XPEnology Community

Introduce yourself here

Polanskiman

Hi Evreyone,

i am IT Intrested and selflearning German.

I am new in Synology and DSM, had some bad experience with Thecus N5550 and not really used it anymore and after i lost some Data i try now focus again in Security and NAS. I will use a Synology for my Critic business Data and a Windows VM as Backup for my Financial Software.

After i found Xpenolgy i now will try to use my Thecus N5550 for Video, Photo and Data with a better Software i hope.

I hope all can understand me my english is not so practised

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

I’m building my home server bay (virtualization server for domotic). I’m completely new to xpenology but i already have an old DS212j since years. It works well but becoming obsolete for what I would like to do.

since the end of google photo free storage, I would like to use synology photo in place. 

I’ve got an old server at home (NEC server express 5800 110rf) equipped with pentium 4 3.8GHz with EMT64 support (important criteria from my first search on xpenology).

i would like to use it to manage my pictures knowing that i will keep my old ds212j for data backup

now my questions, i would like to have your feedback: will xpenology be ok to be installed on this server? Is synology photo be fluid?

thanks in advance!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi Pete here,

Probably like most people here we love the gui DSM offers and occasionally complete noobs (like myself) register to ask questions

Ive got a pucker synology 216play and a desktop pc running iirc 104 loader and dsm 6.2.2-24922

I'll try find the right forum to ask the right question

Thanks everyone who makes this possible

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys ... I'm 46 and currently living in FR. I'm trying to get all tyhe infos so that I can build my first DIY NAS. 

I've been looking for the right OS to use but none of the main ones are pleasing me. As an old Synology NAS user (i have 3 of them since 10 years), I looked around and found XPenology project. What a wonderful thing to be able to use an OS I know perfectly on a machine so much more powerful than a Synology NAS :=)))

I hope I'll found what I still don't know ...

See ya all soon guys :=)

LePousson

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Skip and jump!!! A huge thank you to all those techheads who made it possible to install Synology DSM on a PC. I've finally managed it after a week and a half of frustration and failure. A bit of a 'vanilla' setup. DS3615 and DSM 6.1 1.02b (?) but by my ears and whiskers, it works! I'm hoping now to work on getting a more advanced system. It's good fun to play with and also useful. Thanks to all.

• Like 1

Hi together,

I'm Bernhard from Germany and I'm using Truenas with an i5 4570 for SMB shares and Emby, and for backup and surviallance station a DS220. 

I'm thinking of transfering the truenas into a synology because I'm not happy with the policy of emby. And there is no option to run docker at truenas. 

Now I'm not sure what hardware I should use. How do you connect HDD's to the laptop systems somebody use? I can't use USB HDD to create pools with my DS220. Truenas is able to create pools at USB HDD and also use a USB SSD for caching. 

I like the way using an old laptop becuase of less power cunsumption that a desktop pc, 

I hope I can find the answers here in the board!

Thx to everybody who makes this possible and help noobs like me out.

• Like 1

Hi guys! Newbie here. Just rescued an old pc with Ryzen 5 1500X and 16gb Ram to turn it to a NAS. Xpenology made it much easier than OMV. Now trying to figure out how to get qbittorrent, ds drive and home assistant up and running. Yesterday I managed to get it working but I had to uninstall docker to format the hdd in ext4 and now it´s like impossible to get to the webui

• Like 1

Hi, 

I'm IT technical with many years tinkering with all type of hardware.

Introduced in the NAS world (forgetting the old servers) with an ancient ReadyNAS NV+ little, slower, and strongest for their time.But new times call new technologies. I change the older ReadyNAS with an Synology DS1513+ (Netgear not  evolutinated the software how to Synology), and today in my work, we are using 12 units of differents kinds of Synology. (thats cool)

Well, I found this site finding some features, and my brain blinking with this genial stuff. My objective is use older HP i5 damaged laptop (display and chasis, the computer is functional) to make cheapest, fastest and i5 powered Xpenology NAS. I'm very acomodated with DSM and don't will like to make experiments with other software.

Thanks to all for this project!

• Like 1

Hello,

My day job is in construction and my hobby is an interest in computer technology. I’ve built many personal PC’s since the 1980’s and now want to learn more about IT systems, Linux OS’s and networking. I’ve set up a basic HomeLab on a Dell Optiplex 7010 and now am interested in building a HomeNAS.

