Plex server. I would also like to run Radarr, Sonarr and SABnzbd on the machine. I currently have all this running on a Windows 10 machine with a couple of cheap NAS boxes (Buffalo, Thecus) for storage but I would love to consolidate and get rid of the Windows machine and the Thecus NAS.

I have a Fractal Design Node 804 case sitting around without a purpose and I figure with it's HDD capacity it's perfect for a NAS build. So I'm looking for some recommendations on the rest of the hardware to populate the 804. My main interest in the Synology software is Hybrid Raid and the ability to add more hard drives as needed.

Thanks! :91_thumbsup:

• Like 1

Hi everyone. I am from Southern California USA.

I am really new to this and want to learn more. So I am here. I have grown to love NAS systems and this seems like a great challenge and a way to learn more. So you will see me around asking stupid questions but I am just trying to figure things out.

Be patient with me.

Thank you all.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well i got a DS110j that i have had a few years, still going strong.

Found a compaq elite 8000 knocking around at work so grabbed that on wednesday.

Due to the small form factor of this device and it only uses 2.5 inch drives, i have upgraded the one drive to 2tb and ordered a drive caddy for the other drive so i can have a small raid.

Got the one drive working last night with DSM 6.1 installed but have ordered a low profile usb stick as they are only pittance any way and will do some swapping of bits but will be mainly used at home as a small media server / Torrent sites

• Like 1

Salut a tous,  
Je m'appelles Joss, j'ai 40 ans et je vie en France.
Je suis graphiste et photographe, et il m'arrive de bidouiller des machines plus ou moins évoluées (sans entrer dans le code)

Je fais ici mes premiers pas dans le monde du NAS, j'ai entendu parler de leurs possibilités (qui pourraient bien aider mon workflow), mais je n'ai pas encore eu l'occasion de toucher à ce genre de machine. (hormis un premier test sur Freenas)
Je souhaite recycler des composants un peu anciens, question de budget, pour voir ce que je peux en tirer.

Hi all, Josh here, 40 years old, from France, 
I'm graphist, photographer,  and IT curious (really not expert)
I'm doing my first steps in the NAS world, just hear about but never touch anything (just a little quick try on Freenas)
I hope to build a machine from old spare parts I've got, and see what's possible to do with.

La machine:
Motherboard : GA-T671MG (Gigabit)
Processor: Celeron dual core E3200
RAM : 2x 1Go DDR2
HDD: 3x 1To
Pci cards extends: 2x VIA VT6421A  + MSI STAR usb3/Sata6 (PEX8608-BA50BC G) PCIe 4x

20190209_185750.jpg

Edited by JoshB
  • Like 1