After researching Open Media Vault, TrueNAS, and Synology I think XPEnology will fit into what I want. Looking forward to to learning a lot from this site.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

@defizr Welcome to the forum, the N36 will run DSM 6.2.3 with jun’s 1.03b loader, you have to disable C1E support in the bios though. If you want to try DSM 7 have a look at the redpill tinycore loader thread in the developer discussion section, this does require a bit more advanced knowledge though.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there!

My last visit here was just short of six years ago :-o  but I've never introduced myself.

I'm running a HP Gen8 microserver for family photos, videos, music and documents.

I suck at coding, but I can read and follow a guide *fingers crossed*  :-D

See you in the tutorial section!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello! I am an IT person a.k.a OA engineer in south korea, i used true nas but heard of this software and wanted to give it a try

as an IT person i always need data from everywhere, i home xpenology could help me regrouping all my scattered data.

CPU: Intel i7 2600

RAM: 16GB RAM DDR4

SSD: 128GB TEAMGROUP SSD

HDD: 2 x 2TB WD Purple HDD

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello there!

My name is Neil and I am an IT professional working with Kubernetes, Docker, VMware, Azure, AWS etc. etc. etc., based in Scotland.

I currently have a ReadyNAS RN104 which has been running for well over 10 years and has been flawless, but is now long in the tooth and I want to do more with my NAS than this thing can handle. My homelab consists of a couple of old rack mounted servers that run VMware ESXi and host several Linux/Windows VM, but these are starting to fail so I need to run the VMs elsewhere now, nothing urgent. I also have some old desktops that I

I have been looking at buying a Synology RS1221+ for my server rack at home or a DS1821+ just to sit on my desk. My ability to purchase is several months if not more away so I was looking for alternatives when I discovered Xpenology.

Taking the "newer" of my old desktops (a Dell OptiPlex 7010) I really want to use DSM 7 since that is what I would be on with the real device. I am hopeful that I might save some pennies and could even build myself a more powerful NAS running Xpenology. Time will tell!

I have made a start installing, but need some help so you will see me posting shortly :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Loader version and model: JUN'S LOADER v1.04b - DS918+

Installation type: BAREMETAL - Asus PRIME H310I-PLUS R2.0, NIC: Realtek® RTL8111H (onboard)

DSM 6.2.3-25426 Update 3

Intel i8  16 GB RAM

Rivo SATA III PCIe Card, 6 Sata Ports  In case someone is looking for one

used XPEnology tool and followed directions

running like a dream 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
En 10/17/2017 a las 10:55 AM, Polanskiman dijo:

Greetings to the forum. Introduced me. I am a computer freelance, technical engineer. for sooo many years. Driving a DS220J for a couple of years now.

Hola. Entiendo que deberia estar escribiendo en inglés. Despues lo pongo. Manejo un DS220j para una empresa desde hace un par de años. Tengo un proyecto para montar un nas en un pc he oido hablar muy bien de xpenology y voy a probarlo. Deseadme suerte.

Hello. I've been running a DS220j for a company for a couple of years. I have a project to mount a nas on a pc I have heard very good things about xpenology and I am going to try it. Wish me luck.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hello Everyone,

I am fairly new to the forum here.  Currently looking to setup a new Xpenology NAS to support my homelab with 1-3 Proxmox PVE servers.  This appears to be a fun rabbit hole to travel down.  Hopefully can get this working on my equipment.  Happy to hear suggestions.

Equipment:

Network:

Mikrotik CRS326-24S+2Q+RM 24-SFP+(10GB) 2-QSFP+(40GB) 1-Mgmt

Mikrotik CRS326-24G-2S+RM 24-GBe 2-10GBe 1-Mgmt

Planned NAS

(all on hand except where noted)

24 Bay Hotswap Rackmount Case with SAS2 backplane

Supermicro C7Z97MF Mainboard

I7 4790k

32 GB 1600Mhz Ram

250 GB Samsung Sata SSD

LSI 9205-8e SAS2 HBA PCIe 2.0

LSI 9207-8e SAS2 HBA PCIe 3.0 (on order will replace LSI 9205 when arrives)

Chelsio T580-CR 40GBase 2 port PCIe 3.0

Intel X520-DA1 10GBase PCIe 2.0

Chenbro CK23601 24 port SAS2 expander

Approximately 20 HDD various sizes

Cheers

Thaimichael

Thailand

• Like 1